Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wheel Storage DIY Project...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 05:29 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tend to have a lot of extra wheels lying around and since I just purchased a new wheel and tire set for the Mini I needed to construct another wheel holder. I made an identical one a couple years ago and it has worked extremely well. It takes up little room and is easily movable.

I thought I would list the parts needed if anyone has the need for similar storage.

1. One 3/4" x 24" particle board or plywood board. Home Depot has 24" pre-cut circles which work perfect. $3.79 (Note: this size board will work on wheels/tires up to 19&quot

2. Four heavy duty ball bearing swivel castors. 2" diameter wheels. $3.89 ea.

3. Sixteen 1" x 1/4" round headed bolts with nuts and lock washers. $.88 a 4-pack.

4. Exterior paint of your choice.

Construction couldn't be easier. Place the castors equal distant apart on the outside of the circular board. Mark the holes in the base and drill out with a 1/4" drill bit. Then on the top side of the board, use a 1/2" drill bit to countersink the holes a bit. Do this so the heads of the bolts are below the resting surface of the board and do not put indentations in the tires.

Next, paint the board top and bottom. Finally, bolt the castors in place using the nuts and lockwashers facing downward. You're done!

I also like to seperate the wheels with sheets of cardboard.

Hope this project appeals to someone in need!

Old 03-07-2004, 05:43 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Neat. I've read that you shouldn't store tires on their sides like that because it damages the sidewalls? Not sure if this is an urban myth or whatever... maybe the tirerack guy can clarify.

--
Cheese

Old 03-07-2004, 08:34 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
funny, I made the same thing out of the same particle board at homedepot.

I tapped my screws for the casters from the bottom.

Ive been storing my wheels/tires in stacks like that during the winter
seasons...i've yet to have any problems. I triple up on the cardboard
at the bottom though.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:52 AM
BradB
6th Gear
>>Neat. I've read that you shouldn't store tires on their sides like that because it damages the sidewalls? Not sure if this is an urban myth or whatever... maybe the tirerack guy can clarify.
>>
>>--
>>Cheese
>>

No, it does no harm at all. I have done this for years. One thing you don't want to do is leave the tires on the ground. It can soak up too much cold from the floor. And don't leave the tires near a furnace which can dry them out.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>No, it does no harm at all. I have done this for years. One thing you don't want >>to do is leave the tires on the ground. It can soak up too much cold from the >>floor. And don't leave the tires near a furnace which can dry them out.

Keep them Dry.

Keep them out of sunlight.

Storing on their side is just fine.

Alex

Old 03-09-2004, 08:37 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I tend to have a lot of extra wheels lying around and since I just purchased a new wheel and tire set for the Mini I needed to construct another wheel holder. I made an identical one a couple years ago and it has worked extremely well. It takes up little room and is easily movable.
>>
>>I thought I would list the parts needed if anyone has the need for similar storage.
>>
>>1. One 3/4" x 24" particle board or plywood board. Home Depot has 24" pre-cut circles which work perfect. $3.79 (Note: this size board will work on wheels/tires up to 19&quot
>>
>>2. Four heavy duty ball bearing swivel castors. 2" diameter wheels. $3.89 ea.
>>
>>3. Sixteen 1" x 1/4" round headed bolts with nuts and lock washers. $.88 a 4-pack.
>>
>>4. Exterior paint of your choice.
>>
>>Construction couldn't be easier. Place the castors equal distant apart on the outside of the circular board. Mark the holes in the base and drill out with a 1/4" drill bit. Then on the top side of the board, use a 1/2" drill bit to countersink the holes a bit. Do this so the heads of the bolts are below the resting surface of the board and do not put indentations in the tires.
>>
>>Next, paint the board top and bottom. Finally, bolt the castors in place using the nuts and lockwashers facing downward. You're done!
>>
>>I also like to seperate the wheels with sheets of cardboard.
>>
>>Hope this project appeals to someone in need!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Nice '72 Tii there in the background.... (frmr '72 Tii, '73 Tii owner)