Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do I have to replace 195/55/16 with same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all:

My runflats finally died.

I've been doing some research, but there's lots I don't understand about tires and performance (except that they're super important).

Decided to go non runflat, and thought Continental or Bridgestone. But there's not much out there locally.

Can I get a different size tire on the same rim? I saw a thread where someone said most folk go to 205/50r16 or 205/55r16. Can I do that? What are the implications for handling?

2008 MCS, manual, 350-400 miles per week (50% freeway / 50% street), speedy but not insane cornering...

Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Yes, those two sizes are popular changes from the OE size. The 205/50/16 is the "sportier" choice (slightly lower and wider), and the 205/55/16 is slightly taller and wider, so improves ride slightly. Alex at Tire Rack says that the 205/55/16 can be tall enough to rub the bottom of the fender at full suspension compression on some applications. Either way, the additional width is no problem, and the tires are molded for the 6.5" wide OE rims.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Glad to hear you are going away from the runflats; the ride will be so much nicer and quiter.

Do some of your research here at this web site: www.1010tires.com
go to: tire & wheel tech then to: Tire Size Calculator

Put in the stock size then the sizes you are thinking about. all the details are there as to the differences in speed, tire height, width, suggested rim width, etc .....................

MiniKar

Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Switching to the "alternate" 16' sizes are simple, cheap, and provides a few more tire options...
the one with a slightly smaller diameter will give you a tiny bit more torque..., but higher cruising rpm...
The one that os slightly larger is the opposite...you can use one of the various tire sixe calcultor to determine how far off you speedo will be...
Wider tire will give you more grip...less mpg...
Same for rpms..lower rpms, bigger tire, generaly better mpg, but less performance...
Most folks look st sidewall height too...
Taller is better ride, better speedbump clearance, but less handling...it is all about compermise.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been going through the same decision process. I'm still running 195/55/16 original runflats due to the very low mileage.

Tire shops have informed me that a switch to 205/50/16 would not be a problem and with that size there are better choices. In fact the difference in size is just a few millimetres.

Almost pulled the trigger on a set of Bridgestone 760's at a great price but at the last minute they were not available at the shop |I was using.

After a visit to Detroit Tuned and getting their advice and more investigation on the web, I've decided to go with Continental DW's in the spring.

Good luck with your search....

Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Replaced mine with 205/50/16's on Enkei wheels, 16X7 and they fit great. No rubbing, a little wider and lower. Looks better IMO. Got wheels and tires from Tire Rack. Car is not lowered (stock), but seems to look a little lower. Tires I bought a Yokohama S drives (summer tires) since I live down south and down need all season.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 AM
surlycat
2nd Gear
Very helpful replies!

Handling is more important to me than a sportier look. Don't particularly want to go any lower with the ride. I like the idea of less bone-shaking, but I'd take a quieter ride over a few bumps any day. I want to keep my control under acceleration - Mini's "get-up-and-go" is my #1 adorable factor. Move and groove. Not many corners for me here in So Cal...and I'm a bit timid on speed, corners, and mountainous drops. Our Ortega Hwy is lethal.

I like the fairly firm handling, would hate to be behind something sloppy, spongy and loose. I've also read that psi makes a difference - i.e. doing something different than is recommended can firm up the tire and change handling too.

I plugged in some info from MiniKar's recommended site www.1010tires.com comparing the tires. I'm not sure how to interpret this part of the data - my speedo will be off? Which will affect me how? I'm sorry to be so ignorant. What about the RPM's - gas consumption?

Stock Tire - 195/55R16 Revs per Mile: 851.0 Actual Speed: 60 mph

Tire 1 - 205/50R16 Revs per Mile:864.1 Speedometer1:60.9 mph Speedometer Difference: 1.539% too fast

Tire 2 - 205/55R16 Revs per Mile:836.3 Speedometer1: 58.9 mph Speedometer Difference: 1.757% too slow

I'm just trying to make an informed decision, so I know what I'm doing and how it will affect my driving, vehicle performance, and appreciation of my ride. :-)

Last edited by surlycat; 12-09-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: adding data
Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Forgot to mention, the 205/50/16's as recommened by Tire Rack is 35psi whereas the stock 195/55/16's (from door panel) state 33 psi. Handles great but I've also installed the H-Sport 19mm rear sway bar set to the middle setting. That and the tires and width difference really makes it handle better. The only thing I don't like about the S drive tires is they are abit noisey.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
surlycat: If your speedo is like most, it already reads (indicates) a few mph more than the car's actual speed; maybe somewhere between 2 and 4 mph more than actual speed. Thus, the smaller diameter 205/50 should increase whatever over-read you have by about 1 mph, while the 205/55 should reduce your over-read by about 1 mph. I consider either change to be minor and non-problematic. Once you determine what your speedo error actually is, you can keep that in mind as you drive.

The Tire Rack web site provides information on several handling and ride comfort characteristics (including noise) of specific tires in their tests and surveys to help in selecting the tire that best meets your preferences.

You'll need to first determine whether you want a summer tire or an all season; then within those, how much handling you want versus ride comfort (it's not likely you'll maximize both with the same tire). High Performance summer tires (Extreme, Maximum, and Ultra High Performance categories) usually give up some ride comfort in exchange for more grip and handling, but they don't work very well in very cold weather; especially in snow. All season tires work better in cold weather and light snow, but can't match the grip/handling of high performance summer tires when it's warm and dry. Grand Touring tires (available in both summer and all season versions) seem to emphasize ride comfort more. I've never owned any of those, so that category is still something of a mystery to me.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 12-09-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Good write up on tires.
You can do a google search for tire speed calculator and find the difference in old vs new tire size and what the effect on speed is.
My 205/50/16's from my 195/55/16's only throw off my speed minimally.
So little of a difference I don't worry about it. I usually don't speed anyway. The reason I got the summer tires is I don't have to deal with cold temps (at least not constantly cold, it does get in the 30's down here but usually only lasts a couple of days). So, the summer tires for me are sufficient plus I like the grip. They do ride a little harder and the Yokohama's are difinetly louder than the Hankook's I removed. The prior tires were not run flats. The did ride smoother and quieter.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
surlycat
2nd Gear
You've all been so helpful. Thank-you!

I have reached a make and model decision...but am still pondering size.

The winner is Yokohama AVID Envigor (like so many on this forum), but debating whether to go 205/50/16 or 205/55/16 (my runflats were 195/55/16).

I'm pretty sure I'll like the aesthetics of the 205/55/16, but in another thread (where I've also posted same question) debating the two sizes, there are concerns about fender rubbing with the 205/55/16. Any comments or observations on this issue?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I'd go with the 50's. They look good and they perform well. The slightly lowered stance is minimal but I think the rub issue is definetly solved with the 50's. Yokohoma's are great tires for the price which ever one you go with. I think in my gallery I have other pics of my car (side view) with the 205/50/16's so you may be able to get an idea of what they look like on the car.
Oh, you'll also notice the 205/50's stick out just abit from the wheel well. Makes the well seem more filled with rubber.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
drsimmons

Your picture was helpful - may I compliment you on a very clean looking Mini. Makes me want new rims!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
kazlot
4th Gear

Originally Posted by surlycat
You've all been so helpful. Thank-you!

I have reached a make and model decision...but am still pondering size.

The winner is Yokohama AVID Envigor (like so many on this forum), but debating whether to go 205/50/16 or 205/55/16 (my runflats were 195/55/16).

I'm pretty sure I'll like the aesthetics of the 205/55/16, but in another thread (where I've also posted same question) debating the two sizes, there are concerns about fender rubbing with the 205/55/16. Any comments or observations on this issue?
As far as rubbing is concerned I don't know if you will rub when running a 205/55/16 tire.
If your car is not lowered it would help with clearance issues.
If you do rub it would most likely occur only when fully loaded or when hitting large bumps at a high rate of speed.

The sizes of the tires are: 205/55 is 24.88, the 205/50 is 24.07 and the 195/55 is 24.44 in overall diameter.

The big difference in either size vs runflats will be the ride as they have softer sidewalls.
The handling will be less crisp with the 205/55 vs the 205/50 and the 205/50 less crisp than the runflats.

Were not talking major differences for a daily driver so if your worried about rubbing the 205/50 is the ticket.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surlycat
drsimmons

Your picture was helpful - may I compliment you on a very clean looking Mini. Makes me want new rims!

Thank you so much. I try and keep it up. Your CR looks fine with the silver rims. Mine didn't look as good with the stock rims that's why I went with the gunmetal grey color.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I mentioned the possibility of the 205/55s rubbing the bottom of the fender (not at the fender lip) only because I remembered Alex of Tire Rack mentioning TR receiving some complaints about that, so you might "talk" to him about it. It might be only at full suspension compression, and only with lowered springs. I just don't know. There seem to be others who have been using the 205/55s (for a more comfortable ride) without any such problem.

The Yoko Envigors are apparently a very popular tire for MINIs, and they come in all three sizes you've mentioned.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Surlycat....me again. Better mention this if you haven't thought about it.
Since you'll be going to conventional tires, not run flats, and you have an MCS, you won't have a spare because there is no place to mount one.
What I've done and alot of others do is get yourself some bottled SLIME, green goo that comes in a plastic bottle. You can get the entire kit, slime and a compressor that you use in the accessory plug-in or the lighter plug-in. I've never had to use it yet but it suppose to work pretty well. Also, tire places are more apt to work with the slime (water soluble) vs the other stuff called FIXAFLAT.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I mentioned the possibility of the 205/55s rubbing the bottom of the fender (not at the fender lip) only because I remembered Alex of Tire Rack mentioning TR receiving some complaints about that, so you might "talk" to him about it. It might be only at full suspension compression, and only with lowered springs. I just don't know. There seem to be others who have been using the 205/55s (for a more comfortable ride) without any such problem.
Particularly if you have people in back. I have had them also rub before with only a driver in the car. Just know your treading into the possibility...

Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
drsimmons

Thanks for thinking about the flat situation. It was on my mind too, as I drove my first ful day on these nice new tires. I have primed myself to be ready for "when" I get a flat, rather than "if".

So you recommend SLIME eh? I'll get myself some asap. Also have AAA, so they can tow me somewhere for a repair if needed. Only bummer about the regular tires. Have to say, my ride was very quiet today - I felt like I was gliding on pillowy down! Those runflats were so DONE!

:-)

Happy motoring

Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Super. Did you go with the 50 series?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
50's yes. Luvverly tires. Great tread, and perfect for today's unusual So Cal aqua-planing opportunity. Quite a downpour, but no doughnuts for me. Yay. Most of the other drivers seemed to exercise due caution - very irregular. Now for some SLIME, and I'll be set.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM
bigbacon
2nd Gear
does this hold true for non S cars with the OEM 195/55/16s because that size has some pretty poor offerings.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Without knowing what specifically you're asking about "holding true", I've been assuming that the above discussion of alternative tire sizes applies to the OE 16X6.5 wheel size in general, whether it's on an S or a non-S.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM
bigbacon
2nd Gear
yea our 2008 mini came with 16s with runflats.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
before you buy a slime kit, i suggest going to your favorite tire store and asking them how much they charge to repair a tire after it has been slimed

my local store adds a $100 minimum add-on charge for a slimed tire, no matter if it is water soluble or not, the woman at the checkout counter says it is usually $150 plus the normal $15 repair

not only do they have to clean your tire/wheel, but it makes a mess of the tire changing machine and you pay for that cleanup too

they (the tire store) and i recommend a plug kit, they can remove the temporary plug and install a permanent plug-patch for $15, including balancing

i carry a dynaplug kit instead of slime

scott

Quick Reply: Do I have to replace 195/55/16 with same?