Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Time For Tires Again And I'd Like Your Help ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Time For Tires Again And I'd Like Your Help ...

When I first got my MINI I ditched the runcraps and got a set of Falken Ziex ZE-912. I liked them, but when they wore out I got a set of Nitto NeoGens, which I also liked, but they wore out fast, were never particularly good in the rain and got downright dangerous in the rain after 20K miles. They did, however, handle fantastic.

I run General ArcticMax's in the winter, so I don't really need an all season tire, but have used them in case I got caught in an early or late snowfall. I'm willing to try a summer tire.

I'm looking for a 215/45/17 that is quiet, handles great and is good in the rain. Price is a bit of an issue, so I was considering the General G-MAX AS-03 at $100 each.

Also saw these: Cooper Zeon RS3-S and these Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105

Any thoughts on these?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks !

Dean.

Last edited by reelsmith.; 05-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conti DWS are very good you may want to take a look at them, I have over 20K on mine, no issues at all

Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like you, I also do crazy research before buying tires. My first set was the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Some of the best tires I've ever had, a bit noisy, bad wear rating, but handled like a dream. Then I had a set of Hankook Evo V12 for my GP since the Star Specs don't come in the 18" size I want. They didn't grip as great as the Star Specs, but they were adequate once warmed up. I miss the handling feeling of the Star Specs which is why I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

At the price range you're looking at the Continentals DWS are a good choice I've heard. They are great on the street but not so good on the track. The Hankook Evo V12 may also be a good choice, but if you have the money, get the Pilot Super Sports.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Like you, I also do crazy research before buying tires.

Good luck!
I think I do too much research ...which can be a bad thing.

There are a lot of stellar reviews of the DWS out there ...and mixed in are some really awful reviews. But, which are real and which are plants?

That's why I come here. I'm not sure I can trust TireRack or DiscountTire reviews.

Actually, it was this Hankook I was looking at: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Cheaper than the H105 and more highly rated (supposedly).

Dean.

Last edited by reelsmith.; 05-23-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
I think I do too much research ...which can be a bad thing.

There are a lot of stellar reviews of the DWS out there ...and mixed in are some really awful reviews. But, which are real and which are plants?

That's why I come here. I'm not sure I can trust TireRack or DiscountTire reviews.

Dean.
Based on the 2 weeks worth of research I've read up on DWS. I believe they are good tires on the street. Not for regular Track/Autocross use. If given the option between DWS and EVO V12. I'd probably go with the EVO V12 because I've had experience with them, and they are pretty reliable tires (as in not much complains about them online).

Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Let me add, I also would not use my DWS for autocross or track, I have other tires for that as well as Winter tires. I have had at least 6 sets of tires on my car, so far I like these the best

Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Like everyone else has stated, Conti DWS. I have run 2 sets on my MINI and love them. Excellent all around all season tire. Quiet, smooth, good traction in the snow and you can get some miles out of them.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Braminator
Like everyone else has stated, Conti DWS. I have run 2 sets on my MINI and love them. Excellent all around all season tire. Quiet, smooth, good traction in the snow and you can get some miles out of them.
Thanks.

Do they handle really well?

That's what I loved at my Nitto's. I push them pretty hard.

Dean.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I would say they are excellent in the rain, and above average handling, but remember they are an all season tire, if you drive 9/10ths most of the time on the street, these may not be for you

Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NightFlyR
Iif you drive 9/10ths most of the time on the street, these may not be for you
Yes they handle well and I just moved from the NE PA/Ny area and they did very well in snow. I never once felt like I needed a dedicated snow tire. they are good in the rain as well.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you tend to really push on your tires, I would look more at the summer tires than the all season. Conti makes the DW, which is a more aggressive, summer version of the DWS. I liked the handling of the DW better than the DWS. Of course, the tread life is about half.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Of the tires you have listed....I think you MIGHT be disappointed....if you drive as hard as it sounds......

The NITTO NEO-GEN is stiff enough, it is a pretty good auto-x tire, especially when worn...

But the ones you listed all have pretty soft sidewalls...they generally are slanted more towards comfort than max performance....(not sure on the cooper, but coopers generally have softer sidewalls)
I have the predecessor to the General tire you have listed...nice tire for the $$, but still soft sidewalls for a UHP....but was still very popular with the BMW crowed looking for a decent tire for low $$.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+ 1 on the DSW low noise, comfortable and good for snow GREAT in the rain, I pushed the in the bends and they performed very well but I can not compare them to all season"s since I have never had them on any of my cars but so far I have about 5 or 6 k on them and I love them

Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Of the tires you have listed....I think you MIGHT be disappointed....if you drive as hard as it sounds......

The NITTO NEO-GEN is stiff enough, it is a pretty good auto-x tire, especially when worn...

But the ones you listed all have pretty soft sidewalls...they generally are slanted more towards comfort than max performance....(not sure on the cooper, but coopers generally have softer sidewalls)
I have the predecessor to the General tire you have listed...nice tire for the $$, but still soft sidewalls for a UHP....but was still very popular with the BMW crowed looking for a decent tire for low $$.
Thanks.

I definitely do not want a soft sidewall tire.

My Nittos (on clean, dry roads) are wonderful, especially now that they are worn. I guess this is why race cars use tires with little to no tread.

Money is tight, so another set of Nittos would be an okay choice. Too bad I can't try them all on, like buying a pair of shoes.

Just about everything I can find on the Coopers is positive, including everything searched here on NAM. Quiet, grip well (wet or dry), stiff sidewalls, 500AA, 40K mileage warranty, Road & Track, Motor Trend and Consumer Reports all like them (not sure CR are tire pros though) and at $115 each, free shipping + an $80 rebate, they may be the way I go. Plus, my mechanic can get them, will match the price and gives me a discount on mounting when he sells the tires. So, I can shop local. Still undecided, but the Copper is my first choice at the moment.

Anybody have the Cooper RS3-A and not like them?

Dean.

Last edited by reelsmith.; 05-24-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Sumitomo HTR Z III's on my MINI. They handle great, but the ride is still a bit rough. If you're just looking at handling, these are a great value ($83 each at Tirerack plus some sort of promo gift card).

Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
I have Sumitomo HTR Z III's on my MINI. They handle great, but the ride is still a bit rough. If you're just looking at handling, these are a great value ($83 each at Tirerack plus some sort of promo gift card).
Handling is very important, but so are noise and how they run in the rain. It would be nice if they lasted longer than 20K miles and didn't cost a fortune.

I want it all !

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reelsmith.

Handling is very important, but so are noise and how they run in the rain. It would be nice if they lasted longer than 20K miles and didn't cost a fortune.

I want it all !
I haven't noticed any more noise than usual with the MINI. So far I only have about 10K miles on ten so I can't speak to longevity but as for rain I used them during a rainy track day and they held up great.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
tremperj
4th Gear
Instead of the more All-Season oriented DWS, I'd suggest the Continental DW. Less snow and cold performance, but amazing rain and warm weather performance. Also really high ratings from C&D:

Car & Driver

Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Had them on my MCS and thought they were great. I did get stuck in a freak snowstorm in october with them and thought I was going to die....seriously. Was the longest 5 miles home that I have ever driven. But obviously they aren't made for snow or those temperatures.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Hankook V 12 Evo's have a great rebate from Discount Tire & The Tire Rack

Its an $80 rebate, so look into it before its gone !

Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
I'm confused, you said you have a winter tire set, so why are you looking at AS tires (its rhetorical, I read the first post...for piece of mind)? I would go straight for a summer tire and have loads of fun.

Skip the cheap tires and get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by yetti96
I'm confused, you said you have a winter tire set, so why are you looking at AS tires (its rhetorical, I read the first post...for piece of mind)? I would go straight for a summer tire and have loads of fun.

Skip the cheap tires and get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
I'm still thinking about summer tires, but it would mean I would have to put my snows on a lot earlier and take them off later ...which means an extra 3 months of boring driving. I generally don't put on my snows until the first snow, which is often in late December and take them off in late March. I've run summer tires on 35 - 40 degree days in the rain ...and it is no fun. That can hapen here as early as September.

Thanks for all the help. Lots to think about.

Edit: Just spoke with DiscountTire, they think the Cooper RS3-A verses the Conti DWS is a toss up. No preference. Between now and Monday not only is there the $75 rebate from Cooper, but there is a $70 rebate from DiscountTire. That's $315 for a set of 4 with free shipping. Pretty compelling. I've PM'd a few NAM members that have the Coopers. Hoping to hear back.

Dean.

Last edited by reelsmith.; 05-24-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
My thanks to the two helpful NAM members who got back to me about their tires.

Both had 16K+ miles on their tires and nothing but good things to say. So, I've ordered a set.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'll report back after 1,000+ miles.

Dean.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Late to the discussion here but I agree with putting summer tires on. I have the factory Dunlop summer tires on oem wheels and then extreme performance summer Dunlop ZII's on enkei wheels for autocross. In between autocross events I have a hard time switching back because the grip and fun factor is amazing. I can't imagine having an all season...

Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM
mini44
4th Gear
What did you go with?

Quick Reply: Time For Tires Again And I'd Like Your Help ...