Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New Mini Owner Need Help RE Wheel Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Zinduli
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Owner Need Help RE Wheel Size

Hi - I just picked up my 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman - and I want to buy aftermarket wheels. I really know little about cars, and less about Minis --
I don't want to buy a wheel that doesn't fit properly and could damage or compromise the mechanical integrity of the car.

I checked with the mechanic at the Mini dealer and he said if you don't have the correct fit on the hub size, an adapter has to be used. He said it can crack and cause vibrations.

I talked to a very helpful fellow at TireRack.com and he told me -- getting the exact size (in aftermarket i.e. not buying form Mini )I am not likely to find an exact match AND that the adapter is merely to keep the wheel in place while it is being torqued.

So -- can you give me some advice. Are there Brands that any of you would recommend.

Thanks
Zinduli (aka Al)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Basically aftermarket wheels have a standard dimension for the hub opening. Then car makers have their standards as well. A hub centric ring is used to bridge the gap so that the wheel seats correctly on the car. Otherwise you get vibrations.

Alex @tire rack can hook you up.

I have also had great luck with my discount tire store. They had the hub rings I needed for my car in stock. A set of 4 was like 5 bucks.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Zinduli
Neutral
Thank you for the reply. I spoke to a fellow at TireRack -- very helpful. Are there any brands that are considered "higher quality" than others. Any brands to avoid?

Thanks again for your time.

Alex

Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
You get what you pay for.

Basic wheels sold by Tirerack.com are decent enough on a budget. Most are cast Alloy construction which is OK for street use and vary in weight depending on wheel design.

For that type of construction, the lighter the wheel the more easily it can get damaged if you hit a pothole or something on the road. If you are a careful driver then you can use any wheel.

If you want the weight to be much less then usually the wheel will be of Forged Alloy. The process of making the wheel is more costly usually resulting in a stronger yet light wheel. Though it is strong you can still damage it when hitting a pothole.

A light weight wheel will allow you to use less engine power to accelerate, brake to slow the car, and be more responsive when turning.

In general for street use and daily driving or commuting it makes sense to get a 16" or 17" wheel so that you can use tires that are more comfortable and usually a little lighter in weight.

Some sample sizes-
16x7" wheel with 205/60-16 tire
17x 7.5 or 8" wheel with 205/55-17 tire
18x7.5" wheel with 225/45-18 tire
19x8.5" wheel with 225/40-19 tire

As wheel diameter is larger the wheel gets heavier and the tire sidewall shorter and stiffer which helps handling response but increases ride harshness. Select a tire that suits your needs for how you drive and see if it comes in any of those sizes, then narrow your search. If you pick a wheel size first then you are limited by the tires that will work for that wheel and still fit your MINI. Sometimes this can be limiting your tire options.

So if you have a new MINI why do you want to change the wheels? For function or for looks? Do you have runflats and want to change to non runflats so the ride quality is less harsh?

What weather do you plan to drive in? Any cold weather or snow? If so then an Ultra High performance All Season tire would be best.

Edit: see the NM 19" wheels below, ask Way how much they weigh. Tire size- 235/40-19

Last edited by minihune; 02-18-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Check out the NM Countryman wheels the fit and look awesome:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/nm-engi...ryman-r60.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Zinduli
Neutral
Thank you for the information!