Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Snow Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 09:25 AM
docjchan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan, I tried looking on your web site and couldn't find any winter packages for the MCS. Am I doing something wrong here?.

I have 17 inch run flats. The dealer tells me that they are going to be fitting 16 inch Dunlop SP run flat winter tires for the MCS.

What 16/17 inch winter wheel/tire options do you have and their prices.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2002, 04:40 AM
Indy_Archy
3rd Gear
If you go to WWW>TIRERACK.com, and click on the text below the image of the Audi driving thru the snow, you'll get to the spec section for winter tire/rim packages. Select year and make, and you are all set. FYI, the site does not have package for 2003 models yet, but I do not believe there is any difference between 2002 and 2003 that would affect tire package.

They've got 15" Blizzaks and steel rims, plus plastic wheel covers if you want them. Check the boxes, and then enter your zip, and it will add shipping charges.

Old 10-26-2002, 05:58 AM
jsun
6th Gear
docjcchan, I believe you live in eastern MA, as do I. Thus, I'd personally advise you to go with the Blizzaks vs. the Dunlops. The Blizzaks are unmatched in their ability to deal with ice...which as you know, we get more of than actual snow up here. The dealer's going to recomend the Dunlops as they're runflats (and that keeps with the no spare strategy on the S)...but I've opted to simply use roadside assistance in the event of a flat and to also carry a can of fix-a-flat for truly dire situations if they arise. Even if you end up ruining a Blizzak due to a flat, it's only a $90 tire...vs. the well-over-$100 you'll spend on the Dunlop for a less competent tire. My opinion.

Old 10-26-2002, 06:57 AM
2minis
6th Gear
As a former resident of Lake Placid, NY I concur on the Blizzak recommendation.........and run them on all 4 corners.

Florida Mini Owners

Size matters!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2002, 09:14 AM
docjchan
2nd Gear
JSUN, I work in Boston and live near 128. Thanks for all the input. So Blizzak on all 4, what about the size, the dealer said 15" were not reccomended, what do you guy's think ?.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:26 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>JSUN, I work in Boston and live near 128. Thanks for all the input. So Blizzak on all 4, what about the size, the dealer said 15" were not reccomended, what do you guy's think ?.
I don't see why you couldn't use 15". Anyone else?
but I've been in Florida for a while...maybe the
dealer knows something I don't know.

Old 10-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the latent responce gentleman. I was actually working on my driving skills ( ala Skip Barber)all last week, ands had no internet access.

15 will work correctly on the Mini, providing you raise the profile to match overall diameter. (185/65/15) We have found the narrower and taller tires tend to cut thru the snow and slush better.

Blizzaks are the way to go for traction. I speculate the dealer is against the flex of taller sidewalls.

As a rule, most people are after the added traction, and are willing to give up the instant turning responce for it. if you'd rather keep the sporty chartersitics, 16's are better suited.

Old 10-28-2002, 04:58 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Sorry for the latent responce gentleman. I was actually working on my driving skills ( ala Skip Barber)all last week, ands had no internet access.

15 will work correctly on the Mini, providing you raise the profile to match overall diameter. (185/65/15) We have found the narrower and taller tires tend to cut thru the snow and slush better.

Blizzaks are the way to go for traction. I speculate the dealer is against the flex of taller sidewalls.

As a rule, most people are after the added traction, and are willing to give up the instant turning responce for it. if you'd rather keep the sporty chartersitics, 16's are better suited.

Old 10-28-2002, 05:37 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered the 15" Alloy rims and Blizzaks back in August for the MCS and will be bolting them on tomorrow night. I ran in snow/slush yesterday and had no problems but with much more snow due over the next 5 months, off come the S Spokes. Mine came from Tirerack, and consider this an unsolicited endorsement...Very easy to work with, very knowledgeable sales staff and the product was as advertised. I think I paid in the area of $750 for the wheels and tires including shipping. As I am using the S as my daily driver ( I now have 8500 miles on since 17 May ) I needed good snow tires. My biggest concern is plowing the roads in the early AM with the air dam, should be quite a sight. I will put another message up after a few miles on the tires, I expect good results.
Mike

Old 10-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Ok, this one is kind of long and aimed mainly at Dan...

Recently Consumer Reports did a review of winter tires. These tires were grouped into two categories, the H-rated and Q-rated. Since speed doesn't concern me much and the Q-rated are generally cheaper, that's what i decided to focus on. Now the Kumho I'Zen Stud KW-11. The size as tested was 195/70R15, in case that matters. CR thought they were "an excellent choice where snow is less severe." Now, this seems to be a good match for me, as I live in Northern Virgina where the snow isn’t usually too severe or frequent, but when it does come it usually doesn't get plowed very well on some of the back roads where I live. However tirerack doesn't have these tires in any size but a 185/70R14. If I’m doing my math right, though, that *should* be the same overall circumfrence as the stock 205/45R17s.
So what would be the disadvantages (if any) of downsizing all the way to a 14 for winter tires and rims? I'm also curious about these Kumho tires. Why is the warranty rating so low, and why arent there reviews/specs/warranty/survey results available for this tire?

Now i tried to compile all the information i could from CR and the information available online at the tirerack and other sources, and this is what i came up with. Blizzaks are made more for heavy-snowfall areas than i will probably need. The Pilot Alpin was designed more as an all-season tire with occasional ice and/or snow in mind, so it's probably too un-winter-ish for me. The Arctic Alpin seems to be more what i'd want..."The best dry road handling with very good ice traction for urban areas with moderate snowfall, efficient snow removal, and on snow packed down by heavy traffic. Frequent or lengthy winter travel on crowded, dry expressways and/or winding roads." But these do come at a slight mark up in price over the Kumho, and didn't receive as good a rating in CR. Another tire that CR thought very highly of was the Graspic DS-1, but surprisingly, the survey indicated that consumers thought just the opposite!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, but I’m not sure as to which direction to head for my winter tire needs, and any feedback is more than welcome. I’m especially interested in Dan’s take on this, so I hope he gets a chance to read it.

~Brad

Old 11-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Hmmm, doesn't *anybody* have some input here??

Old 11-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
One of the major down sides to running 14's on a Mini, is that I have no wheels that will fit in 14. On the basis of minus sizing, and taller profile compensates for the smaller wheel diameter. Its usually accommodated by a narrower section width. The sidewall on taller profiles will tend to bend or flex more, causing less immediate response to steering and cornering input.
Most drivers are willing to accept more sidewall flex to gain a footprint that cuts thru snow better, and is less likely to float on top of snow.

The lack of warranty, and test data is because Tirerack just began carrying this winter tire, as a result of CR review. One thing to keep in mind about the CR tests is that the only do strait line testing, and tend to focus on more dry and clear road handling.

Tirerack focused on real world dry and clear road testing, our environmental testing is done on ice, a skating rink to be exact We use a strait line launch and brake test, and do a lateral grip test on an oval. my most vivid memory of the oval was that when I stared sliding in Blizzak, I would gently lift and get it back. Once Alpin was gone , there was no getting them back. This pertained particularly to turning, they are closer matched in strait line stopping, but not equivalent.

My feeling on Blizzak is ultimate snow, and in particular ice traction. (that's what I drive) Pilot Alpin is a true winter tire, utilizing a firmer compound and more rigid sidewall, for sportier dry and clear road handling characteristics. Artic Alpin is more a snow and ice tire than Pilot, however with better dry road handling characteristics and less snow and ice traction than Blizzak. I would also comment that I felt better in Graspic on ice, than the Michelin, but to as confident as Blizzak.

My final comment would be on customer survey results. I would address them and their scores, as non-scientific opinions. There is no control or bench mark. Test results are Tire rack's internal tests. Its still nice to see what people think, but the variance points out the inconsistency.

Dan

Old 11-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Superdave
3rd Gear
Dan,

I am interested in a set of 16" wheel tire combo for winter. I live in the west Suburbs of Chicago and they do a pretty good job of clearing snow. Much of the winter is on dry or just slushy pavement. I noticed that there is a performance Blizzak tire that sounds right for these conditions, is there a 16" combo that will work on a Cooper S ?

Dave

Old 11-07-2002, 08:06 PM
jtpryan
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>If you go to WWW>TIRERACK.com, and click on the text below the image of the Audi driving thru the snow, you'll get to the spec section for winter tire/rim packages. Select year and make, and you are all set. FYI, the site does not have package for 2003 models yet, but I do not believe there is any difference between 2002 and 2003 that would affect tire package.
>>
>>They've got 15" Blizzaks and steel rims, plus plastic wheel covers if you want them. Check the boxes, and then enter your zip, and it will add shipping charges.

I was told by the dealer MINI does not recommend using 15's on the S. But nobody knows why. TireRack has 15" steel wheels as their selection. Am I OK with these? Has anybody run them? Why the discrepency?

Old 11-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Hibou
2nd Gear
Thank you Dan for your opinion, I was looking at Dunlops M2 in the 195-65-15 size for my MCS. I live in Montreal and travel on a regular basis in the townships during the ski season.
I was looking for the Blizzaks but my mechanics recommend that I go for H speed rated otherwise the handling of the car will be ruined on dry pavements.
His idea is Blizzaks might be the best ones in the snow, but most of the time we're either driving on ice or on dry pavements ands the car with traction and AST+C is already better than most vehicles on the road.
What would be the best compromise for handling caracteristics on ice but keeping security and peace of mind

PURE SILVER MCS BLACK ROOF SPACE CLOTH PREMIUM PACK

Old 11-12-2002, 07:25 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>>Dan,
>>
>>I am interested in a set of 16" wheel tire combo for winter. I live in the west Suburbs of Chicago and they do a pretty good job of clearing snow. Much of the winter is on dry or just slushy pavement. I noticed that there is a performance Blizzak tire that sounds right for these conditions, is there a 16" combo that will work on a Cooper S ?
>>
>>
>>Dave
>>
>>_________________
>>S.D.

205/50/16 bridgestone blizzak LM 22 is a very nice compromise