Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

I done goofed- what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I done goofed- what are my options?

Hey guys. I was trying to get some work done on my car tonight, but was stopped short when I realized I couldn't get one of my wheels off. One of the lugs just kept spinning and wouldn't come out. So I checked my other threads, and about 2 threads per hub are damaged, making it near impossible to insert the lug without forcing it to screw it, which further damaged the threads. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I have heard of things that rethread threads to make them work again, but I'm thinking it might just be easier to buy 4 new hubs? What do you all think?

And... anyone have any suggestions on how to get that stripped lug out?

Not sure how in the world this happened, maybe my aftermarket lugs, or the fact that I change my wheels out so much???

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 AM
GLN305
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an idea, but maybe you can drill out the threads and install lug studs in the holes. The holes would need to be smaller than the ridged portion of the lug stud, but that would be an idea to kick around.

Other than that, I would think you could Helicoil them. That would require possibly drilling the holes then tapping them with a larger than the lug bolt tap.

Haven't encountered a problem like this since all my vehicles before the Mini have had studs.

Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
Hey guys. I was trying to get some work done on my car tonight, but was stopped short when I realized I couldn't get one of my wheels off. One of the lugs just kept spinning and wouldn't come out. So I checked my other threads, and about 2 threads per hub are damaged, making it near impossible to insert the lug without forcing it to screw it, which further damaged the threads. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I have heard of things that rethread threads to make them work again, but I'm thinking it might just be easier to buy 4 new hubs? What do you all think?

And... anyone have any suggestions on how to get that stripped lug out?

Not sure how in the world this happened, maybe my aftermarket lugs, or the fact that I change my wheels out so much???

Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
The hubs might be fine. The crap lug bolts stretch - especially if you are torquing by "feel." If it were me, I'd drill out the head of the bolt, cut it near flush (making sure you can still turn it), grind a slot in it, and turn it further into the hub until it falls out on the other side. You'll probably need to remove the rotors to retrieve the pieces. If that works, inspect the threads in the hubs. You will probably need to clean them up a bit. Maybe you can use a dental pick type tool to get any bits left behind. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:21 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
If all else fails, a hub replacement isn't too hard and a new hub can be had for less than $100 (on ebay). That will replace the stripped hole (if that is the case.) The issue no matter how you do it is getting the wheel off undamaged first.

I just finished replacing the 3 that I hadn't done previously and it took me about 30 minutes to get the last one done (that's from tire removal to re-install). in the rear it's 4 bolts in the backside (removing the brake hardware first) and a dead blow if the hub is rusted in place. Then anti-sieze everything and put it back together. Just be sure your current lug bolts and the new hub are the same size (there are 12mm and 14mm bolts --- I found out the hard way)

Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
buy a tap and fix/cleanup the hub stud holes, 14mm? or helicoil the holes