Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors?

Ok so my steering wheel is shaking pretty bad while braking at speeds of 75 mph ect. just had scheduled break service 2 months ago, brought car back breaks felt soft and was told service bulletin for abs car reflashed. Still soft now shake my first guess is overheating rotors.

Any ideas suggestions?
dealer says breaks with in specs.

2012 roadster non-s daily driver (110 daily) , highway" spirited " driving.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM
elvis cole
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
shaky brakes

It's been my personal experience that both brake pads and rotors MUST be replaced at the same time. The wear together (like an old married couple) and just try replacing one of them with a stranger!! My experience came from a non-Mini shop...I took it to the dealer who re-did the job properly....everything is butter smooth at all speeds.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elvis cole
It's been my personal experience that both brake pads and rotors MUST be replaced at the same time. The wear together (like an old married couple) and just try replacing one of them with a stranger!! My experience came from a non-Mini shop...I took it to the dealer who re-did the job properly....everything is butter smooth at all speeds.
agree!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I have consistently gone thru 2 sets of pads to one set of rotors on my MINIs since 2002; and have recommended same to others that I do brake work for with zero complaints.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replace pads and rotors at the same time

I just purchased a 2013 Paceman S and was told by the dealer that both the rotors and pads needed to be replaced at the same time when the pads have worn - at a cost of about $900 per axle. I have never heard that before. I have never had rotors replaced in all the cars I have owned. I have heard of "turning" rotors to make sure they are not out of round - but never replacing them.

David

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by HamsterDR
I just purchased a 2013 Paceman S and was told by the dealer that both the rotors and pads needed to be replaced at the same time when the pads have worn - at a cost of about $900 per axle. I have never heard that before. I have never had rotors replaced in all the cars I have owned. I have heard of "turning" rotors to make sure they are not out of round - but never replacing them.

David
It doesn't cost $900 per axle to replace the MINI pads and rotors.
Go to an independent shop and get an estimate, better yet, buy the rotors and pads you want and just pay the shop for labor.

Pads and rotors can wear out together, as a result it is very common to replace both pads and rotors. But if your rotors are hardly worn and there have not been that many miles driven it is possible to replace pads only.

MINI rotors are not expensive, it's not worth turning the rotors. When replacing the rotors get ones that have a good finish and have painted hats so that rust risk is minimized.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
This is all excellent advice from everyone. Minihune and Elvis Cole in particular. I went through rotors like crazy in my R53. Every aftermarket set I bought warped quickly. When I went back to OEM, no problems at all. It shouldn't cost near $900 per axle either (unless you go to a dealership).

Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM
w35773
2nd Gear
$900/axle!!??!!

That's just stupid. Anyone who needs pads and rotors done, bring your MINI over to my house. I'll do 'em for only $800/axle while you wait!

Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
I just purchased a 2013 Paceman S and was told by the dealer that both the rotors and pads needed to be replaced at the same time when the pads have worn - at a cost of about $900 per axle.

very true - they say that and in the early MINI days even DID that. But for the last several years we've seen that dealers, when servicing brakes under 'maintenance' WILL replace pads and not rotors . . . .

big surprise here ..... don't trust what hear from the dealer. Point one: the folks on the sales floor seldom talk to the service department. Point two: a dealership general manager told me once, "I don't make anything selling cars. I make all my money in the service department."

Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by w35773
$900/axle!!??!!

That's just stupid. Anyone who needs pads and rotors done, bring your MINI over to my house. I'll do 'em for only $800/axle while you wait!
$600 here in NJ, in my driveway. For $700 I’ll teach anyone to do it. :

$1800 for a brake job seems simply outrageous since even if you work slow, it’s not going to take more than an hour on a lift with the right tools and having done one before.

///Rich

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

David
David,

You must have left and impression that you will be cutting checks without asking twice

The only surprise is why the dealer didn't throw-in new wheels and tires plus alignment in there as well. On the other hand, at $900 per axle, maybe they did.

As others said, there is no reason to replace slower wearing rotors together with faster wearing pads. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Measure the rate of wear of each part, and replace individually, as necessary.

Either way, $900/axles is a highway robbery.

I just ordered a set of pads and rotors for the front axle (last time around only pads) and pads-only for the rear axle. $210 in total for parts (would have been another +$60 for two rear rotors).

Figure 1.5 hours of labor per axle, including jacking the car up and bleeding the brakes (while you are there).

You do the math.

HTH,
a

Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Expensive Rotors and Pads

This was the finance manager trying to sell add-on maintenance. I understand that is the way these guys make a living, but I am irritated every time I experience it.

I bought at Mini of Las Vegas, and the actual sale process went very smoothly - no pressure - but then, I was using the Costco purchase program, so there was no negotiation about price ($900 above invoice).

The only problem so far is that the dealer doesn't know these Paceman models - mine was delivered without the First Aid Pouch, the Warning Triangle, and the tow bar. Their service manager said that they have received so few of the Paceman model that he has not had a chance to really examine the car. I had to discover these omissions myself by reading the Owners Manual. That was also when I discovered these cars don't come with the Jack or Wrench. They really don't expect you to have to change a tire with the run-flats....

David

Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
mine was delivered without the First Aid Pouch, the Warning Triangle, and

those items are European requirements ... do not apply to US deliveries

Old 07-08-2013, 03:12 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by capt_bj
mine was delivered without the first aid pouch, the warning triangle, and

those items are european requirements ... Do not apply to us deliveries
+ 1

Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 PM
boxer
2nd Gear
Isn't your 2012 MINI still under warranty?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Originally Posted by boxer
Isn't your 2012 MINI still under warranty?
Right now we are at just under 40k miles so i'm still under warranty. i also purchased the extended warrant & maintenance( this for me was the right decision given the amount of miles I put on daily)

What i was trying to figure out is how long do most drivers get out of their rotors? What are MINI spec for replacement rotors? Am I better off upgrading to JCW brake kit, as i have been told by local dealers they are strictly track but yet MINI says the system is standard (but silver) on all S-models.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
How long your brakes last have a lot to do with how you use them. Considering they are only needed to slow down your car you don't have to use them very much if you know when to decelerate as traffic slows or you need to stop.

The only time you have to use the brakes is if you live on a steep hill and there is a lot of traffic going down. That's hard to brakes.

Under normal use it's common to get 35,000 to 45,000+ miles on a set of brake pads, rotors usually last a little longer. Expect 2x more miles if you drive highway without lots of traffic, expect less miles if you carry more people all the time and drive in mostly urban areas.

Do you need a brake upgrade (beyond OEM) for street use and daily driving? Nope. You can upgrade brake pads and that usually is enough.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM
san diego motoring
2nd Gear
When I first received my delivered Clubman with 5 miles on the odometer...the service countdown indicated 28,000 left on the front brakes. If average is 35 to 45k....would it start reading 35k or does it just remain reading 28,000 remaining for a period of time?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
How long your brakes last have a lot to do with how you use them. Considering they are only needed to slow down your car you don't have to use them very much if you know when to decelerate as traffic slows or you need to stop.

The only time you have to use the brakes is if you live on a steep hill and there is a lot of traffic going down. That's hard to brakes.

Under normal use it's common to get 35,000 to 45,000+ miles on a set of brake pads, rotors usually last a little longer. Expect 2x more miles if you drive highway without lots of traffic, expect less miles if you carry more people all the time and drive in mostly urban areas.

Do you need a brake upgrade (beyond OEM) for street use and daily driving? Nope. You can upgrade brake pads and that usually is enough.
Thank you

Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Maybe so, but the manual is for US cars - and doesn't say these are not for US delivery. And, if that was the case, the dealer staff didn't know it - they are ordering these parts for me. The manual is clear that it includes discussion of all possible equipment options, and it doesn't distinguish between these options - but it seems strange to include descriptions of items that are not standard for the US market, when the manual is intended for the US market. I also discovered that I didn't get the tow hook (for the front bumper) - and I doubt if that is European only.

David

Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
you know better then us

please continue to fill us in on what we did not know

Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Maybe so, but the manual is for US cars - and doesn't say these are not for US delivery. And, if that was the case, the dealer staff didn't know it - they are ordering these parts for me. The manual is clear that it includes discussion of all possible equipment options, and it doesn't distinguish between these options - but it seems strange to include descriptions of items that are not standard for the US market, when the manual is intended for the US market. I also discovered that I didn't get the tow hook (for the front bumper) - and I doubt if that is European only.

David
Here is what the manual says. All accessories are shown for all countries, even if your country doesn't get. I hope this helps. Very cool that your dealer is getting for you though! I should have tried that

Rotors?-image-4156642227.jpg

Last edited by SuperGreg; 07-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
As far as I know the US MINIs did not come with the European kits. Maybe things have changed for the Paceman Model? These show up as euro only parts.

Here is the kits you were referring to: Fits all MINIs

European First Aid Kit - With Black Case Part 71107263439

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/71107263439/

For the warning triangles R50,R53, R56 Hardtop you have the screws that mount to the back lid, MINI Convertibles have it under the rear parcel deck with different mounts. Clubman in font of the loading sill, as well as the MINI Countryman / Paceman by the diagrams. Unless things have changed.

For 1/2010+ R56+ models.
You will have two bolts screw already there and you pop them out mounts to the plastic brackets and insert triangle in its the red case (blue case for -1/2010 models ).

We have it here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/71606770487/ES2063860/

Here are the mounts for the left and right 71107272405 & 71107272406

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/71107272405/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/71107272406/

---------------------------------------------------

Here is the one for R56+ -1/2010 models ( has a blue slide in case not shown )

Warning Triangle & Mounts Mfg Part# 71606782323KT

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/71606782323KT/

What you could have in the US Paceman like found in the Countryman. Is the little tool kit bag with some of the hardware.

Thanks and hope that helps.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
What is #5 in that diagram of the tool kit for?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
What is #5 in that diagram of the tool kit for?
Wheel center cap puller

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Quick Reply: Rotors?