Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wilwood BBK - Latent braking in rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wilwood BBK - Latent braking in rain?

I installed Wilwood's BBK on my MCS a while ago and noticed a couple of times, while driving in the rain, that they don't seem to respond right away. It's as if, for a split second, they don't work. Then, just short moment later, they kick in. It's a bit unnerving, wanting to stop but not having immediate braking. These brakes seem just fine in all other conditions. Has anyone else noticed this?

I suspect that this might be caused by one (or both) of two factors. One, the instructions request that the dust shields should be removed when installing the kit. Two, these (BP-10) pads may need a bit of heat to stop appropriately and cool down too quickly in the rain.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Any advice?

--Matt

Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,159 Likes on 905 Posts
Had them, and never noticed that kind of problem. However, I ran the Carbotech Bobcat street pad. I never did try the BP-20s that came with them.

Without the dust shield, you might be getting some water on them that the pads don't like and it is taking a bit of time to swipe the water away. Also, as you say, the pads may need a little heat to be most effective.

The Carbo street pads are a ceramic that has a general low level of bite, less than the stock MINI pad, and the bite didn't increase much as they warmed up as some pads do. So I general found these took a little more push on the pedal which may have helped clear the water off.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Pad compounds most likely. Move from the BP10 to compounds like D or E and you'll get instant response. But... be far more metallic at temp.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, I think I answered my own question/solved my own problem. Seems, based on your combined responses, likely to be a combination of both factors. I pulled the brakes off and reinstalled the dust shields. They almost fit without any issues. The only area where there was contact was down on the bottom by the ball joint. I bent it in a couple of mms and all was well.

It was still pouring when I finished, so I went through another pass through the locations where I noted issues earlier (one stop sign after a 45mph zone and an off ramp a bit later after the road jumped up to 65mph), and found no trouble at all. They responded immediately just like they would under normal circumstances. I've not noticed any issues with them responding properly down in the 20s when dry, so the compound seems fine. It seems like I was just getting too much water/muck on them.

Better still, the rotors and calipers were dry and clean after this drive instead of wet and dirty like all previous drives I've had through the rain since I installed them. I'm assuming that will be extra beneficial once the snow starts falling and the salt is on the road. This is a street driven car, and will see plenty of nasty weather, so dust shields seem like a fair compromise.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 12-10-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,159 Likes on 905 Posts