Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Stoptech's Installed, some wheel fit information

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:19 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put on my Stoptechs today along with stainless steel rear brake lines a Ferodo DS2500 rear pads. They are currently cooling off after being bedded in. But I'm expecting some awesome stopping power

I ordered some 17" SSR Comps for Alex mounted with the new Pirelli PZero Corsas. The tires feel very good on the street. I'll have to wait a bit to get them on the track. But the wheels do NOT fit over the Stoptechs without my 5mm spacers.

My 17" OZ SLs, which I hoped would fit over the calipers without spacers don't fit even with spacers. And, because their offset is so extreme (37mm), I can't really get a thicker spacer to help them clear the caliper face because then they'll start rubbing the fenders.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:10 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Are you going to use the Corsas as an everday tire? I thought they were for track use, more or less? Awesome looking tire though!

I was looking at the BBS RGR wheels, but their offest is 38mm, makes me wonder if I would have rubbing issues with the Stop Techs. I currently don't have rubbing with the OZ Chrono EVO's, and I'm running 215/40/17 lowered on H&R's.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:03 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
I'm sorry to hear about your SSRs needing spacers. I have the same wheels and - though I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem - I had rubbing on the rear fender liners even without spacers. It was very minor and rare but still there until I added some ARCAs and some neg camber. I'd have rubbing every time I drove the car if I put spacers on the rear but I've been wondering about the front. Oh well, I don't think I want to experiment....of course that means no StopTechs....very disappointing.

Old 02-28-2004, 11:17 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>>I was looking at the BBS RGR wheels, but their offest is 38mm, makes me wonder if I would have rubbing issues with the Stop Techs. I currently don't have rubbing with the OZ Chrono EVO's, and I'm running 215/40/17 lowered on H&R's.

I know Casey at Promini has said that the RGRs with Khumo MX 215/40/17s has no rubbing issues, and their cars are slammed to the ground.

However, that was just for tire rubbing. I dont know what brake set up they have (probably the one they sell )

Old 02-29-2004, 06:32 AM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Yes, the Pirelli's are my track tires. But they'll have to be street tires until I get some wheels that fit that have street tires mounted on them.

I've been told that a lot of the rubbing issues go away wtih lowered MINI's. Seem counterintuitive, but the reason is that when the car is lowered that the negative camber automatically increases. Coilovers and camber plates and adjustable reat lower control arms are next up anyways (after street wheels).

I had the Kumho MX's on the OZ's before. Great tires, but I wanted a bit more for the track and some performance all seasons for the street. I got the Conti Extreme contacts becasue I was planning on driving to Vegas for the MINI vacation, but canceled the trip when the track day was canceled.