Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Great Deal from Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
DarkenDioxen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Deal from Tire Rack

Hey everybody,

First of all I am not a paid representative for Tire Rack...but am willing to take bribes..err offers... if they are interested.

Finally getting some 17"s for the Clubman rims I bought at the tail end of last year, did some research looking for a decent tire, decent life expectancy and GOOD price, just today these showed up on Tire Rack: Sumitomo HTR A/S for $76 ea! They are labeled as Ultra HIgh Performance All season...which judging by our wintery spring in the Northeast might be a good idea. I had Sumitomos on my 328is and they were great, no issues at all, so I think it is a great deal.

Called up to talked to a rep about TPMS sensors, and received the usual stellar customer service, so I have new sensors on the way as well.

Anyhoo...if you need new shoes there are some good deals right now. Thanks to y'all for all the great info over the last year of Mini ownership.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Tirerack often have good deals and specials from time to time.

If you are shopping and considering Sumitomo tires check out-
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/alexs-...formance-guide

Alex has an entry about the HTR A/S P01 with an explanation of the differences of the W speed rated UHP all season version and the H or V speed rated HP all season version which was recently tested by Tirerack (with good results). Although they look similar from the outside they are unique. The W speed rated version comes in 17" while the V and H rated version comes in sizes in 15" and 16" for the MINI.

Tirerack HTR A/S P01 W rated test result-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=134

Tirerack HTR A/S P01 H or V rated test result-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=129

Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM
BRracing
Former Vendor
Looking for even better deals? PM ME! Im happy to price match and you can save on shipping!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TireRack definitely has some good deals. I recently picked up a set of Pirelli P Zero Neros in 205/45/17 for $79 each.

On another note, anyone know if Alex is still there? Tried leaving voicemail and email several days ago and haven't heard from him.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM
DarkenDioxen
1st Gear
Liking the sumotomos...feels like the Mini I bought! Those Ice and snow tires are a great tool but the are just no fun on the dry pavement. More importantly I got to put my new to me powder coated S-lites on...beefs up the look a little I think!

Thanks to NAS user WRNCHHD for the great deal!

Attached Thumbnails Great Deal from Tire Rack-mini-wheels-3-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear
Don't know if you ever got a hold of him tlr1000, but Alex is definitely still at Tire Rack. I just bought a set of wheels/tires from him Monday of last week.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
local shops

hey guys. I know tire rack has some great prices, but I own a small tire shop and we sell new tires. we're family owned and most of the time we can beat tire rack prices after shipping and installation fees for the exact same tires. Please take the time to visit your local businesses before you go out buying tires. You'll be giving your money to someone who will use it to pay local workers and benefit your community. Don't let internet shopping kill small business! even if you pay $40 more at a local shop you get the benefit of keeping money in your own community.

my $0.02

Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I'm in for the local shop and support! Please post your shop and directions to find you.
Does your shop do alignment for MINI ?

Cheers.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by aldito2
hey guys. I know tire rack has some great prices, but I own a small tire shop and we sell new tires. we're family owned and most of the time we can beat tire rack prices after shipping and installation fees for the exact same tires. Please take the time to visit your local businesses before you go out buying tires. You'll be giving your money to someone who will use it to pay local workers and benefit your community. Don't let internet shopping kill small business! even if you pay $40 more at a local shop you get the benefit of keeping money in your own community.

my $0.02
With my last set of tires (actually sitting at the LOCAL SHOP NOW..they get installed in the AM) I found a place that shipped then (from a local warehouse for free the next morning!!), and the local shop will do the install and an alignment!!
Plus the shop get to show me their stuff...and they might get future businessmen!! They are a local family owned shop that I would never have thought of dealing with for tires......
So I got a deal (actually beat tire-rack AND had free shipping), the local shops got a new customer!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
With my last set of tires (actually sitting at the LOCAL SHOP NOW..they get installed in the AM) I found a place that shipped then (from a local warehouse for free the next morning!!), and the local shop will do the install and an alignment!!
Plus the shop get to show me their stuff...and they might get future businessmen!! They are a local family owned shop that I would never have thought of dealing with for tires......
So I got a deal (actually beat tire-rack AND had free shipping), the local shops got a new customer!

awesome!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 AM
DarkenDioxen
1st Gear
Since I am apparently the Jerk on the thread that decided to try to save everyone $40 bucks by going to tire rack...let me just defend myself by saying that I get all my work done at local shops. (Seasonall in Henrietta NY is my Primary). I had the tires mounted and balanced and threw in an oil change all locally. I'm pretty sure the service side of it carries the most profit as well so maybe I'm not that bad.

Continue the hijack LOL. :-)

Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 AM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DarkenDioxen
Since I am apparently the Jerk on the thread that decided to try to save everyone $40 bucks by going to tire rack...let me just defend myself by saying that I get all my work done at local shops. (Seasonall in Henrietta NY is my Primary). I had the tires mounted and balanced and threw in an oil change all locally. I'm pretty sure the service side of it carries the most profit as well so maybe I'm not that bad.

Sorry I didn't mean to make you the bad guy. Obviously looking out for fellow MINI owners is applauded :-). Just mentioned small shop because owning one I do see the dent tire rack can sometimes out on certain sales. I have a vendetta against the rack lol. All others may enjoy it :-D

Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
DarkenDioxen
1st Gear
I was mostly kidding, and I do wish you and your business all the luck against the big faceless competition! I would definitely go in for a looksie at ANY local shop that had a Mini in front! (Especially a red Clubman!).

Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkenDioxen

Lol....i saved $2 a tire over tire-rack, plus $45 shipping!
but like anything, you have to shop around!
And i have a feeling the "local" shop gets many first time buyers in for tire mounting that would have gone to a chain/bigbox store....so getting on the tire-rack/tirebuyer.com prefered installer list is a good way to sell what independant shops sell best...SERVICE!!
My gut feeling is online tire places might be a pretty good lifeline for many shops, giving them a way to compete with the "bigboys". Sure, as some folks move to online, overall margins do drop, but some $$ is better than none if the person ends up at wallyworld....
lets face it...the online tire buyer is not looking for handholding, or instant tires....but a good deal in a couple of days in exchange for having done some research.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH

So, you gonna share this spiffy place you got such a deal from?

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.tirebuyer.com/
As I eluded to in my post...
it is actually the web sales arm of the company that wholesales tires to many shops (American Tire Distributors)....
Got the tires installed today, No issues!
Ordered them on a Holiday Friday PM, was "shipped" (aka loaded onto the truck Saturday), listed delivered on Monday afternoon. All over a Holiday weekend...Good-Friday and Easter!! Had them installed TODAY, Tuesday!!
I'm sure selection will vary by by region, and the website is not nearly as nice as tire-rack, but it worked for me.
One Business day shipping! was promised in 3-4 to either my house or a "preferred shop".

PS sorry to "hijack" a thread about a vendor giving a great deal/service, but I'm sure tire-rack may be better on some tires....I looked, and in MY case, I found a better overall deal elsewhere! But the MORAL of the story...At least look at the vendor (I always do, they provide GREAT service in general), you might find the deal you want, you might not, but give them a shot!
I just entered this thread cause the remark about local tire tire shops, and wanted to point out that even the local "Mom and Pop shops" can ACTUALLY use the internet to get more business by becoming preferred installers for some of these services....lets face it, how many folks have a mounting and balancing machine in their basement!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 04-02-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: PS line added