Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Nitto Motivo - guess someone has to go first ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nitto Motivo - guess someone has to go first ...

I have not been able to find any feedback on this new tire of Nitto's. But in asking about the tire at the local Discount Tire store, they basically made me a deal that was too tempting not to give the tire a shot.

The tires had to be ordered and likely will not be at the shop until next Monday or Tuesday, so I won't be able to post any pictures or feedback until next week.

I ended up paying $573.XX (receipt is in the car) out the door for the four tires -- this includes tires, mounting, lifetime balance, TPMS rebuild kit, road hazard replacement certificates, CA tire fee, disposal fees, and sales tax. Tire size is 215/45ZR17.

The other tire I was thinking about were the Continental ExtremeContact DWS which seem to get all thumbs up from Mini owners. Hopefully I do not regret going first...

Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 AM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep us posted with how they are once you get'em

Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
minijackcorn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motivo

These don't look too bad. I am thinking about set for the Countryman S.
Do you know anything about the weight?
I emailed Nitto for the weight of the both the Motivio and the Invo in
225-45-18. I will no doubt be next week before they answer.
Bruce
2011 Royal Gray Countryman S, Auto, All4, all options except Nav.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
minijackcorn
1st Gear
Motivo weight

From the Nitto people:

Thank you for contacting Nitto Tire.

The weight of the 225/45ZR18 Motivo is 24.3 lbs.
The weight of the 225/45ZR18 Invo is 25.6 lbs.

Bruce
CMS all4 auto

Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Just a quick followup to note that the Motivo tires were mounted yesterday at the local Discount Tire store. I cancelled their tire replacement certificate as it only covers replacement for 3 years and Discount Tire already gives you a free prorated road hazard coverage. So, that takes $75.80 off the price I paid, making the four tires cost out the door (mounted, lifetime balance, TPMS rebuild kit, prorated road hazard coverage, 60000 mile treadwear warranty, taxes and fees) only $497.32 -- to me a great deal.

I took the car to Vista Brakes and Service today and paid $65 for a four wheel alignment -- this was the first alignment this car has ever seen (picked up 10/4/2008, 38150 miles) so it was probably more than overdue. The front alignment was basically still within spec, but the rear was out of spec. But everything (front and rear) got readjusted back to where the tech said they should be. They give you the before / after printouts, so if anyone wants the info, I can scan the printout and attach. I have to say that I really liked this shop -- they very much seemed to know what they were doing, they took the vehicle out on the road both before and after (the other places that I have gotten alignment have never taken the cars for a drive either before or after), and there were an impressive set of cars being worked on there that implied "this is the place to bring your vehicle". When my car needs brakes, and I don't want to bend over for the dealer, I'm going to bring the car back there.

I'll post more on the tires after I give them a little time to break in and then I take them on some twisties.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
fenderless 33
2nd Gear
I would be interested in what the ride is like. Did you still have the run flats before the Nittos? I still have my run flats and looking to get ride of them.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
I ditched the run flats at 10,000 miles. I now have about 38,200.

I'm happy with the Nitto's, but I need more miles and time before I can give a follow-up report. But I would say the noise level is excellent (i.e. very little noise from tires, though to me now that the car is 3+ years old I would not call it a quiet car, i.e. there are other sources of noise), and the ride comfort (not feeling every imperfection in the road) is likely as good as it's going to get with a 17" tire with a 45 profile.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer

I'm happy with the Nitto's, but I need more miles and time before I can give a follow-up report. But I would say the noise level is excellent (i.e. very little noise from tires, though to me now that the car is 3+ years old I would not call it a quiet car, i.e. there are other sources of noise), and the ride comfort (not feeling every imperfection in the road) is likely as good as it's going to get with a 17" tire with a 45 profile.
While not on a Mini, I just threw a set of 215/45-17 on my Subaru and have the same feeling as above. Noise level is a lot less than my old set of BFG KDW's and the Motivo feels like it is absorbing a certain amount of energy from rough surfaces (not allowing the imperfections to work it's way through the suspension). I'm really happy with the tire thus far. We're supposed to get snow this weekend (in Seattle), so I may get to test the All Season performance very soon. Thumbs up for a very reasonably priced All Season UHP tire.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
RaddRide
Neutral
Keep updated

I am also interested in this tire and am looking to buy something buy the end of March...... My eagle gt's are about done after only 22000 miles

Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
I really like them. I couldn't ask for more in a tire that I use for every day driving.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Socially Distorted
2nd Gear
I just picked up some 18" wheels and now I am selling my 17" Nitto Motivo's. Check the Market Place for my ad.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by aafflyer

Looks like the Motivo has some advanced technology design- you get more treadwear and decent handling and traction in all weather even some snow with decent comfort vs Nitto Neo Gen their other UHP all season tire with a much lower treadwear rating. The Neo Gen may have a softer rubber that wears but offers better dry handling.

When comparing tires your old worn out hard tires are always going to be noisy compared to nearly any new soft rubber tire initially.

For daily driving and street use I think you will find the Motivo to be a good choice especially given you got it at a good price installed.

Another decent choice would be-
Kumho ecsta 4x UHP all season tire
205/45-17 $101 each 420 treadwear 20 lbs each, W speed rated

Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
aafflyer - Any updates on the Nitto Motivo tires since you've been running them for a few months now? These are high on my list to replace my nearly worn Pirelli run flats, but I'd like to know how the noise, comfort and cornering levels are after a few thousand miles.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM
rum4
Banned
any updates?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Apologies for not seeing the requests for updates earlier...

So its been about 3 1/2 months with the tires. Tires have been great in the rain we've had in the San Diego area. I still like the ride of the tires especially if I am not pushing them really hard in the turns. I think initially they felt perhaps a little squirmy (is that a word?) in a hard corner, but a lot of people say new tires will do that as they work our / release the moulding compound. So based on that I didn't really push them too hard for quite some time.

But lately, I've been pushing more in corners -- haven't gone on runs with our local clubs, but I have been running a lot harder into this one exit which has a very short 180 degree turn back the opposite way and the tires seem good.

I think overall they are still a plus -- especially if I get close to the miles they are rated for.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 AM
rum4
Banned
aafflyer, thanks for the update. I am awaiting delivery of my motivos as I type this. I bought them based off your postings about the tires. Thanks for "being the first".

Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
+1 thanks for the update. They sound very similar to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS - good at everything, but just not great in the corners. I had entered the Motivo Experience promotion hoping to be picked to receive a free set in return for frequent reviews, but as much as I'd like a free set of tires, I don't think these are the tires for me (not to mention it's been a month and I haven't been chosen.)

I commute daily through the canyons here in Southern California and rely on a tire that has good turn-in and has a lot of cornering confidence. I hate to pass on a tire with that kind of tread warranty.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
rum4
Banned
I think the tire will have good turn in. Mine are still new, 100 miles put on them today and they respond very good so far..

Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
rum4
Banned
so after 300+ miles on the new tires started pushing them thru the on and off ramps as I go to work. The tires respond quickly to the slightest input and my confidence in them going into corners is growing quickly. I do believe that the Dragon is going to be a blast on these tires. Will post more later

Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM
rum4
Banned
ok so after 5 days at MOTD. I am really impressed with the Nitto Motivos. They handle great on those twisties and curves. The turn in is crisp and when you make a steering change they respond immediately. Normally I would squall the tires on some of those tires with my RFs but not with these tires. I took the turns as hard, if not harder than with my RFs and could not get them to break loose. love these tires!! I am glad aafflyer took that first leap on these, his reports helped me make up my mind....

Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rum4
ok so after 5 days at MOTD. I am really impressed with the Nitto Motivos. They handle great on those twisties and curves. The turn in is crisp and when you make a steering change they respond immediately. Normally I would squall the tires on some of those tires with my RFs but not with these tires. I took the turns as hard, if not harder than with my RFs and could not get them to break loose. love these tires!! I am glad aafflyer took that first leap on these, his reports helped me make up my mind....
Thanks for a great update. I had written these tire off since I don't really need an all-season tire nor want to give up responsive turn in and cornering. Now it looks like I'll have to put them back on my list.

The price and warranty are hard to beat, and if they ride quietly like others say they do, AND they handle well, then they just might be my next tire.

PIC REQUEST: I've seen Nitto's website pics, but would someone mind posting a pic of them (preferably in 215/45/17) on their MINI? It would be much appreciated!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 PM
jimalameda
2nd Gear
Thanks for the updates..I'm following this thread.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
rum4
Banned
Here are a few pics in 215/45/17 on my Clubman

Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM
rum4
Banned
so after a few (3000) miles on the these tires still loving them. Going around corners amazingly fast and not even breaking loose a little bit, no tire squealing. They are quit and do well on the wet roads, maybe inspiring too much confidence on my part.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM
rum4
Banned
well after another couple hundred miles and two days on the dragon tail, must say that these Nittos are very grippy and handle smoothly.

Quick Reply: Nitto Motivo - guess someone has to go first ...