Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run flats or regular tires??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM
6spd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run flats or regular tires??????

Just bought a 06 S Checkmate edition with original tires which are the run flats. I need new tires and we all know that they are expensive. I'm looking for someone that has switched to regular tires who can tell me if there is a huge difference on cornering compared to the run flats that have a firmer sidewall....I know that regular tires, (I'm looking at Hankook K 110's), will be a nicer ride on the freeway, but the reason I bought a MINI was for the handling, and several tire shops have said that I will lose the stiffness around corners, if I choose a non run flat...Anyone notice a difference? Tire suggestions? Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Got rid of the OE runflats at 24k miles due to wear, outrageous noise and ride. Then bought a set of Yokohama Avid Envigors. Sensed an immediate improvement in the ride, noise, handling and my wife's disposition. I then purchased a tire repair kit due to not having a spare and have just recently seviced the tires with Tyreshield. Sofar so good. This week my wife and I installed an Alta 22mm rear swaybar further demonstrating that these tire do have grip.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditch the run flats.... Carry a puncture kit and get good regular tires. Ride is better and so is handling.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just about everyone has ditched their run flats for regular tires. the only thing you will lose is the hard ride of the run flats. As long as you get a good performance tire you won't give up any handling. I'm running the Hankook V12's and love them

Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
darn ...

no one ever raised this question b4?

(requst to move sent)

Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daflake
Ditch the run flats.... Carry a puncture kit and get good regular tires. Ride is better and so is handling.
Ditto: After the stock set of Continental 205/45-R17 (stock R57 size on 17 black bullet rims) I switched to regular 215/45-R17 tires. The ride is much more comfortable and not as hard as the runflats. I do miss the intimate "feel of the road" that I had before. I think that's been especially so because I went up in tire width and didn't go down in sidewall percentage.

I'd recommend keeping the 205 45 17 size in the Non-runflats. All that said, I will tell you that the roads I drive on feel much better with my 215 tires, thus I think I made the right choice.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 PM
zamfield
3rd Gear
Same... can of fix a flat is pretty cheap!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
You will be so happy with your Mini after you install the non Run Flat tires !

And you will have more money in your pocket .................................

Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zamfield
Same... can of fix a flat is pretty cheap!
I carry this... Much better then fix-a-flat.

http://dynaplug.com/

Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 AM
jplants1
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The run flats are stiff and noisy. Although I really did not mind that (I kind of liked the firmness of the sidewall). But the price is not worth it. Go with non run flats. I'm running Toyo proxy and like the grip and the ride in general, you will notice an improvement too. I'll jump in on the run-flat bashing.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM
zeus7625
3rd Gear
Location: So far south in AL, one more step and I'm swimming (in oil)
Ditched the run-flats and now I carry a repair kit made by SLIME. +1 on all the comments on improved handling, ride, and comfort.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM
csdaman2
1st Gear
Tire Rack sells a conti kit to repair flats. A little pricey, but it not only shoots latex in to the tire to repair it, it has a built-in compressor to pump-up the tire! CS

Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM
onionjello
1st Gear
I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S and I replaced the run-flats. I found a used spare tire for a Honda Civic at a salvage yard for $50.00. You can mount it under the car easily, just click on the link for step by step instructions on how I did it myself:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
csdaman2
1st Gear
run flats vs regular tires

I have already switched to regular tires. Man I noticed the difference instantly. Ride quality is so much better. I am really pleased, let alone all the money that was saved. I will check out how you mounted your spare. Thanks for your help. csdaman2

Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM
antsmarching42
Neutral
Run flats and spare

I have an '08 Cooper S, Mellow Yellow, Dr. Shelden Mini Cooper. 33,000 miles and I need to replace the run flats on it. Just ordered Continental Extreme Contact DWS, non run flat to save about $600. Spent about $160 with shipping at outmotoring.com for a donut to put in the bonnet. Installing this week so I'll post an update on the ride. I already know the huge cost savings.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM
bosstones
1st Gear
Originally Posted by csdaman2
Tire Rack sells a conti kit to repair flats. A little pricey, but it not only shoots latex in to the tire to repair it, it has a built-in compressor to pump-up the tire! CS
+1

I got my '11 MCS early last Dec so I didn't have a lot of time on the stock RF's before swapping out for snows. However, I've had RF's before and wasn't a fan. 800 miles on my Moupe's stock RF's, swapped on snows, let it hibernate for the winter a bit later, and ditched the RF's for pilot sports before spring.

Likewise with the MCS, I had about 200 miles on the OE RF's, swapped out for snows, just got Kuhmo Ecsta 4X's and am ditching the RF's (FYI, if anyone is interested in them...I'll be selling them after I dismount them). I keep a can of the Continental kit from Tire Rack in the boot. A bit pricey as noted, but you can use the built in air compressor w/o using the goop so it's a bit of a 2 for 1 deal. If you don't use the goop and it goes bad, you can buy a replacement cartridge for it.

In reality, though, it's personal preference.

As others have noted, the sidewalls are stiffer (due to the design of run flat tires). For most normal driving, they will be fine. You can even push them a little bit and be okay. As with any tire, though, it pays to be cognoscente of what level of feedback you get and the dynamics of your car as you're driving (e.g. does grip feel like it might be about to give? or are you cornering hard and are noticing a little flex in the sidewall?).

Would I track or Auto-X them, definitely not. For commuting and 'normal' driving, they're okay...a bit noisier (varies by pavement type and road quality) but then again, there are plenty of non-RF tires that give off a lot of road noise, too. Road noise tolerance is also a subjective thing, too.

If you're not fond of shelling out for new tires when your RF's are good in the tread depth department, there's nothing wrong w/ riding them out. Where they get expensive is when you do get a flat....you're not supposed to patch them. When a RF is punctured and enough air leaks out, you're basically driving on the re-enforced sidewall. The sidewalls have a limited life for being driven on. That's why you have to replace the tire itself and not patch it. However, it does seem to be a gray area is you have a nail/screw in your tire and it is not leaking or has leaked very slowly and the tire is not resting on the sidewall re-enforcements. Also note that people that swap out their RF tires usually sell them afterwards. Some ask more than others for them, but you can usually find a good deal on them and not pay more than you would any other tire.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:08 AM
csdaman2
1st Gear
I have switched to non run flats and I can testify the difference in ride quality is immense. The $$ savings is a big bonus. I love the non run flats and I carry a small patch kit and a spare. Let's motor! chuck1 2005 mc jcw hyper blue owners club

Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 AM
bosstones
1st Gear
I would also note that going to a lower profile tire helps when it comes to sidewall stability. I'm still fairly new to Minidom so I don't know what people tend to run. A 40 or 45 profile tire seems to be pretty common, though....much better than a 50 or 55.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember if it was Grassroots Motorsports or Automobile magazine who said the OEM runflats were like trying to run an agility course in wooden clog shoes. I whole heartedly agree...ditch the run flats and you will discover a whole new car.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 PM
antsmarching42
Neutral
So I got the new Continental tires in non run flat. What an amazing difference. Almost half the price of the run flats and the ride is improved immensely. I also received the smaller donut spare from Outmotoring about 3 days after placing the order. Using two bungee cords it is secured in the bonnet, taking up about 20% of the space with the lid still down and no interference. If you are able to change a flat, and how often does that even happen, I see no reason to not switch away from the run flats.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Mr. Krisztian
1st Gear
I went from a 195/5516 runflat to 215/50/16 regular set and do not like them. The car lost its go cart handling feel and after 600 miles its not improving. For now, I am going to experiment and reinstall the runflats and make sure its not the 1 inch drop springs I installed, but logic would say it the tires.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also consider checking your tire pressures. I just got my car back from a quick check up today and the dealer inflated my tires to 37psi. I had put them all at 36psi about 3 weeks ago. The drive today felt better. Not sure who in the shop thought to do that for me, but I am actually grateful. The ride is still smooth but not as sluggish. What a difference a pound makes! Also, I have to rave about the digital tire guage. It is very easy to use and allows for 0.5 measurements.

Bottom line: when you go to wider tires, you might find that the tire pressures recommended by the manufacturer are off by a few pounds.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Bredto
1st Gear
Have to put in my 2 cents. I just replaced my conti runflats with non-runflat Kuhmo Ecsta 4X. HOLY CRAP!!!! What a huge difference. I've read that run flats were harsh, but I had now idea how much more comfortable tires could be. The funny thing is Tirerack, where I bought the tires, said in their testing that they thought that the Kuhmos could use a little more ride comfort.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Ditch the RF's..that was the FIRST word of advice I got. Did it and love the handling and ride!!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM
[insert name here]
2nd Gear
Obviously a little late on the post, but in my opinion they are both good. I had the stock Pirelli tires from the previous owner, they are horrible. When I needed new tires, I was considering whether to stay with the run flats or go with regular tires.
I decided to go with the Continental Conti-Sports (is the name I think, been a couple years and don't want to go out to the car) that are run flats. I found them for $208 a piece, and I love them. Of course I feel the road more, but I have more confidence around the corners. Minis are built a high compared to other sports cars, so more body roll is forced on the tires around corners. I tend to take one corner on my route home at 50+ mph that is an in city right hand turn lane. That puts a lot of strain on the sidewall with the sharpness of the turn and the speed. A regular tire's side wall will compress, and has the possibility of the rim's edge digging into it causing a puncture. I rather not risk it, I did not by my Mini for ride comfort, but to have fun.
Another note, I took a 1600 mile road trip (one way) to visit family for a week. I had a blowout on the way back. I still had the stock Pirelli tires on it, and glad I did. The stability of the run flat sidewall prevented any loss of control, in fact i had not realized the sidewall split until a ways after it happened and the tire material started fading. I think I got the puncture from debris when I avoided an idiot driving retarded in icy conditions. Note: handled awesome to avoid truck crossing the freeway multiple times during the crash, with run flats on it. I was able to drive to a tire shop to get a new one to get me home, then I purchased my new run flats from continental. Have had no issues. Another reason I went with run flats, is that I did not want to haul a spare around. With the cornering I do, I do not want one to slide around, and I do not want to customize a mount for one that adds more weight. People who have gone to regular tires are smart to carry fix a flat, but it does not help much if you get a gaping hole.

It all comes down to preference of course, and how you drive.
I also chose the continentals that I have on there for the rubber stiffness. I have an even rougher ride, but the harder rubber doesn't wear as fast, and they came with a 40k mile warranty.

Quick Reply: Run flats or regular tires??????