Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Goodyear Service Center B.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 AM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just brought my 2003 MINI to the local Goodyear Service Center. I have 10,400 miles on the car, and picked up a large roofing nail in the left rear tire this weekend. No air has leaked out, still 32 PSI, but the nail is in a position that is NOT REPAIRABLE -- all the way on the outer edge of the tread.

The Goodyear Service Center people said they do not have NCT-5s in stock, they would order one it would take a day or two, I can drive on the tire with the nail in it for the next couple days with no problems (I only drive about 10 miles per day to and from work).

When I asked about price, they said I would have to pay full price for the new tire, "there is no OEM pro-rated road-hazard covereage for those tires". I think this is bullsh!t. I know someone else (jerseygirl?) on NAM has gone to a Goodyear Tire Center with a nail in a new (around 10K miles, less than 9 months old!) runflat and got it replaced FREE.

anyone have experience with this? Should I call the dealer and see what they say about it?

Thanks,

-Joe

Old 03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Joe, did you buy road hazzard insurance for your tires? If not, and now that you've driven 10,000 miles on them (which is probably close to 1/2 their useful life), you aren't going to get coverage. As far as I know, road hazzard coverage for the tires doesn't come automatically with a new MINI.

Chalk it up to a s**t happens thing and buy 4 new tires. Get non-runflats and performance tires this time. You'll love the difference.