Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

First push of brake pedal spongy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First push of brake pedal spongy

I bled the brakes system without incident 700 mi ago. Brakes were fine. The service minder then told me I needed to service the front brakes soon so I changed the pads and rotors in the front and the pads in the back.

During the install, I had to remove fluid from the master cylinder to accomodate fluid from pushing in the wheel cylinders so the new pads would fit. I never opened a bleeder valve or pushed the brake pedal.

I put it all back together, topped up the master cylinder and pumped the brakes. Had to add just a bit more fluid to bring it up to full. (It did not take all the fluid I removed in the beginning.)

During my test drive I noticed the first time I press the brake pedal it goes down more than usual and feels a bit spongy. After the first press, the next presses feel firm if I brake in succession. When I wait 30 seconds or so, the spongy feel is back for the first press.

Any suggestions of what to check or do? I don't want to drive the car until I get this solved. Do I need to bleed the system again even though I did not open it up?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to bed the pads. New brakes are not good until there is some material transfer from pads to rotors.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ost/Bed-in?v=2

Old 04-25-2012, 02:35 PM
stylin99
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini2na
I bled the brakes system without incident 700 mi ago. Brakes were fine. The service minder then told me I needed to service the front brakes soon so I changed the pads and rotors in the front and the pads in the back.

During the install, I had to remove fluid from the master cylinder to accomodate fluid from pushing in the wheel cylinders so the new pads would fit. I never opened a bleeder valve or pushed the brake pedal.

I put it all back together, topped up the master cylinder and pumped the brakes. Had to add just a bit more fluid to bring it up to full. (It did not take all the fluid I removed in the beginning.)

During my test drive I noticed the first time I press the brake pedal it goes down more than usual and feels a bit spongy. After the first press, the next presses feel firm if I brake in succession. When I wait 30 seconds or so, the spongy feel is back for the first press.

Any suggestions of what to check or do? I don't want to drive the car until I get this solved. Do I need to bleed the system again even though I did not open it up?
Did you ever figure out your problem? What fixed it? I have the same issue right now.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM
lcac1779
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is spongy just like someone mentioned, more than likely it need to be bled more or there’s a leak allowing air into the system. If that doesn’t work, then the master cylinder need replacing.

The following users liked this post:
dedave (02-15-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 04:51 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Could also just need some more bleeding too. Get a power bleeder - worth every penny

The following users liked this post:
dedave (02-15-2020)