Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire Quandry! Best way to appease the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Quandry! Best way to appease the wife?

Hi Everyone,

Here goes: We are extremely unlucky when it comes to tires with our Mini. We only have 26K on her and have had to replace two tires twice already due to the "EVIL" screw/nail in the sidewall

We have moved to Colorado and the front's are essentially "racing slicks" that are in dire need of replacement. The two rears are Conti Pro Contact SSR 195/55 R16 87V's and have only about 2.5K miles on them (tons of tread left).

One thing that has been annoying us (pretty much since we purchased my wife's pride and joy) is the HORRID road noise that we get. I am attributing the majority of this to the Run Flats.

She would like to just replace the front tires with the same Conti's that we have in the back but I am pretty certain there is a better way to go that will both DECREASE the noise on the road AND help save us a few bucks as opposed to having runflats.

We have the Jeeps for deep snow but just in case she gets caught in a storm while coming home from work we would really like to find a nice set of tires that would:

1. Diminish the noise
2. Improve the ride (not feeling every pebble)
3. Give us some better snow capability

At the moment we really cant afford getting a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter so what we put on will have to last us til the spring time.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. After shelling out the bucks at the dealer for the rear pair (at the worst time for us) she also wants to try and sell the two Conti's.

Thanks SOOOOO much in advance!!!!

Mike

PS.....I am also trying to explain to my wife that NOT having the Runflats would not be that bad with a compressor and patch kit/slime(?) but she thinks this will cost a ton of money and NOT do the trick if she has a flat.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Ask yourself how important it is to have runflats in case of a flat on the road.

If having runflats is a must then-
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS pole position RFT (Ultra High Perf All Season tire)
195/55-16 $145 each, 400 treadwear, 25 lbs
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=164
It is also possible to use a slightly taller tire size for more sidewall
205/55-16 $126 each, 28 lbs, tire diam. 24.9"

If you are ready to change to non runflats then for ride comfort and reduced road noise consider-

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All Season tire)
205/55-16 $136 each, fits OEM MINI 16" wheels, 620 treadwear,23 lbs, tire diam. 24.9", H speed rated.
While these tires are a little tall, they work with stock suspension fine.
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=166

Since these are both all season tires you can run them three seasons and in some light snow.

If budget is a consideration and you don't want to give up much handling then in non runflat

Kumho Ecsta 4X (Ultra High Perf All Season non runflat)
195/55-16 $86 each, 420 treadwear, 19 lbs, V Speed rated
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=151
You trade better handling for less comfort and slightly more noise than the Michelin MXV4.

Or for a little more per tire-
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (UHP All season tire)
205/50-16 $116 each, 540 treadwear, 19 lbs, tire diam. 24.1"
This fits OEM 16" wheels fine, the sidewall is a little less tall but the tire construction is a little soft for comfort.
Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=165

As for the flat, you can pack a compact spare tire in the boot and cover it with a durable bag. You'll need AAA to call if needed, or carry a small jack and tire lug wrench.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Minihune,

Runflats are NOT a consideration for me and after a lengthy discussion with my wife we are opting OUT of the Run Flat situation. The "skate" can take the spare donut for us and it will work fine (with the backup compressor and slime/patch if needed).

A quite revealing conversation just went on with my wife and she actually revealed that she HATES the noise in the "skate" and the tramlining has really bugged her since we moved to Colorado. (I did not know this until we had a huge conversation tonight...funny how things happen right?...LOL)

What I found REALLY surprising is that she is actually willing to "give up" her pride and joy due to factors that I never thought were an issue.....

Do you have a recommendation for a good Winter tire that could be used that would have low noise/better comfort in summer time?

We have about 6 months of pretty cold weather (three snows already) but it sublimates after a few days and the roads are clear but are COLD.

Thanks for the help and we have really enjoyed your posts.....she and I are reading all we can tonight....

Mike

Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,209 Likes on 940 Posts
Conti DWS +1 Quiet, nice ride and good traction even in snow.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Here is an easy to use and very complete tire repair kit. The compressor is a good one too.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I also carry some quick detailing and windshield cleaning supplies in the bag as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike1968NM
Thanks Minihune,

Runflats are NOT a consideration for me ...

Do you have a recommendation for a good Winter tire that could be used that would have low noise/better comfort in summer time?

We have about 6 months of pretty cold weather (three snows already) but it sublimates after a few days and the roads are clear but are COLD.

Mike
OK, be sure to talk to Alex@tirerack.com extention 294 to get more info or discuss pros and cons of possible choices.

In general using a narrow tire can help with less tramlining and it may cut through deeper snow better than a wider tire.

Here are some tire survey results for-

Grand Touring All Season tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 looks like a good match for your needs.
I don't think you have to give up your MINI

Ultra High Performance All Season tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Here the Continental ExtremeContact DWS looks good.

Spare tire here-
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-spare-tire-wheel.html

Realize that no one tire does everything for every driver. It all depends on your needs and requirements.

I have a 2003 MCS that I use for motorsports and for daily driving. When I want comfort I will use stock 15" MINI wheels and 195/60-15 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for better mpg and comfort. Sure handling is not as good as Extreme Summer tires in 205/45-17 what I run but that setup is jarring and noisy on the street. They also wear out fast.

I have used Primacy MXV4 on a 2006 Civic sedan and it works as advertised, a very comfortable and quiet ride, good in dry or wet. The other thing about good tires is they act like an upgrade to your suspension improving handling and/or ride quality.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,209 Likes on 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike1968NM
Thanks Minihune,

Runflats are NOT a consideration for me and after a lengthy discussion with my wife we are opting OUT of the Run Flat situation. The "skate" can take the spare donut for us and it will work fine (with the backup compressor and slime/patch if needed).

A quite revealing conversation just went on with my wife and she actually revealed that she HATES the noise in the "skate" and the tramlining has really bugged her since we moved to Colorado. (I did not know this until we had a huge conversation tonight...funny how things happen right?...LOL)

What I found REALLY surprising is that she is actually willing to "give up" her pride and joy due to factors that I never thought were an issue.....

Thanks for the help and we have really enjoyed your posts.....she and I are reading all we can tonight....

Mike
Tires can be changed. It would be a shame to give up on the Pride and Joy because of them.

The Conti ExtremeContact DWS would be a great choice for the car. It is an all season tire that performs well in light to moderate snow. As I said above, it rides really well, handling is good and it is quiet.

Not sure what you mean when you say "good Winter tire that could be used that would have low noise/better comfort in summer time"

Winter tires should not be used above about 50 deg F. The rubber is not made for those temps and the tires will wear really fast. Also, winter tires do not handle as well as either AS or summer performance tires.

However, that all aside, if you want a real winter tire I would highly recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. They ride well, are reasonably quiet and work really well in the snow. I put them on our '04 MINI and they were great last winter.

I am actually running the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT on my 2012 S and find that they do not have any of the issues the OEM RF tires have. Plus I will never have to change a flat in a snow storm. Something to think about.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Remember there is a well in your Clubman boot for a spare tire if you ditch the runflats.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would agree with Eddie on the continental DWS as a very good all season tire. I used to run them pretty much all year around (except for track days) and have about 20 k miles on them now. They are quiet, comfortable and do not tram line much. And they are respectable in the snow when I ran them for two winter seasons in the NE.

However, they do have soft sidewalls. While it does makes it comfortable, it does loose a little on the handling side. I still think it is a decent tradeoff.