Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Checking Sizes for an R52 - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
CubanoPete
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking Sizes for an R52 - Need Help

I was looking at some wheels, but they only have a 17x8.5 +32.

I am not sure if they will fit even with the right tire?

Is anyone running a 17x8.5 +32 on an R52 or similar model?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'Can't help you with specifics but I'd find out what sizes were available from the factory (dia/width/offset) and stick with those. I have an 06 JCW cab and I'm running the factory 18" JCW wheels. Sorry, I don't know the width or offset but I'm running 215/40-18's with no problems at all.

Somewhere I recall seeing a link to a site that reviewed all the various size wheels that were/are available for the Mini. Maybe someone here will recall the link.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM
CubanoPete
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response, but I am not really looking for the factory look. I looking for an aggressive look, so the factory sizes won't help, but thanks again.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Nothing wrong with factory sizes, IMHO. Check out my gallery.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
CubanoPete
2nd Gear
Nice gallery your MCS looks really nice, just I am interested in a different look.

Maybe something like http://www.ccwheel.com/zoomed-image....LM20&id=03.jpg

Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanoPete
I was looking at some wheels, but they only have a 17x8.5 +32.

I am not sure if they will fit even with the right tire?

Is anyone running a 17x8.5 +32 on an R52 or similar model?

Thanks
If you are using stock suspension they will fit.

R52 is a cabrio either base cooper or Cooper S model

If you are lowered then choice or tire size is critical.

The wider than stock wheel with that offset will stick out 1.2" or 31 mm more than stock which is fine, it might be flush or a little more than flush with your outer wheel arch, a little negative camber will help with the looks.
No spacer needed as it will only make the wheel stick out more. You have enough space on the inward side for the suspension parts and brake calipers.

If you do have stock suspension and use this wheel then for tire size
235/40-17 would be ideal to fit the wheel and be stock in tire diameter. There is a decent selection of tires in that size. Do you know what tire and size you were considering?

You can also consider 245/40-17, it's a little heavier and costs more with a slightly taller tire diameter but OK.

Last edited by minihune; 11-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
CubanoPete
2nd Gear
Thanks for the information. I have a R52 Cooper S.

I had new BC Racing coilovers installed and the car has been lowered but obviously it will change once I have the new wheels.

I am looking to be flush with the outer wheel arch.

I was considering a tire with a little bit of a stretch, something like 205/45.

From what I have measured with my stock wheels and tires. I currently have the spoked pattern that are 16x6.5 +48 and my tires are 195/55 16

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
minihune
Thanks for the information. I have a R52 Cooper S.

I had new BC Racing coilovers installed and the car has been lowered but obviously it will change once I have the new wheels.

I am looking to be flush with the outer wheel arch.

I was considering a tire with a little bit of a stretch, something like 205/45.

From what I have measured with my stock wheels and tires. I currently have the spoked pattern that are 16x6.5 +48 and my tires are 195/55 16
Should work for you.

205/45-17 on 17x8.5" rim

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
martinb
6th Gear
I would caution you against stretching tires over rims that are wider than what the tire manufacturer recommends. The tire can't perform like it was designed to because of the screwy angle of the sidewalls and you also risk sudden bead separation from the wheel and instant tire deflation and loss of control. It's all around a bad idea just for a fashion statement born out of the lowrider craze. IMHO, sacraficing performance and safety for fashion is just plain nutz.

And for perspective on width, I used to run 205/40-18's on my JCW rims with 15mm spacers. It worked just fine. (Actually, the car came that way when I bought it.) As soon as I upsized to 215/40-18's, I had rubbing front and rear when hitting moderate bumps or cornering at medium speeds. After I removed the 15 mm spacers (0.590" or not much over 1/2"), I had no more problems, even fully loaded and cornering hard.

For reference, my car is a full JCW cab with every possible JCW option.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
CubanoPete
2nd Gear
Thanks for your input, but everyone has different views and opinions on how a car should look. Some people like the stock look and some like a more aggressive look.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
minihune
A little info on stretching tires-
http://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-t...-why-safe.html

And some pros and cons-
http://www.torquecars.com/styling/stretched-tyres.php

I think you will be fine with your plan.

Some things to consider:
Be careful when driving on unfamiliar roads, risk of damage to rims and tires is significant.
Do check tire pressures and inspect your wheels and tires regularly.
Don't expect your tires to give you full performance(reduced contact patch) and they are already altered from optimal fit due to the stretching process.
Be careful parking, or choose a good space with distant curbs.
Always be aware that if the tire debeads it will loose air quickly.

As for risk of rubbing-
Spacers move the wheel outward so rubbing the wheel arch plastic is a common problem with a wide tire on a wide wheel plus spacers of more than 5mm.
Lowered suspension reduces clearance from the basic OEM ride height
Stretching a tire helps make a wider rim fit on a lowered car, just fine tune with some negative camber.

Note that some tires stretch better than others, that's a great thing to be aware of.
See the links I provided.

Also some tire shops are more experienced at mounting stretched tires, ask around to see where others go.

Good luck with your plans.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM
CubanoPete
2nd Gear
Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Thanks for your input, but everyone has different views and opinions on how a car should look. Some people like the stock look and some like a more aggressive look.
It's not necessarily more aggresive looking. As you have more or less stated, it's a preference. My opinion on the look is that it looks just OK but looks kind of dumb, like someone was too cheap to mount the proper size tires for their new rims. But as you've said, that's a matter of opinion. (Nothin' personal, ya understand.)

What I was pointing out were the downsides, aside from the fashion of it. Maybe you are/were aware of these downsides, or maybe not. So, I thought it a good idea to point them out. I forgot to mention, in addition to reduced traction, poorer safety, and degraded load capacity and wearability, another factor to consider is that the tire manufactuer will never honor any warranty claims on the tire if it's been mounted on a rim outside their recommendation range.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by martinb

What I was pointing out were the downsides, aside from the fashion of it. Maybe you are/were aware of these downsides, or maybe not. So, I thought it a good idea to point them out. I forgot to mention, in addition to reduced traction, poorer safety, and degraded load capacity and wearability, another factor to consider is that the tire manufactuer will never honor any warranty claims on the tire if it's been mounted on a rim outside their recommendation range.
Even though your thoughts are of concern, most owners of cars with stretched tires do not report problems with street driving and most are happy with the results. They are not really concerned about the arguments mentioned. There has not been clear documentation of safety issues when using stretched tires.

Think about the risk for a moment, if there was a "great" safety issue then for insurance purposes there should be something in current car insurance wording to exclude insurance claims if stretched (specifically) tires are used on the street.

Moreover speciality tire shops would refuse to do tire mounting if they felt there was risk of legal responsibility for stretched tires. Some may require a waiver from the owner. I don't see that there is a shortage of shops that cater to this demand. It's pretty popular in urban areas.

It would be a different matter if you had a blow out that caused an accident resulting in damage or harm to others. Then, a good lawyer would be nice.