Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Which rotors to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Arly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of upgrading my rotors to Brembo. Stock size. I was wondering which is best Slotted or Drilled. I was looking for cast rotors with holes, but Brembo does not seem to offer this on the MINI. For track use, are slotted best? How about mostly street and some track?

Thanks,
Carl

Old 04-14-2004, 02:58 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope some folks in the know chime in, Andy, 'cause I want the scoop as well. I was thinking of getting Powerslot rotors and heard that they created a bit of a "rough" sound when braking. Anyone use these or have suggestions for me and Andy?

I have upgraded to Ferodo pads and want the next idea for an "affordable" upgrade that will help me on weekend DE's.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:36 PM
discodan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used to have Powerstops on my Nissan SE-R and they weren't bad at all in fact when i got them delivered and looked them over they actually were Brembos that Powerstop buys and drills per application. The one thing i can tell you is that if you over do it with them during their break-in period like i did they have a tendency to warp and that's what will cause the noise and vibrations through the wheel like i had. Also after about 10,000 miles the drilled holes developed stress cracks. After this experience, probably would recommend something like the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors they have the same benefits but seem to be less prone to cracking and warping than traditional cross-drilled rotors. i think Powerslot makes dimpled and slotted rotors now too. Selecting the right brake pads can help you a lot also. Hope that helps.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:20 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>I am thinking of upgrading my rotors to Brembo. Stock size. I was wondering which is best Slotted or Drilled. I was looking for cast rotors with holes, but Brembo does not seem to offer this on the MINI. For track use, are slotted best? How about mostly street and some track?

Carl,
Unless you are going for the big brake look there isn't really a good reason to go with Brembo brakes for mostly street driving. For stock size just get PowerSlot rotors and upgrade your brake pads and brake fluid.

Drilled are OK but more prone to cracking when overheated and stressed even if the holes are cast. For track only use, Slotted are the way to go in a stock size.

For more on rotors see
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ic=25839&3