Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Track Day Wheels, Tires and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Agreed. All Volks require center rings and I run hubcentric rings at the track with no issues.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Why do you feel wheels without centering rings are better?

The Enkei wheels I have and have had all came with metal rings which were never a problem. I know some wheels come with plastic rings which can melt when over heated on the track which would not be good. Or are there other problems with them?
Yes, I do.
I am admittedly biased against centering rings as well as spacers, though have run both in the past. Here is why.

When I was younger and budget constrained, I bought a set of new track 17x8.5 wheels for my then E36M3. It was a great deal that required 15mm spacers to fit. Although wheels were perfectly round and brand new, after 3 failed tire balancing attempts by two reputable tire installers, they still shook between 65-80mph. Near-ruined a track weekend. The second guy volunteered to balance them with the spacers attached, and low and behold, finally balanced out the vibration. I marked the wheels and spacers, until the marks wore off over the course of the track/autoX season. That winter I sold the wheels and bought a set with proper offset. Lesson learned.

Then there was the time I got a set of cheapo winter wheels from TireRack that came with *gulp* plastic centering rings. One of them went in crooked and got permanently distorted during initial installation. Had to wait for a replacement to arrive before I could install them on the car. My fault - I didn't do my homework on those wheels. eBay-ed them as soon as I could.

Ever since, I steer towards the simplest possible wheel setup: no spacers (unless unavoidable), and absolutely no centering rings.

YMMV,
a