Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Patching OEM ContiProContact SSRs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM
CHMhead
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patching OEM ContiProContact SSRs?

Apparently I'm having too much fun in my new MCS.. I've managed to get a screw puncture in one of my run flats (ContiProContact SSR), right in the middle of the tire in the tread grove. The car is so new, I can't quite yet justify replacing the all run flats outright (but might down the road). Anyone have luck patching (plug plus internal patch) these tires? I've read that the construction of the ContiProContact SSRs makes it one of the few run flats that shouldn't be patched. It's holding tire pressure for now...

There are less than 1k miles on the car, so replacing just one tire wouldn't be so painful.. Patch or Replace?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Each tire Manufacturer has there own recommendations about repairing runflats vary. Some manufacturers specify what sort of damage to a run-flat can be repaired. For example, Goodyear recommends repair only if the damage is within the tires outside grooves and restricted to the tread. The company also specifies that plug of 1/4-inch in diameter be used, with a patch applied over it.
Many repair shops will refuse to repair run-flats. I would see what the tire maker recommends and/or go to a good repair center and see what they think.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Continental does not recommend any repair to or reuse of Continental SSR tires.

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/d..._repair_en.pdf

However, it can be safely repaired if you don't run on it while it is flat. Call around to see if anyone in your area will patch it.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM
u238
3rd Gear
The manufacturer might recommend against patching because they can't control the quality of the job. A properly applied patch in the middle of the tread won't be a problem, as long as you didn't use the run flat capability of your tire. Make sure you get the repair done properly: Dismount the tire from the rim and patch, not plug.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Generally the tire repair reccomendaions are the same for a runflat as a regular tire...
plug AND patch the center tread area, clear of the sidewall...about 1 inchfrom side...so ofc the "contouted part".
and DO NOT TRACK a repaired tire is a general reccomendation.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
The purpose of plugging AND patching is to prevent moisture from getting to the steel belts....then rust happens...and the tire can suddenly fail. The patch on the inside is to stop air from migrating out, or more problematicly, to between the belt+tread, leading to a blowout or possible tread seperation......
So unmount the tire, plug AND patch.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CHMhead
Apparently I'm having too much fun in my new MCS.. I've managed to get a screw puncture in one of my run flats (ContiProContact SSR), right in the middle of the tire in the tread grove. The car is so new, I can't quite yet justify replacing the all run flats outright (but might down the road). Anyone have luck patching (plug plus internal patch) these tires? I've read that the construction of the ContiProContact SSRs makes it one of the few run flats that shouldn't be patched. It's holding tire pressure for now...

There are less than 1k miles on the car, so replacing just one tire wouldn't be so painful.. Patch or Replace?
As long as the puncture is in the middle of the tread and not in/near the sidewall, it can be patched.

Call around the usual tier shops (google maps) - one of them will take the job for $15-20. Many will refuse to avoid messing with RFTs, but some will take the money. Ask to patch from inside and seal on the outside (more work and $$ for mounting and re-balancing, but worth it if you want to keep the tire for 3+ months).

Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I've driven thousands of miles on a runflat fixed with DYNAPLUG

quick easy DIY repair.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

btw wrt all the discussion about repairing runflats

in all cases that I'm familiar with the manufactures of 'speed rated' tires never recommend repairing them. If you do repair them, the method essentially does not matter as they no longer consider the tire to be 'speed rated'. For street use it is unlikely you'll have issues but you probably would be wise to not 'track' the tire.

From: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 04-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Boltfan
1st Gear
My car had same issue. Took it to the dealer and they wouldn't patch it. I took it to discount tire and they patched it no problem.