Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Car less then 6 hours old, and already a flat!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 PM
qgriffith
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car less then 6 hours old, and already a flat!

I just picked up my brand new Coupe 2 2012 that I had ordered and built. When I got it, there was only 5 miles on it. I drove it the 30 miles back home and parked it. Was getting read to go out for a night on the town in my new car, and the on-board computer indicated a flat tire. Sure enough the front left tire was flat. I looked around the tread of the of tire and didn't see any nail holes. I suppose there is a chance I picked on up driving home. I called the dealer and they want me to call a service to have it towed to them on Monday. Leaving me with out a car and a way to work. There is a tire shop five minutes from my house that is open tomorrow that I think i am going to take it to just so I don't have to be stuck with out a car. The only thing I can think of that I either got a nail or the tire was not properly installed at the dealer. Has anyone heard of run flats going flat because of being improperly installed?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not runflats, but my S.Drives were not initially mounted properly and I had not one but TWO slow leaks.

First time, I had the car for about 24 hours, was heading onto the highway when the idiot light came on. Pulled over, checked pressure: 10PSI. Filled it up, limped home. Went to the shop and had them look at it, they said they'd taken care of the problem and sent me on my way.

Next day, I'm driving work to the same shop to address another problem (improperly balanced, lot of steering wheel vibration on the highway, also they forgot my center caps.) and a block from the shop, the idiot light goes on again. I flipped out a little. The owner overheard me bitching and demanded they actually remove the tire and re-mount it. They wanted to just look at it and fill it up again

Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
Tire was not installed at the dealer. It's been on for a long time. If it arrived at the point of sale with a leak and they aired it up and put you on the road, this is somewhere between a shame and criminal. I had a similar experience with a different car - brand new and it was a nail. The nail does not care how new the car is....

Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Put air back in the tire and see what happens. Might be the temperature because that does effect tire pressure. Could be a bunch of other stuff. Put air in the tire reset the light and drive and if comes back on go to the dealer if not don't worry about it. Also I would hope you have a tire gauge too so that you can make sure the tire pressure.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:24 AM
qgriffith
Neutral
Sadly it turns out something punctured the inside tread of the tire. Of course the tire shop didn't have that tire in stock, so I have to wait till tomorrow for them to get one from the warehouse. Never had a flat tire before in my 15 years of driving, but of course I get one with in 6 hours of getting a new car! I am the luckiest man in the world