Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

AP Brake kits question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:39 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if AP Brakes makes a kit for the MINI's? I tried searching around their site, but I was unsuccessful. Here is a link to their site...

AP Brakes

Old 04-14-2004, 05:26 PM
ftbt
2nd Gear
Yes. They do make kit for the MINI. I have them. See:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...c=24615&10

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + Unichip + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, X Drilled + Slotted Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Schroth Harness and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

2002 CVT Cooper LY/W + Sport + 17" S Lites & Pirelii Euforias + Clear Bra

Old 04-14-2004, 06:13 PM
Hunter
3rd Gear
Are these for everyday street use, or do they need to be rebuilt every spring and when they're dirty?

It's been a while, but when I was looking for brakes for my Quattro, I thought the only application that they had was for the "track."

Or was that just an Audi thing?

Old 04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are available for the MINI, and they are what I have on my car right now. They are street brakes as far as having dust boots etc., but they are huge calipers - in full four pot fashion.

The braking is great, and I like the pedal feel now that the pads are bedded in. They definitely reduced the fade on track.

There are two issues I have with them. They require a spacer for most wheels to clearance the caliper. This is an issue with many of the big brake kits. The other issue is that the pad size is specific to the caliper, making it expensive to get good compounds. There is a nice street compound that comes with it, and there is another race compound that can be ordered - but they run $295!

Other than those two issues, I have been very happy with the performance. I'd say they are on par with the Stoptech or Brembos, and cost significantly less than the Brembos (I have them for $1500).

As long as you can live with the cost of the race pads, and the limit of wheel selection without spacers, I wouldn't have a problem recommending them.

Here's a pic of them on the car:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
ftbt
2nd Gear
"They require a spacer for most wheels to clearance the caliper."

They fit absolutely fine -w- the 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's -w- a 45 mm offset ... about a 1/4" to spare from the calipers.

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + Unichip + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, X Drilled + Slotted Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Schroth Harness and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:01 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. So Randy, you have the AP brake kits for $1500? That is a little less than the brembo. At this point I have stock rims on my cooper S. but looking to upgrade.

As for the AP, do you recommend them? How is brake wear? I understand that the BMW brakes wear a bit faster than anything else out there due to the soft compound. I am looking into the AP's based on their performance with Formula One. I know most of the cars run AP. Understandably that kit is probably not on the market for the normal consumer, but I assume the technology is applied to their retail kits.

However at $245 for pads... thats a little steep if they have to be replaced often. Also, how is the assembly? Difficult?

Old 04-15-2004, 12:04 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I took a look at your pics FTBT... They look great. This is the AP line? Love those giant drilled rotors!! That is a must have. Really aggresive looking!!!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 04:49 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Thanks for the info. So Randy, you have the AP brake kits for $1500? That is a little less than the brembo. At this point I have stock rims on my cooper S. but looking to upgrade.
>>
>>As for the AP, do you recommend them? How is brake wear? I understand that the BMW brakes wear a bit faster than anything else out there due to the soft compound. I am looking into the AP's based on their performance with Formula One. I know most of the cars run AP. Understandably that kit is probably not on the market for the normal consumer, but I assume the technology is applied to their retail kits.
>>
>>However at $245 for pads... thats a little steep if they have to be replaced often. Also, how is the assembly? Difficult?

The assembly is a breeze - these calipers were actually made for the MINI, so they bolt right on. The only issue, and as I said, it isn't with all wheels, is the clearance. They will not fit with stock wheels without spacers, and some of the more common aftermarket wheels have a tough time too (Rota, Kosei, etc.).

The race pads are $295, but the street pads I believe are quite a bit less - I need to get a price for them. I would definitely recommend them, as long as you are OK with the wheel issue. The pads are wearing great - I have done several track days, an autocross, and a few thousand miles of street driving and they look brand new. The rotor wear can be seen in the pics - they haven't even worn off the plating. The race pads would probably be more aggressive however.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Thanks for the info Randy. So with the stock rims you can add spacers and the brake kit will fit? What effect does that have with the handling and wear on the suspension? Anything? I am so clueless when it comes to suspension issues. Thanks for your info. I'm really looking forward to upgrading the brake system.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:10 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
One more question Randy-

Which is better in terms of performance, slotted rotors or drilled? I personally like the drilled rotors better in terms of looks, but I understand there may be some cracking / splitting after some miles?

Old 05-19-2004, 01:50 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
What size disc's are they?

Can you fit larger discs on the rear using the standard calipers?

Thanks.:smile:

Old 05-19-2004, 05:42 PM
ftbt
2nd Gear
"Can you fit larger discs on the rear using the standard calipers?"

I doubt it, unless they are the same thickness as the OEM discs. Stillen/Brake Pros (AP Racing's Distributor) messed up and gave me the wrong discs for the rear. Essentially, they gave me 2 sets of front discs. We couldn't fit the front discs on the rear calipers. The front discs were way too thick to even fit into the rear caliper.

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + UNICHIP + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, XDrilled Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Cobra Daytona Seats + Schroth Harness and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

Old 05-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Can you fit larger discs on the rear using the standard calipers?

If you did, you'd need to space the caliper out to accomodate larger diameter rotors.

Alex

Old 05-20-2004, 07:25 AM
WorldChallenge#7
2nd Gear
For what its worth, I also have the AP brake kit in front, last years version with the silver calipers as opposed to the red ones in the newer kit. With my 17" Kosei's I am running a 10mm spacer to clear the rim. I plan on selling my rims to get something that clears the caliper better, 5mm spacer would not be too bad but the 10 really pushes the wheel out to the point where it is flush with the fender. Also for those interested Turner sells Zimmerman rear rotors that are drilled, direct stock replacements that will match the AP ones in front and they are only $99. a pair.
Anyone know what rims will clear the bigger calipers??? I was hoping to go to something like the SSR's or Volk's

Old 05-20-2004, 05:55 PM
ftbt
2nd Gear

"Anyone know what rims will clear the bigger calipers??? I was hoping to go to something like the SSR's or Volk's."

I have 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's -w- a 45 mm offset. I was going to go with StopTechs and the StopTech and Team Dynamics people huddled and determined that wheels would fit over the calipers without spacers. As it turned out, when I was ready to go with the BBK, the StopTechs were on back order, so I went with the AP's instead. Plenty of room with the AP's ... about a 1/4" from the caliper to the back of the wheel.

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + UNICHIP + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, XDrilled Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Cobra Daytona Seats + Schroth Harness and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

Old 05-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>
>>"Anyone know what rims will clear the bigger calipers??? I was hoping to go to something like the SSR's or Volk's."
>>

SSR GT7 will fit 17x7.5 et 42 over the AP w/o spacers!

Alex

Old 06-29-2004, 10:22 AM
westbrother
1st Gear
what 17x7 wheels will fit over the stop tech kit?

what 17x7 wheels will fit over the stop tech kit?

Old 06-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Another name I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion is TCE Performance. TCE recently joined the site as a sponsor and has developed a very price effective Wilwood big brake kit. Here is the original announcement when they joined as well as a link to the vendor announcement Todd (TCE) made about the kits. Todd has been doing brake kit development work for for a long time and placed 1st in class at the 2004 Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Also, Todd has been working on a 16" kit so be sure to visit the TCE Performance web site and/or give Todd a call at (480) 967-7901. Here are some pictures of the 16" kit:

Be sure to give Todd a call. Their pricing and performance should provide you with some alternatives.

Mark

Last edited by Mark; 06-30-2004 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
One more question Randy-

Which is better in terms of performance, slotted rotors or drilled? I personally like the drilled rotors better in terms of looks, but I understand there may be some cracking / splitting after some miles?
Slotted rotors are stronger, more reliable and better performers overall than drilled rotors (even with cast holes). The drilled rotors can be cheaper but reduce surface area for stopping, may wear the brake pad a bit more and may overheat more easily risking stress cracks between holes over time.

Drilled holes and dimples in rotors are there for looks primarily so if you are looking for autocross and track use you're better off with the slotted rotors (higher cost though ).

TCE big brake kits are a good option for those looking for brakes to use but still use stock 16" and 17" rims. Rough cost for a front brake kit is in the $1100 range. Well designed and great stopping power, great selection of various brake pads,

The 16" wheel design calls for a slightly smaller caliper rotor combo than the 17" wheel brake kit. Both perform well. It's just a matter of your needs for wheel size. Certainly worth considering.

Last edited by minihune; 06-29-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:23 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LMB
What size disc's are they?

Can you fit larger discs on the rear using the standard calipers?

Thanks.:smile:
if you put larger rotors on the rear, without getting new calipers, or at least new pads that fit the new rotor; you risk pad overhang as the pads wear, this can cause failed brakes and/or premature wearing of the rotors. especially if you move the calipers out (radially) to accomodate the larger dia rotor.
plus you run the risk of upsetting the braking bias-making the car prone to rear wheel lock-up (this is a VERY bad thing for handling)

Old 06-30-2004, 06:32 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the support guys.

I've worked at length to come up with some alternatives to the current wheel fit problem. The latest, the 12.2 DP set up has proven to fit and clear the 16s of the S as hoped. I hope to test them in some other wheels as I have donors to allow me!

Currently the prototype package is sitting in the shop as the test car was a bit short on funds to finalize the deal. Still, aside from not having the bracket anodized yet this one's done and looking for a home and is in COMPLETE form. I have more of the TCE radial brackets in the works for inventory in anticipation of a rousing success of the package.

While a bit more $ than the larger TCE pacakge, this is due to the choice of caliper and mounting style. The FULLY BOOTED DynaPro calipers are simply more costly. But we don't offer any $250 sets of pads either....yes, pad choice is a bit more limited than the larger kits but we still have affordable options.

All that being said, how about this; complete kit above, with rotor finish of your choice, shipped (gups) for $1000. That's over $300 off, free holes or slots, etc. It's a ONE OFF DEAL. The prototype only, when it's gone, that's it, back to $1269. I had hoped to put this on a local car here in Phoenix but there's been no input from anyone so it's open to everyone. In return I want some feedback and pics etc. to share with everyone.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Minihune and Todd are completely correct.

The TCE 12.2 Dynapro kit is much more effective in many ways to a 13in kit. I had stock 11.9in rotors on my SVT focus and many people said those were overkill for a 2700lb car. They worked exceptionally for me and you can search the Autox/RoadRacing section of Focaljet to see how many owners pound them at the track and have no worries. Many companies are offering 13in huge brake kits for extreme prices, but as they may look nice they are more than overkill even for people who track their cars a few times a year.

Remember also the TCE kit DOES NOT NEED SPACERS. Having to upgrade to 17in wheels for most big brake kits is an even bigger expense, especially if you then push to get lightweight 17's compared to 16in wheels.

I'm an avid autocrosser and i've just started doing track days with my MCS. I use a set of 16in Rota's for Autox and track because they are inexpensive and lightweight. Don't forget that 16in tires are cheaper also. In talking with Todd we have yet to get definite numbers but i can imagine the 12.2 kit is considerably lighter than a 13in kit and maybe even stock. When your talking about rotational mass weight is a BIG deal. Being able to keep that and go to much more capable brakes than the stock MINI brakes will be very helpful and cost effective.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:01 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
One other quick note or PLUS, is that the 12.2 DP kit does NOT require you change out your lug bolts. Thus saving you about $100.

The larger kits do however as do all kits using spacers.

Old 07-02-2004, 04:58 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Sold!

Originally Posted by toddtce
Thanks for the support guys.

I've worked at length to come up with some alternatives to the current wheel fit problem. The latest, the 12.2 DP set up has proven to fit and clear the 16s of the S as hoped. I hope to test them in some other wheels as I have donors to allow me!

Currently the prototype package is sitting in the shop as the test car was a bit short on funds to finalize the deal. Still, aside from not having the bracket anodized yet this one's done and looking for a home and is in COMPLETE form. I have more of the TCE radial brackets in the works for inventory in anticipation of a rousing success of the package.

While a bit more $ than the larger TCE pacakge, this is due to the choice of caliper and mounting style. The FULLY BOOTED DynaPro calipers are simply more costly. But we don't offer any $250 sets of pads either....yes, pad choice is a bit more limited than the larger kits but we still have affordable options.

All that being said, how about this; complete kit above, with rotor finish of your choice, shipped (gups) for $1000. That's over $300 off, free holes or slots, etc. It's a ONE OFF DEAL. The prototype only, when it's gone, that's it, back to $1269. I had hoped to put this on a local car here in Phoenix but there's been no input from anyone so it's open to everyone. In return I want some feedback and pics etc. to share with everyone.
I took Todd up on his great offer....I can't believe no one else did, this guy really knows what he's doing. When the kit is installed I'll test fit it with my 16" 5-stars and 17" SSR-Cs (should be zero problem with the latter). I'll also post comments/impressions and pics.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:30 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Thanks and it shipped out today as promised. And it went 3 day instead of ground. I'll pick up the difference. Figured that Monday being a holiday you'd want it for next weekend.

I'll post more info on the future of the DP kits in the Vendor section tomorrow when I get it all worded correctly, KURVHUGR knows the details of this package but I'd rather make it a more formal post explaining the options.

Quick Reply: AP Brake kits question