Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Runflat vs non-rf learn from my mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 AM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runflat vs non-rf learn from my mistake

Thought I would outsmart the system as far as having a spare in order to switch from RF to Non-RF tires. Purchased a used 2010 Clubman S for my wife a few months back and do not like the hardness and noise of the RF tires on it. Decided I was going to go to regular tires but have been going round and round about a spare. My brainstorm solution was to buy a used 16" rim like the ones on the car and mount a tire on it when I replace the other tires with a non-RF. After placing the order for the new spare rim I decided I had better check the dimensions of the RF tires currently on the car to make sure that the new rim with new tire mounted on it would fit in the spare tire well. Guess what. The existing 195/55/16 RF measures 24" in diameter and 8" wide. The spare tire well is only 23" in diameter. There isn't even enough room in the rear cargo area for a regular tire to lay down in it. I do not like the idea of a plug repair and compressor to fix a flat on the side of the road mainly because my wife uses it 90% of the time and she would have no clue as to fixing a flat on the side of the road. As some of you may know, the donut will not fit on the front of an S model so if you have a front flat you must first put the donut on the rear and then take the good rear tire and put it on the front to replace the front flat tire. What a pain. I would say that 75% of Mini owners to not like the hard ride and excessive noise the RF tires produce. Does anyone have an easy fix or solutions to this dilemma?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
kidziti
3rd Gear
I do not like the idea of a plug repair and compressor to fix a flat on the side of the road mainly because my wife uses it 90% of the time and she would have no clue as to fixing a flat on the side of the road.
That sort of screams out run-flats to me as the answer. In fact, I'd say that in your case, run-flats may be the best option. If your wife has no clue how to fix a flat on the side of the road, neither do I think she'd find changing a tire (or two in the case of a front flat) much more agreeable.

That said, I am moving solidly away from runflats AND spares. I bought the ContiComfort compressor, a plug repair kit and pliers to pull out any offending nails. Seems to me that replugging a tire is easier than taking it off and installing a spare anyways (and certainly easier than rotating the tires as well in the event of a front flat).

That plus MiNi roadside assistance and AAA in case the tire is unrepairable - I just don't see the point of ruining the enjoyment of the car by condemning the ride to harsh runflats for an episode that may never even happen. And if it does? There are other options!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Worst case, doesn't your insurance provide road side assistance? I've witnessed first hand some of them coming out to just patch a tire, or to put the spare on.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
tjkenny15
1st Gear
Honestly Fix-a-Flat has done me well on many occasions. I think this would call for a simple side of the road fix in a hurry. This way you can use a non-rf and fix it once at the shop.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 PM
SouthernMAMINIs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tjkenny15
Honestly Fix-a-Flat has done me well on many occasions. I think this would call for a simple side of the road fix in a hurry. This way you can use a non-rf and fix it once at the shop.
Of course if you use fix-a-flat you will damage and need to replace the tire pressure sensor...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SouthernMAMINIs
Of course if you use fix-a-flat you will damage and need to replace the tire pressure sensor...

Yes, and that's $90 or more plus tax is you buy one at the dealership. Good God!

The wife does have emergency roadside assistance so I'm going to see if I can convince her that she has alternatives. I have an emergency compressor that plugs into the lighter, pliers and can buy a plugging kit. Can even throw in a can of fix-a-flat. Sheesh, how many options can I provide in order to convince her to loose the RF's.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Got my first screw on the RF yesterday on my way to work. Found a shop to plug it for me. Once its time, I'm ditching them.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Tell your wife immediately to drive to a repair shop if the low tire pressure light comes on. It usually takes a while to lose a lot of air.

If the tire's already flat or really low, use the compressor to fill it up and immediately get the tire fixed or go home as a last resort--even if she has to stop to refill the tire.

This is what I have done.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Wifey is the primary driver, sounds like the Rock Flats are the best option, (for your peace of mind).

For my Wife's 330i, I dumped the Rock Flats as soon as they wore out with regular tires. She has AAA, and only drives the car in town. So I never worry about her having an issue.

I did the same thing for my MINI. Dumped the Rock Flats, and went with regular tires. But I keep the a slime kit and pump in the boot. For both vehicles, it such a better ride with regular tires.

On the 330i, we did get a nail in the tire, and they were able to plug it. Yes, you can put a plug in Rock Flats.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 AM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
OK, looks like I have convinced the wife to go with non-RF's. Told her she could call her emergency roadside service carrier first if she has a flat and I'm not there. Secondly, I told her I would put a compressor, dynaplug kit and pair of pliers in the spare tire well. Lastly I said I would throw in a can of fix-a-flat as a last resort. She seems satisfied and I believe she can handle a flat tire situation, should one even happen, with the options I have provided. I think she dislikes the RF's just about as much as I do.

So moving on with the plan, I have decided to go with the Kumho Ecsta 4x's. From reading a number of forum posts and threads it appears that they get the most positive reviews. The stock tires are 195/55R/16 but I was contemplating going to 205/55R/16's. Seems like I read somewhere on a forum post that the 205's will fit a 2010 Clubman S and comfortably clear the wheel wells and in addition provide a little softer ride than the 195's. If there is a tire expert out there reading this post, can you tell me if there is some if any merit to that claim? Please feel free to relay any ideas or experiences on this matter.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
205/55R/16's will work fine.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Been running 205/55/16 for 85k miles with no problems. The sidewalls will be softer than RFT and slightly taller than the stock size, so they should feel "softer".

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 AM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Been running 205/55/16 for 85k miles with no problems. The sidewalls will be softer than RFT and slightly taller than the stock size, so they should feel "softer".

85K!?! That's on the same set of tires? What brand and model are you running? 40K seems to be the top in on tires I reviewed.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whiteoaks

85K!?! That's on the same set of tires? What brand and model are you running? 40K seems to be the top in on tires I reviewed.
No, that has been three different sets of tires. All of them have been the same size.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Well yesterday was the big day. The new Kuhmo's came in and were installed. MAN, what a difference. So quiet my wife and I don't have to yell a one another anymore and the ride is so smooth you would think we were riding in a different car. No issues to speak of with the pressure sensing valves. The alarm went off a couple of times yesterday but nothing today. Well worth the money spent. I notice the cars side to side movement is not quite as sensitive when I shift the steering wheel back and forth and that's fine with me. Now I just hope that last a long time and stay smooth and quiet. Time will tell but for now I am very satisfied.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Johnruo
1st Gear
The Mini Spare would fit in the back of a Countryman. [5" THICK AND 22" WIDE from Detroit Tuned at 118.00 - http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/?categoryID=137.
around town i have a pump with slime and plug kit - on the road take the spare.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:41 AM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Clubman s spare tire

Originally Posted by Johnruo
The Mini Spare would fit in the back of a Countryman. [5" THICK AND 22" WIDE from Detroit Tuned at 118.00 - http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/?categoryID=137.
around town i have a pump with slime and plug kit - on the road take the spare.

Yes, you can also fit a donut in spare well of a Clubman S which is 23" in diameter. I am not familiar with the Countryman but I would suspect they are similar. The problem is that a donut will not fit over the front brake caliper assembly on the S models. If you have a flat on the front you have to change a rear tire out to the donut and then put the rear tire and rim on the front to remove the problem flat tire on the front. When I ordered the standard rim to use as a spare for a flat tire in any tire position, I was trying to get away from the double tire change. Luckily I was able to cancel the order for the rim and have now put an emergency compressor, dyna plug kit and pair of pliers in the spare compartment for use if the situation ever becomes necessary. We also have emergency road service so think we have the bases covered.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
why not use a wheel that will clear the front brakes and a smaller tire that will fit in the well?

scott

Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
just did a little looking on tirerack.com

on my cms all4, a 16" rim clears the front brakes, i know because i am running 16" winters

i can buy a 16" mini oem steel wheel from ecs tuning for about $100

if i mount a $99 yokohama s-drive 195/40R16 tire, the OD is 22.1" ... this is a summer tire

if i mount a $99 contiprocontact 195/45R16, the OD is 22.9" ... this is an all-season tire

scott

Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The All4 wheel has five lug bolts, The Clubman four lug bolts, the Countryman spare wouldn't fit.

Dave

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The All4 wheel has five lug bolts, The Clubman four lug bolts, the Countryman spare wouldn't fit.

Dave
true enough, but i was trying to give an example that i knew would work on my car

ecs tuning shows 3 steel wheels for your clubbie

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-C...els/OEM_Steel/

then it is just a matter of doing a little research on tirerack to find a tire with an OD to fit your well

scott