Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

O.Z. Superturismo VS Motegi MR119

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O.Z. Superturismo VS Motegi MR119

Like the title says. I love the O.Z. Superturismo. Don't love the price and the weight With that being said I have a 2010 MCS and just drive it on the street. So I can live with the 20lbs.

While looking at Tire Rack I came across the Motegi MR119. Looks very similar to the superturismo, same weight and offset, but almost half the price.

I even spoke with a rep at Tire Rack and asked what the differences were. Basically was told the fit and finish is better on the O.Z.

So really at this point is it really worth twice as much just for a slightly better cosmetic finish and no weight savings?

I can get the MR119 with free shipping from another online vendor for 556.00

The O.Z. will run about 980 plus another 90 for shipping.

I will be getting 17x7 and going to use my Run Flats since they are brand new.

Links

O.Z. ----> http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Motegi ----> http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with the O.Z.'s hands down....better quality and better looking IMO. Fyi, I went through a similar question with myself before getting my O.Z.'s. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. $1000 for a set of wheels is still a great price, and a quality brand. In my backwards thinking, only paying $500 for the other set would give me pause.
Good luck

Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
BJDavis
1st Gear
You might also check out the Sparco wheels on Tire Rack - They're engineered by OZ and weigh in at 18 lbs

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
I'm not trying to be a cheap **** by any means, I have owned brand name rims in the past and cheaper versions as well. At the end of the day, I just drive all my vehicles on the street. I am comfortable with my ***** size and don't need name brand stuff to make it bigger.

Wish Tire Rack would offer free shipping like many of the other online vendors.

Still seems like I am paying extra for just the name nothing else. They weigh the same weight and the fit an finish of the Motegi rims look good.

I think the rims look almost identical....

Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM
LiLaSiiaN8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
I would go with the O.Z.'s hands down....better quality and better looking IMO. Fyi, I went through a similar question with myself before getting my O.Z.'s. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. $1000 for a set of wheels is still a great price, and a quality brand. In my backwards thinking, only paying $500 for the other set would give me pause.
Good luck
I second this.. There were a couple sets floating in the Marketplace.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
"I'm not trying to be a cheap **** by any means, I have owned brand name rims in the past and cheaper versions as well. At the end of the day, I just drive all my vehicles on the street. I am comfortable with my ***** size and don't need name brand stuff to make it bigger.

Still seems like I am paying extra for just the name nothing else. They weigh the same weight and the fit an finish of the Motegi rims look good.

I think the rims look almost identical...."

WoW....ummmm ...I didn't attacked you for being cheap, was just making a case for O.Z. over Motegi.

Im really happy that you are proud of your size...but i don't know why you posted if you already have your answer.

Enjoy

Last edited by Phx JCW; 09-12-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added quote for context
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
"I'm not trying to be a cheap **** by any means, I have owned brand name rims in the past and cheaper versions as well. At the end of the day, I just drive all my vehicles on the street. I am comfortable with my ***** size and don't need name brand stuff to make it bigger.

WoW....ummmm ...I didn't attacked you for being cheap, was just making a case for O.Z. over Motegi.

Im really happy that you are proud of your size...but i don't know why you posted if you already have your answer.

Enjoy
Hey that's what I hate about the internet. I didn't take any offense to you post. I actually appreciate the input. I'm just a sarcastic kind of guy!

I'm not trying to be the defender of the universe for Motegi, was just trying to convinve myself that the O.Z. was a much better rim. Then after talking to someone at Tire Rack, they didn't give me any information about the O.Z. being a much better buy. Basically stated they have a nicer cosmetic finish that was it.

You know how it is, people will sweat by a product, simply because it cost more. I am sure it might be a better rim. Just trying to see what others input was. Really appreciate the comments.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear

Enjoy
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke
Hey that's what I hate about the internet. I didn't take any offense to you post. I actually appreciate the input. I'm just a sarcastic kind of guy!

I'm not trying to be the defender of the universe for Motegi, was just trying to convinve myself that the O.Z. was a much better rim. Then after talking to someone at Tire Rack, they didn't give me any information about the O.Z. being a much better buy. Basically stated they have a nicer cosmetic finish that was it.

You know how it is, people will sweat by a product, simply because it cost more. I am sure it might be a better rim. Just trying to see what others input was. Really appreciate the comments.
No Problem. To me, I also picked O.Z. because I have had many sets in the past and have used them on the street/track and have never had a problem with them. Wheels are one of the most important parts in terms of safety and I wouldnt want to risk that (not saying anything bad about Motegi). I also think the O.Z. is a little "cleaner" looking wheel as far as the design goes.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 AM
PatM
6th Gear
I have the Motegi and the are great wheels. I saved a bunch of money and they perform very well thank you. I prefer to spread my hard earned dollars out a bit more. I'm sure the others are a great wheel as well but I don't race or track my car nor do I show it. So I'm a very happy camper and have a whole bunch more money in my bank account.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I have the Motegi and the are great wheels. I saved a bunch of money and they perform very well thank you. I prefer to spread my hard earned dollars out a bit more. I'm sure the others are a great wheel as well but I don't race or track my car nor do I show it. So I'm a very happy camper and have a whole bunch more money in my bank account.
I don't track this car either. What Motegi rims do you have?
At the end of the day, most of these rims are probably cast by the same company and then shipped out in different boxes. If I was going to track this car and was competing, then I wouldn't even be considering either of these rims. I like these rims based solely on looks. Either brand can't be worse than the stock clunkers I have on the car now.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM
PatM
6th Gear
I happen to have the SP10 which look and work great. They weigh 17 lbs which is way less than the stock wheels.

I'm very happy and would recommend them to anyone.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
+1 for the SP10 - I just installed a set of these purchased from TR and I am very happy with them. Weight is listed at 16.5lbs, and so far the weight reduction vs. the S-lites (25lbs) is hugely noticable - the car has such better behavior with these wheels in many ways.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Between those two choice, IMO the OZ look better but they cost a lot more $$.
Totally agree. Buuuuuuuuuuuut $$$$ that much better? LOL

I've seen the Motegi MR119 in person and they look really sharp.

With the savings that can go towards a nice exhaust system.

To damn tough to decide. How does the 40mm offset look on the mini? Stock is 38 correct? and the bigger the number the farther out the rim will sit right?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
Totally agree. Buuuuuuuuuuuut $$$$ that much better? LOL

I've seen the Motegi MR119 in person and they look really sharp.

With the savings that can go towards a nice exhaust system.

To damn tough to decide. How does the 40mm offset look on the mini? Stock is 38 correct? and the bigger the number the farther out the rim will sit right?
Stock is 48. Smaller number sticks out more. I think the OZ is 37 and the Motegei is 40. 40mm looks fine - hardly any different from stock. See above pic of the SP10 on my car - that is 40mm offset.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
PatM
6th Gear
C4Racer,
They do look good. Just like my car but I got the black. The light weight is really nice and I could tell the difference between the stock wheel and this one. I tried to justify the price of the OZ's and several other wheels out there that cost considerably more than the Motegi and some in between the OZ and the Motegi and I just couldn't do it.

I will use that money for other things. For instance my Hawaiian vacation in November. Reservations are made and time is marching on. I'll be laying on the beach of Kauai enjoying life. LOL. 7 days of bliss and relaxation.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think at this point I will go with the Motegi. They won't be in stock until mid October. I really wanted to put some new kicks on my MINI. I really want to ditch the run flats as well, unfortunately when I purchased my MINI the dealer had put 4 brand new tires on the car. It would be a waste to just pull them off and not use them.

I was even kicking the idea around about getting some 18" team dynamic 1.2 rims

When you go up to an 18 can you adjust the tire size in the computer to reflect MPH correctly?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM
tremperj
4th Gear
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think at this point I will go with the Motegi. They won't be in stock until mid October. I really wanted to put some new kicks on my MINI. I really want to ditch the run flats as well, unfortunately when I purchased my MINI the dealer had put 4 brand new tires on the car. It would be a waste to just pull them off and not use them.

When you go up to an 18 can you adjust the tire size in the computer to reflect MPH correctly?
Just buy the proper size tire as to not change the diamater of the overall setup, and the speedo wont change.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I think you would be dissatisfied with the ride of the 18 inch wheel. It changes it quite dramatically and I don't think for the better.

I also considered the Team Dynamic wheels but ultimately chose the 17 inch Motegi instead. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The others are excellent wheels but I just couldn't justify the expense for the way I drive the car.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
I bet you could sell them for a decent price - especially if you are including the wheels.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
I would like to change up to a different tire. But it just makes more sense to run these down then change out. Especially since I am going to continue to run the same size tire as the run flats.

Just bummed I have to wait until mid October to get the Motegi wheels. Was hoping some people would have posted some good reasons why I should buy the O.Z. wheels. But at the end of the day, for the price difference I am simply paying for a slightly different cosmetic look. I am pretty picky when it comes to stuff, and to be honest I think the Motegi and OZ look very similar.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
e46jb
4th Gear
If you need motivation to spend more on the OZ's. I have had 3 sets on various cars and they are amazing, strong and keep a nice finish in all types of use

They are cast wheels as are the Motegi's, but probably use a little different alloy mixture.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM
tremperj
4th Gear
There plenty of threads about the safety aspects of high end cast and forged rims versus lower quality counterparts. I don't know where Motegi factors in, but plenty of stories abound of Rota wheels shattering on impact with a big pothole while a OZ or HRE wheel bends and allows you to limp off the road.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Don't know much about Motegi Racing other than they are made by/subsidiary of American Racing. They seem to be pretty darn good wheels for the price. OZ racing has F1, the WRC, and so forth on their current list of been there done that's which certainly says something. They spend a lot of time and money on R&D on the tech side of wheel development at the professional level.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: O.Z. Superturismo VS Motegi MR119