Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Konig Feathers - confused on what else I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Mr. Bungle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Konig Feathers - confused on what else I need?

I just bought some new wheels & tires for my 2009 Cooper S:

This is my first set of aftermarket wheels for the car, and after some research, I'm really confused about what else I'll need to mount these wheels. On my other cars, I'm used to just removing the old lug nuts, taking off the old wheels, putting on the new wheels and putting the old lug nuts back on.

This is what's confusing me:
  • What are wheel bolts/studs? Do I need to get new ones?
  • I've seen a few threads discussing 12mm bolt holes vs. 14mm bolt holes on the Konig Feathers. I guess the R56 needs 14mm bolts, where the R53 used 12mm, same as the Feathers (used to?) use. Will I be OK, or will I need one of the stud/bolt conversion kits that I've seen for sale?
  • I probably want to get black lug nuts (or bolts/studs?) to match the wheels. Can anyone recommend a set?
  • Do I need hubcentric rings? If so, what size?
  • Will wheel locks fit this setup?
  • Is anyone aware of what size spacers I can use for the Konig Feathers? I'd like to push the wheels outward as much as I can for an agressive look. I know that you're supposed to just measure your gap to get the appropriate spacer size, but ideally I'd learn the right size in advance so I can just put the wheels on once.
As you can see, I'm very confused. Any advice on what/where to order would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your stock wheel studs (14mm) will work, you don't "need" new ones. The wheels should come with hubcentric rings, the feathers that I purchased from ALTA did. For the spacers, I think anything more than 5mm will require longer studs. Here is a good write up on how to measure for wheel spacers:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=512527

Did you ask the ebay seller if those wheels would fit on a 2009 MCS? From the link that you provided they do not. Just because it is 4x100 bolt pattern does not mean it will fit the 09 MCS as those wheels could be 12mm bolt holes. I clicked on your link, put in 2009 MCS and it said that those wheels are not compatible.