Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bought my first Mini but need to replace some things...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
cincystephen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my first Mini but need to replace some things...help

I just bought a 2010 MINI Clubman S. I knew up front that it needed new tires and break pads. Do I replace the run flats with run flats or something else? They are 16". Best place to buy break pads and what brand?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ditch the runflats. You'll be glad you did.

Tons of info can be found on here re: brake pads. Largely a matter of opinion and what fits your driving style and needs/priorities.

Call the Tirerack. They can help you with your decisions on tires and pads. And most swap out rotors with the pads, BTW.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
tires

I am thinking about just getting a set of tires for winter and then worry about replacing my tires when it gets warm in April after reading through the forums. I found these tires on craigslist that are the same size as mine are right now. They are from a 2006 convertible MINI S, how do find out if the rim layout fits my 2010 clubman s?
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/3354291511.html

Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Unless you need another set of rims, I see no value in the craigslist deal. Tire rack can get you outfitted with a set of winter tires for around $100.00 +/ - a corner. I just had a new set installed at an allignment shop and the guy charged me $10.00 a corner to mount and balance. Do a little more shopping before you jump in. No need to spend bucks where you don't need to.

Here's what I found on Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=16

Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
but wouldn't it make sense to have winter tires on a set of rims and get some high performance summer tires for my current rims that need the runflats replaced? So I then have and extra set of winter tires on rims for what 4 winter tires almost cost alone.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
trakatdave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cincystephen
I am thinking about just getting a set of tires for winter and then worry about replacing my tires when it gets warm in April after reading through the forums. I found these tires on craigslist that are the same size as mine are right now. They are from a 2006 convertible MINI S, how do find out if the rim layout fits my 2010 clubman s?
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/3354291511.html
The 2010 clubman uses larger diameter lug bolts and will not fit into the 2006 wheels.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Unless you need another set of rims, I see no value in the craigslist deal. Tire rack can get you outfitted with a set of winter tires for around $100.00 +/ - a corner. I just had a new set installed at an allignment shop and the guy charged me $10.00 a corner to mount and balance. Do a little more shopping before you jump in. No need to spend bucks where you don't need to.

Here's what I found on Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=16
Originally Posted by trakatdave
The 2010 clubman uses larger diameter lug bolts and will not fit into the 2006 wheels.
Where can I go to find what years do?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Second generation MINIs start with model year 2007. Wheels from a first gen will not fit a second gen. Pretty sure Countryman wheels will not fit on your vehicle but any other wheels from MINIs built on or after 2007 should.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Second generation MINIs start with model year 2007. Wheels from a first gen will not fit a second gen. Pretty sure Countryman wheels will not fit on your vehicle but any other wheels from MINIs built on or after 2007 should.
thank you so much, that should help me while shopping on craiglist and ebay. I have so much to learn about the MINI Cooper world. But I love my car!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
OP's plan makes a lot of sense. Just remember you will need a place to store the wheels out of season, you can probably get a less expensive winter set, most wheels will accept the 14mm lug bolt - bring one along when you look at the clist set. I am using gen1 wheels on my 2010.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
cincystephen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tio Barry
OP's plan makes a lot of sense. Just remember you will need a place to store the wheels out of season, you can probably get a less expensive winter set, most wheels will accept the 14mm lug bolt - bring one along when you look at the clist set. I am using gen1 wheels on my 2010.
so you think the 2006 may fit? I just thought that was a great price for newer tires with rims to use during winter.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will also want to add TPMS sensors to the new set of wheels. Make sure you buy the right ones. They are not all interchangeable. This will also add cost to your plan. That being said I use the stock wheels as my winter wheels and have another set of wheels much lighter than factory stock for my summer tread. It works well for me. This way I can rotate the tires myself and change from one set to another in my garage. I do this for both of our cars.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI changed from a 12 X 1.5 mm lug bolt to a 14 X 1.25 mm lug bolt midway or so through 2006. I agree with Tio Barry that MINI factory wheels will work on both lug bolts, I've read that in numerous places and have 3 sets of MINI factory wheels that work fine with my 14mm bolts. Pat M makes a valid point regardless of what additional wheels you may obtain, you will need to have the proper coordinated TPMS sensors installed in the wheels unless you want to look at the warning light. Fortunately my '07 MCS uses the early style system that uses rubber valve stems. Just thought I would share a bit of info, good luck in your hunt.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Ditch the runflats

For Brake pads go with the EBC Redstuff we've had great luck with them.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
would it be unheard of to just not put the tpms sensors on my winter tires and live with the light on in car Nov-Feb?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes. Again your logic is correct. The little light stays on in the center (easy to ignore) and you should check the air in your tires manually evey couple of weeks. You can also save a couple hundred dollars skipping the add'l sensors.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
sorry if this is another dumb question... does the break sensor come with the break pads when you buy them? do the sensors always need replaced with changing the pads and rotors if they don't come with the rotors or pads? Is the old one bad or does it go bad by breaking off and setting off the brake light? My understanding is that it's one sensor front left and one sensor back right on 2010 clubman s

Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry if this is another dumb question... does the break sensor come with the break pads when you buy them? do the sensors always need replaced with changing the pads and rotors if they don't come with the rotors or pads? Is the old one bad or does it go bad by breaking off and setting off the brake light? My understanding is that it's one sensor front left and one sensor back right on 2010 clubman s
The sensors are sold separate. If you have tripped the sensor, then it will have to be replaced to clear the light. It is more than a simple on/off circuit. If you have started to get into the actual sensor part, it is considered "tripped".

It is possible for the sensor to go bad, but not very common. You are correct on the locations.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
The sensors are sold separate. If you have tripped the sensor, then it will have to be replaced to clear the light. It is more than a simple on/off circuit. If you have started to get into the actual sensor part, it is considered "tripped".

It is possible for the sensor to go bad, but not very common. You are correct on the locations.
so if the front pads are setting it off, I only have to buy a front sensor as long as I change the back before it gets the sensor. Thank you for the reply.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
I just bought both front and back brake pads from Rock Auto. They were a Monroe kit and came with pads, clips and sensors for a very good price. If you feel you need performance parts go with some of the suggestions above, but if you use your Mini like 90% of us check out Rock Auto for a deal that includes the sensors.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM
cincystephen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobertJ
I just bought both front and back brake pads from Rock Auto. They were a Monroe kit and came with pads, clips and sensors for a very good price. If you feel you need performance parts go with some of the suggestions above, but if you use your Mini like 90% of us check out Rock Auto for a deal that includes the sensors.
thanks man, i like the prices on rockauto, but i can't find the packages you got, only the individual parts.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 AM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Sorry, I've been traveling and just saw your response. Here's the part numbers and prices:

MONROE DX1204W Brake Pad $42.79
MONROE DX1309W Brake Pad $36.79

These come with needed clips and sensors.