Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

PZero Corsa review

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:35 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of quick thoughts on the Pirelli PZero Corsas:

Alex recommended these tires, I told him I was looking at the Kumho V700's of the Yoko A032r(s). He said that someone in the SE has had good luck running these in SSB (show room stock B)on his MCS. So I was expecting them to be a little more of a track tire and less a street tire. Treadwear rating is 140, like tha Azenis' and the MX's.

In comparison to the Kumho MX's I would say they may wear a little better and be more predictable, I'm not sure if they're as fast, but they seem more responsive. They also seem to deal with higher slip angles better than the Kumho MX's.

They also didn't seem to "go off" as much as the Kumho's when they got hot and did better when cold than the Kumho's.

These tires were heat cycled but not shaved.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:10 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is some question in my mind that this tire is ST legal because only one size has a 140 tread wear rating, 215/45/17. I think all the other sizes have a 60 TWR and is therefore a "R" coumpound tire. Not sure what the difference is on just the one size, I hope Alex can enlighten us, but maybe it's something as simple as more tread depth but the Corsa is clearly a tire designed for the track.

The Falken Azenis and I think the MX both have TWR's of 200 if not more for the MX.

The 140 TWR, for the ST classes, dates back to tires that were less durable than tires on the market in the last few years and in my opinion should be updated to a 200 TWR to reflect mordern tire tech.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The driver is a Spec Mini series compeditor.

Alex

Old 03-08-2004, 03:17 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Alex,
So, other than my forgeting the series (sorry), did my impressions match other's reviews?

Old 03-08-2004, 08:38 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
This is interesting. The STS rules read straight:
A. Up to and including 225 width.
B. Minimum treadwear rating of 140.
C. Exclude 13.3.F, which says, must be available in 4 rim diameters and a total of at least six sizes.
D. Not on the exclusion list: None Listed.
and so the only question is whether they're Stock legal. I don't see why not.

This says that the 215/45-17 Pirrelli Corsa is legal for STS. And it appears that CO-Mark believes they're better than the Kumho MXs. Although they are over twice the cost. I find it interesting that they're lasting longer than the MXs. Another important observation is that the tread is 8/32nds on this tire as opposed to the 6/32nds of all other sizes. It's possible the other OE tires/sizes may have similar specs but they're not listed.

The Spec Mini driver is Paulo, who regularly recruits on NAM for people to join him. He posted a comment on the TireRack Corsa page.

Definitely an interesting alternative. Any ideas as to why this tire exists? I may have to consider this when the time comes.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>This is interesting. The STS rules read straight:

>>B. Minimum treadwear rating of 140.
>>C. Exclude 13.3.F, which says, must be available in 4 rim diameters and a total of at least six sizes.

>>

One could argue that the tire is not available in 4 rim diameters or 6 sizes if only on size has a 140 TWR. What if I could get Hoosier to make one tire with 12/32" tread so it would have a 140 TWR, then I could legally shave that and be on equal terms with the regular "R" tires.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>>Any ideas as to why this tire exists?

So Steve can win races!

I have been waiting to hear back on motivations on these diffrent specs from Pirelli.

Alex

Old 03-09-2004, 05:45 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
>>>>This is interesting. The STS rules read straight:
>>
>>>>B. Minimum treadwear rating of 140.
>>>>C. Exclude 13.3.F, which says, must be available in 4 rim diameters and a total of at least six sizes.
>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>One could argue that the tire is not available in 4 rim diameters or 6 sizes if only on size has a 140 TWR. What if I could get Hoosier to make one tire with 12/32" tread so it would have a 140 TWR, then I could legally shave that and be on equal terms with the regular "R" tires.

Read item C again. That rule is excluded thus removing the requirement for quantity of sizes. If Hoosier made a similar tire to the Pirelli, it too would be legal. And yes, the tire could be shaved. My preference would be keeping the full depth because at $221/tire, I would want them to last as long as possible. :smile: Hey Alex, are you offering any discounts on sets with rims?

Moderator: SCCA STS Forum

DancesWithCones@northamericanmotoring.com

Old 03-11-2004, 03:26 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
CO-Mark or Alex,

The write-up on the Corsa says it's an asymetric and directional design requiring left and right tires. There is only one 215/45-17 tire listed. Is the tread pattern different from what is pictured below?

Old 03-11-2004, 03:31 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Looks like the tire I have.
I've entered an autocross for March 21st, I'll have an autocross review after that.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Is the tread pattern different from what is pictured below?
>>
>>

John

the 215/45 is the exception to the rule, its only directional, and is the only 140 for wear.

All the others are directional and aysemetrical, and have the 60 UTQG wear.

Alex

Old 03-22-2004, 06:41 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Had an autocross with the Corsa's yesterday. I finished 7th out of 29 cars in SM. I think everyone ahead of me was on Hoosier's or Kumho R compound.
I think the tires did OK, but not great. The biggest thing I noticed was that the car wasn't rotating as well as it used to; understeer that went away when I put the larger rear sway bar in was back in a big way. Part of it might be the surface we were on - it was concrete and I've always had the car on asphalt before. I've also added the Stoptech's and 17" wheels since the last time I autocrossed for whatever effect those have.
I was also getting a lot of wheel spin at launch and inside wheel spin on the tight corners, this was helped some by dropping the tire pressures down (to 41/42). The tires are showing some lifting of the tread at the edges of the tread blocks (somewhat reminiscent of how the V700 Ecsta's wear). I'm thinking that these tires are probably best as aggresive street tires and for open track days.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>> these tires are probably best as aggresive street tires and for open track days.

I agree! They don't warm up as quickly as the A series Hoosier.

Alex