Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Sandblasting Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
flredmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandblasting Wheels

I have a set of R83 5-Star Design Light Alloy Wheels that I purchased and then sanded, painted white and clear coated. Now I want to change the color again. Has anyone taken their Mini wheels and had them sand or plastic blasted? Is it possible, and how much does it cost?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
I've got a quote from a body shop to strip, repaint and clearcoat my 17" web spokes for 80 bucks apiece. He's also going to do my disc calipers and new rotor hats red and install same with new pads but we haven't settle on a price for that yet.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 AM
kuuud
Neutral
Sandblasting

I just received a quote of 60 per wheel. That includes sandblasting. The only caveat from the sandblaster was regarding the bolts near the wheel perimeter. He though they may be for appearance and epoxied in place. He ran across this before and the bolts all fell out in the oven. He said that customer had to replace about 60 bolts at 2 bucks each. That would sure drive the cost up. I have a 2007 S with 17" wheels that are gray with a polished edge that may or may not be a separate piece. I call them a snowflake pattern but dont know the actual name or #. The calcium cloride used in the winter has corroded the polished edge and i'm thinking of powder coating them balck although for all the hassle it's not a whole lote more money to buy new aftermarket wheels. Any thoughts anyone?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
flredmini
3rd Gear
Got my wheels back from sand blasting. I thought about powder coating, but the wheels have the plastic center caps that cover the lugs, so that isn't an option. I will probably paint them myself. Do I use a self etching primer first, then enamel and clear?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 PM
mckchr67
2nd Gear
Most shops that powder coat can get you a paint code to match up as long as you don't go with a crazy color/metallic/pearl... and yeah self etching, enamel and wheel/extra hardened clear.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 AM
kuuud
Neutral
Ok, winter is over and the wheels have suffered through another salt season. They are 2-piece, but I wonder if there is a seal of some kind between the parts that may or may not stand up to the heat in baking the powder coat. I guess I could split the wheel pieces but need to buy a tool to fit the goofy bolt style. Hmmm decisions decisions. wish I could just afford new wheels. Well I could if I knew I could get a few bucks for the old ones!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are original mini wheels with bolts around the edge then they are actual two piece wheels and they should be disassembled for blasting and coating. There is no seal on a two piece wheel, just three piece. In this case the bolts wouldn't be in place anyway. If you post a picture it will easier to give you a very definetive answer about what you have and what should be done.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I've had a number of wheels powdercoated which starts with beadblasting usually. I'm paying less than $300 for all 4 done in black and always excellent results. Make sure they tape off any "fitment" areas so there's no powdercoat to foul your fitting the wheels back on your car.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kuuud
Ok, winter is over and the wheels have suffered through another salt season. They are 2-piece, but I wonder if there is a seal of some kind between the parts that may or may not stand up to the heat in baking the powder coat. I guess I could split the wheel pieces but need to buy a tool to fit the goofy bolt style. Hmmm decisions decisions. wish I could just afford new wheels. Well I could if I knew I could get a few bucks for the old ones!!!
The web spoke is a BBS product and they do use a sealer. You will need this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOYOTA-S...-/180963549083

You will also want to find out the torque specs of those bolts before taking them apart.

BBS's numbers depending on wheel model will range from 12 -25 lbs. Try loosing or rotating the inside nut a smidge first before loosening the face bolts to help break them free.

And once you get those torque numbers use blue loc-tite when tightening them back together.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 AM
kuuud
Neutral
Ok here goes attempt to upload pics. Seems like this is a whole lot of work (wheels that is). Find spot to leave car. Borrow jack stands. Jack up car. Remove wheels. Take to tire store for tire removal. Buy bolt head tool. Disassemble wheels. Take to sand blaster/ powder coater. Pick wheels up. Purchase sealant. Reassemble. Pay tire store to remount and balance. Remount wheels. Return jack stands. Damn, makes me tired just thinking about it.

Damn I hate winter and road salt!!! The rest of my car is immaculate.

Attached Thumbnails Sandblasting Wheels-image.jpg  

Last edited by kuuud; 04-17-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
kuuud
Neutral
BTW, what kind of tool do I need to fit these bolts? I wouldn't worry about total disassembly but the sealant ( if it truly exists) probably won't withstand the powder coat baking (400 degrees, I think).

Hmmm, maybe sandblasting and paint? The black wheels I have been pricing all say painted not powder coated

Attached Thumbnails Sandblasting Wheels-image.jpg  

Last edited by kuuud; 04-17-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even without the sealant you wouldn't want to blast or coat the wheels in any way without disassembling them. If you leave them together you will be painting over seams and bolts indiscriminately, which is really not the right way to do it. You could mask all the seams and bolts off but that is just as much work as actually just taking them apart.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM
kuuud
Neutral
Thanks for all the tips. I am a hands on guy and do most all my own work on my motorcycles. Unfortunately I don't have a place to park the wheel-less Mini while the work is done.

I bit the bullet and found a set of new wheels on ebay. After I switch them out, I'll either sell the BBS wheels as is or disassemble and powder coat the right way.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
kuuud
Neutral
The new (all black) wheels look good on the black mini and don't show the brake dust as easily. I sold the salt blistered BBS wheels for $300. Now I can readily see the calipers and their salt damaged finish. Red ones would look great. Oh well, it's always something!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM
kuuud
Neutral
BTW, thanks to all for the advice.