Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Roofing Nail in Rear Runflat -- Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I found out what was making the loud clicking noise on my MINI -- a nail.

There's a roofing nail protruding out of the inner edge of the rear driver's side tire. It is pretty much as far to edge of the tire as can be! Because it is so far at the edge, it is still protruding out about 1/8" (not flat against the rubber if it were in the center of the tire).

It is a Goodyear NCT 5 with only 10K miles on it, and a rear wheel so it has very little tread wear. I called the local Goodyear shop, and they have the facilities to remove/repair/replace it, but the manager had no idea what a MINI Cooper even was when I called to ask if I could bring it in tonight.

She was like "Is that a Dodge?"

Anyway, she said something about Corvettes that use Goodyear runflats have a sensor inside the wheel. She didn't know if the MINI had one. Does anyone know?

What should I tell them about the MINI wheels/tires...anything special they should know, such as lug-nut torque specs? I don't want them to over-tighten the lugs when they get the new or repaired tire on it.

Also, will Goodyear pro-rate the cost of a new tire, based on the 10K miles of this one, even though it came with the car and I didn't buy it from their shop?

Thanks a million everyone. And no, the runflat sensor has not even flashed...I guess the nail has maintained a good seal, or maybe it hasn't reach the inside...anyway, I'm NOT about to remove it and find out. I drove about 100 miles on this tire with the nail it so far and no problems, but of course I'm gonna have it removed and HOPEFULLY repaired. Any suggestions appreciated. (I know, "ditch the runflats&quot

Thanks,

-Joe

Old 03-29-2004, 03:19 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you'll need to get that tire replace. The torque spec is 110ft-lbs IIRC. I remember seeing some paperwork that listed it as 88 ft-lbs, but I might not be remembering correctly.

Make sure they cover it under the road hazzard program so you can get your new tire purchase pro-rated.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:59 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
torque for the lug bolts is 88.5 lb ft, page 115 in the 03 owners manuel.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Teampajn
4th Gear
Any good shop will have what is called a torque stick type of socket that only lets the air gun to tighten lug nuts to a specific amount. I believe it is about 80-90 ft lbs. They may get out a torque wrench to tighten them up, but I wouldn't bet on it. If the nail has broken through it will have to be replaced, because it is more than likely on the edge of the treadwall. I would recommend checking the air pressure often and get to the shop asap.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:34 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
The runflats are pricey to replace.
I would consider getting (4) new tires
I have goodyears (I think they are RSA's I'll have to look ) I don't remember.
I'll be glad to give you what you need :smile:
Peace,
D

Old 03-30-2004, 03:54 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I agree with the others who say that there's a good chance that your tire CANNOT be repaired and that you'll need to replace it. This is based on your description of where the nail is in the tire. If it's too close to the sidewall (which seems to be true in your case), most professional tire stores won't repair it. This is to be contrasted with many MINI dealers that won't repair it just because they want to sell you a new tire. I'd take Goodyear's word for whether it can or cannot be repaired. And the fact that they don't know what a MINI is has nothing to do with their competence re. the tire itself. They're the manufacturer, they can make the best call.

I have had runflats repaired, and when done properly, they work fine...but you do need to make sure that you're getting a repair done that SHOULD be done (and too close to the sidewall should NOT be done).

As for your question re. sensors... The MINI has a whole different type of inflation sensing system than does the Corvette. Actually, the MINI's system doesn't directly sense inflation, but rather the rotational speed of the wheel. Less air, smaller tire, more rotations (to keep up with the other wheels) and you get the warning light. The Corvette's, on the other hand, senses the actual pressure within the tire. The Corvette's system is much more expensive to implement than the MINI's (so go figure which one BMW went for...). For what it's worth, the MINI's type of system has received very negative attention from the DOT and the auto industry in general for being VERY INACCURATE and giving false positive/negative readings. Obviously a false positive could be ultimately disasterous for someone who only depends on the light and never bothers checking the actual pressures.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 AM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
I was told that you place the side of your thumb on the edge of the tread and if the nail is within the width of you thumb than the tire cannot be repaired.