Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

SSR Comp R Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>>>Ryan
>>>>I think we still have 1 approval wheel in house. I will see if I can get some pics out here for you.
>>>>
>>>>Dan
>>>>
>>>>>>hey Dan, do you have a picture of these new rims, I'm itchin' to see 'em!
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Cheers,
>>>>>>Ryan
>>>>
>>
>>....those pics, please please on a Mini!
>>
>>

We have a silver MCS, I see what I can do.

Dan

Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey, no fluffing your own thread! (j/k )

seriously though, I'm dying to see the look/weight of this wheel
I'm shopping for summer wheels for the MCS!

Old 03-02-2003, 03:17 PM
caddman
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know the differences between the HR, KW, or Spax Coil overs? What are the offset to SSR Comps, will i be able to run a 225/35/18???

Old 03-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Minae
2nd Gear
I'd be interested in a package like that too, 205/45R16 shaved and heat cycled.

Waiting to hear more...

>>What tire size? Did you want them shaved and heat cycled? Wheel ETA really depends on the results of formensioned testing. I will keep you posted
>>
>>Dan
>>
>>>>Dan,
>>>>I'd be interested in a package consisting of the above mentioned wheels and some appropriately sized Kuhmo ECSTA V700 tires for GS Autocrossing. What would something like that run, and when can we expect that these wheels will be produced?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks.
>>>>
>>>>F
>>
>>
>>_________________
>>MCO tire and wheel forum Moderator

Old 03-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
We're looking at $1905 plus shipping for that exact package

Dan
>>I'd be interested in a package like that too, 205/45R16 shaved and heat cycled.
>>
>>Waiting to hear more...
>>
>>>>What tire size? Did you want them shaved and heat cycled? Wheel ETA really depends on the results of formensioned testing. I will keep you posted
>>>>
>>>>Dan
>>>>
>>>>>>Dan,
>>>>>>I'd be interested in a package consisting of the above mentioned wheels and some appropriately sized Kuhmo ECSTA V700 tires for GS Autocrossing. What would something like that run, and when can we expect that these wheels will be produced?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Thanks.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>F
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>_________________
>>>>MCO tire and wheel forum Moderator

Old 03-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I was a bit late to get the prototype wheel photographed. I will post pics as soon as I get them

Dan

>>Ryan
>>I think we still have 1 approval wheel in house. I will see if I can get some pics out here for you.
>>
>>Dan
>>
>>>>hey Dan, do you have a picture of these new rims, I'm itchin' to see 'em!
>>>>
>>>>Cheers,
>>>>Ryan
>>

Old 03-03-2003, 10:25 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
I would only get rid of my factory 16x6.5 X-lites for something extremely light weight like this wheel. Any comments about the durability of this wheel on a daily driver?

Old 03-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
comps are et 42 in 18x7.5

Dan

>>Anybody know the differences between the HR, KW, or Spax Coil overs? What are the offset to SSR Comps, will i be able to run a 225/35/18???

Old 03-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>>I would only get rid of my factory 16x6.5 X-lites for something extremely light weight like this wheel. Any comments about the durability of this wheel on a daily driver?

I will quote a previous post for thsi responce. Durability is relative.

Wheels gain their strenth from one of 2 ways, sheer mass, or cunstruction process/ alloys. For example And ssr weighing 15 lbs is as strong as a gravity cast wheel weighing 20 lbs (example numbers) If pothole X will bend the SSR, it will bend the gravity cast counter part. Now A tank wheel, also cast, weighing in at 25 lbs hits pothole X, and recovers unscathed. All wheels can bend.

I drive comps as daily drivers, and love them. I will autocross to avoid potholes.

Dan

Old 03-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Minae
2nd Gear
$1905? That seems high...

$130 per tire, plus $285 a wheel (estimate from earlier in this thread), plus say $20 for mount and balance, gets $435 times four, or $1740.

$1905 minus $520 in tires is $346.25 per corner, for wheels with tires on...

Am I getting this right? Do you have anything competitive in cost to a 14 lbs knock-off for $155 a wheel? Those three pounds of lightness per corner are looking to cost $63.75 a pound. Granted, we're talking unsprung weight, but those wheels are sounding a bit too expensive for industrial use.

>>We're looking at $1905 plus shipping for that exact package
>>
>>Dan
>>>>I'd be interested in a package like that too, 205/45R16 shaved and heat cycled.
>>>>
>>>>Waiting to hear more...
>>>>
>>>>>>What tire size? Did you want them shaved and heat cycled? Wheel ETA really depends on the results of formensioned testing. I will keep you posted
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Dan
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>Dan,
>>>>>>>>I'd be interested in a package consisting of the above mentioned wheels and some appropriately sized Kuhmo ECSTA V700 tires for GS Autocrossing. What would something like that run, and when can we expect that these wheels will be produced?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>Thanks.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>F
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>_________________
>>>>>>MCO tire and wheel forum Moderator
>>

Old 03-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Limey
1st Gear
DITTO

>>$1905? That seems high...
>>
>>$130 per tire, plus $285 a wheel (estimate from earlier in this thread), plus say $20 for mount and balance, gets $435 times four, or $1740.
>>
>>$1905 minus $520 in tires is $346.25 per corner, for wheels with tires on...
>>
>>Am I getting this right? Do you have anything competitive in cost to a 14 lbs knock-off for $155 a wheel? Those three pounds of lightness per corner are looking to cost $63.75 a pound. Granted, we're talking unsprung weight, but those wheels are sounding a bit too expensive for industrial use.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
My mistake, I appologise thuroghly.

$1905 is for Hoosier R3S03 Heat cycled, mounted and balanced

$1732 is for Ecsta v700 shaved and heat cycled, mounted and balanced.

Someone had asked for the Hoosier package price on PM, my mistake.

Dan
>>$1905? That seems high...
>>
>>$130 per tire, plus $285 a wheel (estimate from earlier in this thread), plus say $20 for mount and balance, gets $435 times four, or $1740.
>>
>>$1905 minus $520 in tires is $346.25 per corner, for wheels with tires on...
>>
>>Am I getting this right? Do you have anything competitive in cost to a 14 lbs knock-off for $155 a wheel? Those three pounds of lightness per corner are looking to cost $63.75 a pound. Granted, we're talking unsprung weight, but those wheels are sounding a bit too expensive for industrial use.
>>
>>
>>>>We're looking at $1905 plus shipping for that exact package
>>>>
>>>>Dan
>>>>>>I'd be interested in a package like that too, 205/45R16 shaved and heat cycled.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Waiting to hear more...
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>What tire size? Did you want them shaved and heat cycled? Wheel ETA really depends on the results of formensioned testing. I will keep you posted
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>Dan
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>Dan,
>>>>>>>>>>I'd be interested in a package consisting of the above mentioned wheels and some appropriately sized Kuhmo ECSTA V700 tires for GS Autocrossing. What would something like that run, and when can we expect that these wheels will be produced?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>Thanks.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>F
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>_______________ __
>>>>>>>>MCO tire and wheel forum Moderator
>>>>
>>

Old 03-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Each pound could be a tenth of a second, a few tenths of a second tends to cover the compeitive spread in many scca events. A few pounds can add up. The rule of thumb is 1-4 for each unsprung pound. Its the equvalent to loosing 48 sprung pounds.

Dan

Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Any update on when the SSR Comp wheels in 16x6.5 will be available??

Old 03-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Whatever happened to those pictures promised by Dan?

Old 03-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Still waiting to hear back, I will post here as soon as I know. You can also email
dan@tirerack.com
title it SSR Comp R request
in the body right Contact me when these are available.

I will be sending these emails as soon as I have a date, for a bit of personalized commuication

Dan

>>Any update on when the SSR Comp wheels in 16x6.5 will be available??
>>

Old 03-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>> I was a bit late to get the prototype wheel photographed. I will post pics as >>soon as I get them

>>Dan

>> >>Whatever happened to those pictures promised by Dan?

Old 03-17-2003, 09:49 PM
SoCalTom
2nd Gear
Hi MINI Folks,

Haven't posted in quite awhile; we're now on our FOURTH set of wheels & tires on "Project Austin" (my wife & I named our MCS 'Austin' and we've been building it up as a project car since last May). What are our "final" wheels? SSR Comps of course...

'Austin' is finally "done" - as done as any project car is - and is on the April 2003 cover of Eurotuner magazine ( http://www.eurotuner.com ) along with the MCS that Eurotuner built up at the same time as their project car. Of course Eurotuner had a huge advantage because they are in the business and assumedly got everything free (versus us taking a sledgehammer to our bank accounts-- some time ago we passed spending a total of DOUBLE what we paid for our MCS... obsession has its price).

The upside to not having a bunch of sponsored stuff is that for the most part we didn't have to kiss *ss to sponsors and put on crap that we never would have chosen ourselves. Ironically, the wheels & tires were one of the very few sponsored parts on our car and in fact we did NOT want 18-inch multi-piece wheels that weighed 21 pounds each-- I fought to try and get a one-piece wheel that same company made that was a somewhat-light 15 pounds... but no way, they were trying to promote a different style. In like manner, I absolutely did NOT want 225/35/18 tires due to rubbing issues... but the tire sponsor only made a 225/35/18, not a 215/35/18. Oh well, as soon as the photo shoot was over the wheels & tires were on eBay, sold no problem, and paid for our TireRack order (SSR Comps w/ Yoko AVS ES 100s).

It could have been worse, the same wheel company sponsored Eurotuner for the wheels on their MCS and the 18" style they were given had a very "racy/tuner" look... and weighed 26 pounds each, more than then heaviest OEM (MINI) wheels made. To add insult to injury, they were given Radial T/A 'Scortcher' tires to run. Ouch!

What have we learned about wheels? The OEM MINI wheels are all pretty heavy (except the 8-hole 15" ones; our first two sets were the 25-pound X-Lites <misnamed, the heaviest OEM wheel>, the 24-pound BBS/MINI R90 <a classic look, but almost as heavy as the X-Lites), the 18" wheels (21 pounds)/35-series tire combination did give the best handling overall <but for 20,000+miles a year of dailing driving the harsh ride wasn't worth it to us>, and the ultra-light 11.5-pound SSR comps sure make a noticeable difference in unsprung weight.

What have we learned about tires? Didn't drive much on the original 205/45/17 Pirelli Euphorias, but the 205/45/17 Goodyear RS-As squeeled like a stuck pig on the autocross course and were none-too-confidence-inspiring pushing it up in the canyons. The Max-Performance 225/35/18 Bridgestone Pole-Position SO-3s were awesome and took me to limits up on Angeles Crest Highway that were just plain frightening-- too bad after spending money and three visits to F1 Technology to have our MCS fenders trimmed 3 times... the tires still rubbed (FYI- we have H&R Sport springs that lower the car); F1 said the rubbing is minor and acceptable and they could do no more... we said no rubbing is good rubbing.

The current 205/50/16 Yokohama AVS ES100s are a terrific all-around tire with performance approaching the SO-3s, and are a great value... but if they had been offerred in a 215/45/16 I would have bought that instead of the 205/50/16... wider contact patch for greater grip, a tad smaller diameter for a tad lower effective gearing for a tad quicker acceleration, and a lower sidewall height-- I really noticed it going from the 35 series to the 50 series in terms of sidewall flex. Not too many options in 215/45/16 sizes (Falken Azenis is funky-looking and the tread patterns supposedly generates noise and spits up little pebbles easily). Perhaps our next tires will be 215/45/16 Michelin Pilot Sports (but I don't think our bank accounts will have recovered by then; the Pilot Sports are more than triple the price of the ES100s in the same size)?

Anyway the ET42 and 16x7.5 size of our SSR Comps wouldn't pass muster for many racing classes, so it sounds like a great thing that this SSR Comp R will soon be available. We just use our MCS for canyon-running as a daily driver and will probably autocross only in BMW club events (and my wife & I are both equally average at autocross... we don't even think about where we finish or what class we're put in), so we love our existing SSR Comps... but can't wait to see the Comp R models nonetheless-- hey, maybe we'll get better at autocrossing someday and we'll actually care what class we are in

Happy Motoring,
Tom (& Shannon) Wiggins
Pasadena, CA
http://home.earthlink.net/~bmwmini

Old 03-18-2003, 03:31 PM
RicardoV
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom,

In paragraph five, you mention the OEM wheel weights. Did you mean to say that the 17" "S-Lites" weigh 25 lbs? I believe the 16" "X-Lites", aka V-Spokes, weigh a little under 18 lbs.

Ricardo

Old 03-18-2003, 08:34 PM
SoCalTom
2nd Gear
>>Tom,
>>
>>In paragraph five, you mention the OEM wheel weights. Did you mean to say that the 17" "S-Lites" weigh 25 lbs? I believe the 16" "X-Lites", aka V-Spokes, weigh a little under 18 lbs.
>>
>>Ricardo

Darn, they shouldn't put the X and the S so close together on the keyboard!

You are correct, we had the 17" S-Lites which weighed 25.1 pounds; the 16" X-Lites weigh 17.6 pounds. Anyway, we are quite content with our SSR Comps which weigh 11.5 pounds... just slightly less than the lowly 15" 8-hole OE wheels which people buying the optional S-Lite tanks probably look down on (yet the S-Heavies are more than double the weight of "holies&quot.

Thanks for catching my error.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:07 AM
RicardoV
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree the SSR comps are the wheels to get, if you can afford them. But the X-lites
are a very good stock wheel option. Lighter than the S-Lites and wider than the 15" "Holies". I agree that most people looking at the S-Lites are not considering weight as a major consideration.

Ricardo
Mini Cooper S with R90's- Heavy but classic, X-Lites- for track duty

Old 03-19-2003, 01:05 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
And the new SSR Comp R 16x6.5's should weigh in a little UNDER 11 pounds according to Dan!

Can't wait to get those on my MC !

Old 03-19-2003, 02:49 PM
SoCalTom
2nd Gear
>>I agree the SSR comps are the wheels to get, if you can afford them. But the X-lites
>>are a very good stock wheel option. Lighter than the S-Lites and wider than the 15" "Holies". I agree that most people looking at the S-Lites are not considering weight as a major consideration.
>>
>>Ricardo
>>Mini Cooper S with R90's- Heavy but classic, X-Lites- for track duty

We probably wouldn't have afforded the SSR Comps, except for the fact that we were selling the $3000 wheel/tire package that we had received free from a sponsor due to our car's appearing on the cover of a magazine (April 2003 Eurotuner). There's now a company ("AK", I think) that makes a knock-off of the SSR Comp that is only 14 pounds or so (I think) in a 16" size and costs less than half of the SSR Comp price (again, I think). And you're right, X-Lites are an excellent stock wheel option (especially for track duty as you are using them). The R90s are THE classic option in our opinion (my wife & me) and when a professional car photographer borrowed our car to shoot photos for his portfolio (there's a clever way to drive someone's MINI-- just show up with a few thousand dollars in photo equipment and ask to borrow the car)... he shot it with the R90 wheels. We know have his photos mounted and adorning our family room (AKA the "car room"; filled with car memorabilia)-- one of his prints is just a frame-filling closeup of the R90s.

Of course we had our R90s disassembled, triple-chromed, had all the connecting bolts black powder-coated... but custom or original the R90s are THE classic MINI wheel. Unforunately, we don't live in a world of unlimited $$$... so we had to sell the R90s to a MINI person in West Virgina. My wife still mentions that she misses the R90s...

Old 04-29-2003, 07:14 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Alex,

any update on when these 16x6.5 's will be available ??

Old 04-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Waiting...I will update you as soon as I know.

Alex

Quick Reply: SSR Comp R Update