Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Survey: Mintex "Red Box" brake pad users

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, you're using Mintex "Red Box" brake pads, eh? We've all heard that they don't throw quite as much dust as the stocks, and we know that a set can be had for a song, but we've still got a few questions. So humor us, if you please.

How are they cold? Better, worse, or about the same as stock

How are they warm? Ditto

How are they hot? Have you ever tried doing a track day with them?

How long have you had them? Do they seem to be holding up as well as stocks?

Have you had ANY squealing with them? Could you get it to go away?

Any other random thoughts for us?

Thanks for your participation! Also, anyone that has access to hard numbers (coefficients of friction at varying temperatures for example) should feel free to post them. It would be helpful.

Cheers! :smile:

Old 03-10-2004, 07:08 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Since the installation of Mintex pads a week ago, the reduction in brake dust is really noticeable. No hard braking just yet during the brake-in period. The braking feels slightly better than the factory, but only moderately. Unlike EBC, there's typically no squealing issue with Mintex, which is great for street use with reduced dust. I'm completely satisfied with the $60 cost for the pads.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:16 PM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
Cold: Haven't noticed any different from stock, maybe a touch firmer.
Warm: Performs just like stock pads, maybe a touch firmer.
Hot: Not too much experience here, but made half a dozen panic stops from 60 and the pedal didn't fade.

Brake dust: Very impressed, the dust is minimal if any, the front wheels now have the same amount of dust on them that the rear wheels accumulate.

Squeeling: Haven't experienced any squeeling at all, I didn't use any outside source of lube, just put them on and went.

So far I've been very pleased, with the warm weather I don't have to wash the car as much because the wheels don't look nasty.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Mr._Bridger
1st Gear
Front Brake Pad Replacements

Hello,
Front pads on my 2003 Cooper are getting low, will need replacing soon. Looking for feedback as to what would be best to use to replace, factory or aftermarket. It is a daily commute except in the winter when not used. As far as aggressive driving, I do a monthly club road rally and that can get a little aggressive, no track stuff or auto crosses. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Installation - any quirks or tricks I need to be aware off? Have not taken anything apart as yet, just looked at the pads when changing wheels recently.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Bump for the thread,
I'm looking for more input maybe from people who do use their brakes little harder.
I need to replace stock pads but am completely happy with the performance of the OEM pad. I love how it bites initially and don't do a lot of high speed braking. I do however brake very late and hard so the OEM's suit me perfectly for now. Car is a DD and doesn't see any track and only minimal Autox.

Also, are the "red box" pads different from the ones sold by pelicanparts.com and the ebay vendor recommended in the official brake change write up ? they don't have "redbox" in the name so this is why I'm asking.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20Cooper%20%20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Minte...Q5fAccessories

Thanx

Update: So I put the Mintex Redbox on back in November and I have to say that they are pretty good. The initial bite is nearly the same as the stock pad but sometimes it brakes better for some reason. Maybe they need to get some heat going in them to fully perform but for what I need them for, they work perfectly fine. I will continue buying mintex for my sometimes aggressive commute driving.

Last edited by rallymaniac; 03-05-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:35 AM
ignote
5th Gear
I have the mintex redbox on the the front. I would say that initial bite is nearly the same as stock but not quite. If I were you, I would stick with stock unless you are trying to save a buck.