Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Gurus: EBC Redbox pads squeaky?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Gurus: EBC Redbox pads squeaky?

I just upgraded my R53's brakes to the R56 S calipers, with PowerSlot rotors and EBC red stuff pads. I even had the calipers powder coated red, which is probably visual overkill, but something I just wanted to do.

The car brakes insanely great, but there's squeaks and squeals during normal and even light braking that are getting on my nerves after about 4 hundred miles now. While braking heavily, the brakes are as silent as can be, but pulling up to a stop sign in town, or coming to a stop in a parking lot makes the squeaks and squeals come out, embarrassingly so. (It says, "Hi guys! Look at my awesome new red brakes on my car; squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak").

Maybe I need to redo the bed-in procedure again. That may help.

I am also wondering if I have put on pads that are just too aggressive for normal daily driving and street use, and are more for hard driving/track use. I want a pad that is aggressive like this one, but I am getting sick of the squealing.

The rotors are installed properly, by the way. With the Powerslot rotors, they have stickers on them, that tell you "Front/Right", etc., just so you know.

Again, the brakes perform amazingly; they're just squeaky.

Any comments? Brake gurus please chime in.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the setup does look really good.

Did you bed the pads in properly? Last time I ran EBC Redstuff, the squealed a lot until that bed-in coating was worn away. Since you've had them on for this long, It's doubtful that this is the issue, but worth a shot. Did you add enough anti-squeal grease to the backing of the pads?

If that doesn't work, you may just want to go to the EBC Greenstuff pads or maybe Hawk HPS. The Greenstuff pads have a lot of organic material so they won't last as long and will dust more, but will act more like the stock pads and squeal less.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I've been running redstuff for a while and have put them on for others

nary a squeal around here . . .

road use

assorted rotors

Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Got about 2000 miles since red stuff pads were installed and absolutely no noise whatsoever, very happy with them. If memory serves, there was mention on the instruction page of the possibility of squealing noises for a few hundred miles after instillation and break in which MAY be normal.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We've sold a ton of EBC Redstuff pads with no issues. But they do take some time to bed in, especially on smooth new rotors. I suggest you keep driving and they will get better.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be going with EBC Redstuff pads and Way's rotors when my OEM pads die. I do like the powder coated calipers. Just had mine done to color match The Dread Pirate's chili redness. I didn't plan on the complete rebuilds needed (ouch!!):

Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM
heresmymind
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebc may squeek (red) up to 1000 miles. If you red the instructions they do not need a brake in because of the stuff they already put on the pad, you can do one if you change rotors or resurface them.

-B