Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

17x8 wheel, tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
sixer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17x8 wheel, tire questions

I was looking around online, and fell in love with the looks of the rotiform blq wheels. My only concern with them is the width of the wheel and offset. They run 17x8 et 30 or et20.

I was concerned that the wheels might stick out too far, but from pictures I have seen of them on mini's, they look amazing to me. I was wondering what size tire would be the best tire size for them? I am not a huge fan of the stretched tire look, and would prefer to keep the stretching appearance minimal if possible(but am not completely opposed to stretching tires). From what I have been trying to look up, it seems like 215/40/17 is the most recommended. Would it be possible to run 215/45 with no rubbing? or something else entirely different size wise. I have tried searching, but anytime it seemed like anytime i found threads on 17x8 wheels, the tire advice was always for a lowered or planned to be lowered car.

They would be for a 2012 mcs, stock suspension(no plans of lowering), and jcw aero kit. My other concern is that I was wondering if the new wheels/tires would create a larger wheel gap than is currently there? If it would remain about the same size, that is fine. Currently have the stock r112 challenge spokes with 205/45/17 stock runflats. Or would it even be possible to stretch the stock tires onto the wheels for a part time use to get more use out of my tires(if the stretching didn't look too extreme if it were possible to use) due to only having about 500 miles on them.

Or, would the 17x8's just not work out too well and I should search for a different wheel?

Anyways, I would really appreciate the help and advice.

thanks,
Brian

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully someone who's tried a setup like that will respond, but until then ....

Using Tire Rack website and www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

New setup would stick out about 23 mm more than your current setup.
New tire would be 1.6% taller than current tire, and weigh a pound or so more.
The 215 size fits okay on a 8" rim, but is actually molded for a 7" rim.

I didn't find wheel weights for that size Rotiform BLQ, but they are one-piece cast. Your OEM wheel weighs about 23#.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sixer
I was looking around online, and fell in love with the looks of the rotiform blq wheels. My only concern with them is the width of the wheel and offset. They run 17x8 et 30 or et20.

I was concerned that the wheels might stick out too far, but from pictures I have seen of them on mini's, they look amazing to me. I was wondering what size tire would be the best tire size for them? I am not a huge fan of the stretched tire look, and would prefer to keep the stretching appearance minimal if possible(but am not completely opposed to stretching tires). From what I have been trying to look up, it seems like 215/40/17 is the most recommended. Would it be possible to run 215/45 with no rubbing? or something else entirely different size wise. I have tried searching, but anytime it seemed like anytime i found threads on 17x8 wheels, the tire advice was always for a lowered or planned to be lowered car.

They would be for a 2012 mcs, stock suspension(no plans of lowering), and jcw aero kit. My other concern is that I was wondering if the new wheels/tires would create a larger wheel gap than is currently there? If it would remain about the same size, that is fine. Currently have the stock r112 challenge spokes with 205/45/17 stock runflats. Or would it even be possible to stretch the stock tires onto the wheels for a part time use to get more use out of my tires(if the stretching didn't look too extreme if it were possible to use) due to only having about 500 miles on them.

Or, would the 17x8's just not work out too well and I should search for a different wheel?

Anyways, I would really appreciate the help and advice.

thanks,
Brian
Yes you can use 17x8" offset 30mm wheels on your MINI with stock suspension. As noted they will stick out about 22-23mm or 0.9" wider than the stock tires but that usually is OK. 20mm offset would be too much sticking out.

Yes you can remount runflats on the 17x8" wheels but- some shops don't handle runflats so shop around and some shops don't like to put narrow tires on wide rims. 205/45-17 is usually mounted on rims 5.5-7.5" wide. A specialty tire shop usually will do it. Damage to the runflat tire is possible with remounting it. If it is possible to sell the runflats with the wheels as a set that would be good.

If you choose 17x8" wheels you can run 215/45-17 tires and be fine, no rubbing. In that tire size there is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Max Summer tire.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have rotiforms. 17x8 et30, the 20 sticks out too far for most people. I would say the most recommended size is 205/40/17 but 205/45/17 is also known to work. It is very likely that 215/40 or 215/45 will rub.

To be honest if you are going to run them at sock height the 205 section tires might look silly. 215s would probably look better, but they will likely rub if only at the extremes.

I have been pondering trying to fit 215s on mine but that would be with a good deal of camber and trimming for clearance and coming to terms with the ocasional rub.

I will likely be selling my NUEs in the fall if you are interested.

Last edited by Creeve; 08-10-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been running different versions of 215/45 17 and generally they are fine even for a 1 to 1.2" suspension drop and et32.

The only problem I had is with Nitto NT 01 which is the widest 215 I have tried and it does fender rub in the back on an aggressive 1.2" drop. Not all 215 are the exactly same width as it is suggested and they do vary by tire manufacturer and model.