Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Advice Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
kingbc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed Please

I picked up a set of wheels second hand and should have done a more thorough examination before buying them. Now that I'm about to get some tires mounted on them I've noticed that two of them have some damage on the outer lips. Visually I'm not concerned as wheels get banged up anyhow and I don't see running these for more than a year or two anyhow. The question is; should I bother getting these fixed before mounting tires or will they balance fine as they are?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Bill

Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
IF they hold air you should be ok. I would have them fixed or go back to the seller if you can.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 PM
kingbc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator
IF they hold air you should be ok. I would have them fixed or go back to the seller if you can.

I've been sitting on them for almost a year, so i'm an owner at this point. I'll see what Discount has to say when I bring them in.

Thanks for the input.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I would suggest getting an estimate on repair of both wheels before mounting tires.

see
http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
check for a local rep
http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/locator.html

Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a very slight bend in one of my stock wheels. It was so small that the onlly way to see that the wheel was bent was whie it was spining on the balancing machine. We could never get that wheel to balance. I would also suggest you look into getting them fixed before mounting.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kingbc
I picked up a set of wheels second hand and should have done a more thorough examination before buying them. Now that I'm about to get some tires mounted on them I've noticed that two of them have some damage on the outer lips. Visually I'm not concerned as wheels get banged up anyhow and I don't see running these for more than a year or two anyhow. The question is; should I bother getting these fixed before mounting tires or will they balance fine as they are?

-Bill
Bill,
I would worry about ability to balance them. Period.

I've done my share of wheel bending (NYC roads), and the way you know you bent the wheel before getting out of the car is from the wheel vibration. Looking at your pics, wheel #1 is very likely to shake badly that no amount of weights will counter-balance.

Fixing will run you $200-300, plus shipping.
It may be cheaper to find another 1 or 2 wheels of the same design, and buy them off eBay. Plenty of wheel repair shops sell their wares there now at far cheaper prices than it would cost you to fix your bent wheels - go figure.

Sorry about the bad news,

a