Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

How can we get around the "No Tire Chains" requirement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
How can we get around the "No Tire Chains" requirement?

2007 MCS with 195/55R16 Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on Focal F09 rims, just for winter driving.

When going over the Sierra's, it's not uncommon for chains to be required. Problem is, the manual says "no chains". Even tho there's about 1/2" between the side of the tire and the shock absorber, and even more clearance between the tread and the top-side of the suspension / wheel well, I'd like to try using a "wheel spacer". I prefer cables to chains, mainly because they're easier to work with. The spacers would only be used for winter in the Sierras, not for high performance driving.

Question is --- will a spacer work for cable use and if so, what thickness spacer is recommended? Several sizes are available, with and without longer bolts. Or, is there a better solution to satisfying the chain requirement?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure the manual says you can't run chains? That just doesn't seem right. Maybe they are requiring something besides "chains", like the cables you mention or plastic snow gripers???

(Don't have my manual handy to check it...)

Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,209 Likes on 940 Posts
What is the offset of the wheels? The stock MINI is 48mm. You could go to about 38 without problems for any wheel/tire/handling consideration - that is what I run at times. On a stock wheel that would be a 10 mm spacer. About 3/8 inch more clearance. You would need to know the difference between your wheel offset and 38 mm to determine the spacer you would need. As long as the chains/cables fit the outside too, not sure there would be a problem. If you had a Justa, with 15" wheels and the 175 tires, I think you can run chains.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
greenminiclub
2nd Gear
Something else like these http://www.flextrax.com/default.htm may work too.
Some cars say no chains because the ABS or traction control system can't figure out what's going on.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
On an '07 the traction control can be turned off. The ABS is a different story, but I would think that would be the least of your worries. If the cables or whatever fits, then take the car to a parking lot after a snow storm and try it out. At least that way you will know if it (all the electronics, clearances and everything else) works before going up to the top of the Sierra's.

Just remember, there is about 4" of clearance below the bumper and just about any snow you will need chains for, you will be plowing it. If the snow is deep enough you are are going to be stuck no matter what is on the wheels. There are pictures on NAM of people plowing through about a foot of snow (I have been in 11") and done OK. I'm thinking 2' might be too much though.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would recommend dedicated snow tires (with the snowflake M&S sidewall mark) and dont worry about the chains or cables. Im just picturing one of those coming loose and flaying the inside of your fender to ribbons. Would not be pretty. If have used Blizzaks and Firestone WinterForce, both of them are outstanding, the Firestones have more perf oriented carcasses so I prefer them for mixed on-snow/off-snow driving here in the NE. I ran the Bridgestones on a 2WD Pathfinder in Snowmaggedon (Maryland - 2010) and pushed through 3-1/2' drifts w/o any trouble.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Are you sure the manual says you can't run chains? That just doesn't seem right. Maybe they are requiring something besides "chains", like the cables you mention or plastic snow gripers???

(Don't have my manual handy to check it...)
OK - it doesn't say "no chains". My owners manual indicates chains have been approved for use on two very small tire sizes. My size is not included. That's as far as it goes.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
What is the offset of the wheels? The stock MINI is 48mm. You could go to about 38 without problems for any wheel/tire/handling consideration - that is what I run at times. On a stock wheel that would be a 10 mm spacer. About 3/8 inch more clearance. You would need to know the difference between your wheel offset and 38 mm to determine the spacer you would need. As long as the chains/cables fit the outside too, not sure there would be a problem. If you had a Justa, with 15" wheels and the 175 tires, I think you can run chains.
This is one of the sizes mentioned in the owners manual. I'll double check my wheel offset.

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
On an '07 the traction control can be turned off. The ABS is a different story, but I would think that would be the least of your worries. If the cables or whatever fits, then take the car to a parking lot after a snow storm and try it out. At least that way you will know if it (all the electronics, clearances and everything else) works before going up to the top of the Sierra's.

Just remember, there is about 4" of clearance below the bumper and just about any snow you will need chains for, you will be plowing it. If the snow is deep enough you are are going to be stuck no matter what is on the wheels. There are pictures on NAM of people plowing through about a foot of snow (I have been in 11") and done OK. I'm thinking 2' might be too much though.
My main concern is the fit. I won't be going fast enough to worry about ASC or ABS. The roads I travel are well maintained / plowed, so shouldn't have to worry about plowing my own way.

Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
I would recommend dedicated snow tires (with the snowflake M&S sidewall mark) and dont worry about the chains or cables. Im just picturing one of those coming loose and flaying the inside of your fender to ribbons. Would not be pretty. If have used Blizzaks and Firestone WinterForce, both of them are outstanding, the Firestones have more perf oriented carcasses so I prefer them for mixed on-snow/off-snow driving here in the NE. I ran the Bridgestones on a 2WD Pathfinder in Snowmaggedon (Maryland - 2010) and pushed through 3-1/2' drifts w/o any trouble.
Problem with this is, the Calif Hiway Patrol enforces the chain reqmt (cables are an approved alternate), so when level 3 is posted, they're required. My Ice tires also have the M & S feature. Maybe not as good as Blizzaks, but acceptable. It's mostly driving on plowed roads that have frozen over, or black ice --- both situations are common in the Sierras.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
In CA if you don't have 4 wheel drive they are going to make you chain if there is snow on the roads going over the passes. They do it just to slow the cars down. First time went up years ago in a 280ZX I got to the ski resort and they wanted me to chain up to get in the parking lot. I couldn't even spin the tires I had so much traction. I turned around and went home and bought a 4x4. I am not laying in the slush to put chains on. Also out of respect for the car. Ever seen what happens when a chain brakes or comes loose. Worse than a shread front tire in NASCAR tearing the front quarter panel off. Good luck with that one.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Studded snow tires?

Dave

Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Island maser
In CA if you don't have 4 wheel drive they are going to make you chain if there is snow on the roads going over the passes. They do it just to slow the cars down. First time went up years ago in a 280ZX I got to the ski resort and they wanted me to chain up to get in the parking lot. I couldn't even spin the tires I had so much traction. I turned around and went home and bought a 4x4. I am not laying in the slush to put chains on. Also out of respect for the car. Ever seen what happens when a chain brakes or comes loose. Worse than a shread front tire in NASCAR tearing the front quarter panel off. Good luck with that one.
+1

Jeeps are a "dime a dozen" and great in the snow especially with a set of BF Goodrich KOs