Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

wheel/tire plan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel/tire plan?

THis is kind of new to me, but I was planning on getting some winter tires (from tirerack?) and then having them install then on my current r119 rims. Then in the spring, ordering some summer tires along with new rims. So should I just keep my current all season tires instead of winter tires (planning on getting a 17 inch rim, so can't move them to the new rims). Or should I sell off the current all season - they are runflats, and are in pretty good shape? Just trying to figure the best course of action!

I do want to keep the stock rims, for resale on the car if I decide to sell it down the line.

That said, can I take off the run flats without getting a bunch of error messages?

Thoughts?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craig Curtis
THis is kind of new to me, but I was planning on getting some winter tires (from tirerack?) and then having them install then on my current r119 rims. Then in the spring, ordering some summer tires along with new rims. So should I just keep my current all season tires instead of winter tires (planning on getting a 17 inch rim, so can't move them to the new rims). Or should I sell off the current all season - they are runflats, and are in pretty good shape? Just trying to figure the best course of action!

I do want to keep the stock rims, for resale on the car if I decide to sell it down the line.

That said, can I take off the run flats without getting a bunch of error messages?

Thoughts?
As long as you keep/reset the tire pressure monitors (TPM) in each wheel, you won't get any error messages from changing from run flats.

Winter tires (i.e. Blizzaks) are significantly better than all-season for driving in snowy conditions, and summer performance tires are better than all-season on dry pavement. The choice probably depends on the amount of snow you usually drive on in NJ vs. your budget. If you can get maybe a hundred bucks from selling the set (without rims) on Craigslist, you may as well try and recoup some of your costs.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:20 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
what part on NJ are you in? I have a tire shop, and I know that I usually have better prices than tire rack (after you factor in Shipping and installation charges)

Do you track the car? Do you race?

I recommend Conti DWS for any and every car. They are solid tires for snow and dry and summer. If you really want performance and a winter tire (what I have on my jcw) is the bfg sport comp 2, and I will be getting blizzak for winter.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Thoughts?
Do you have the storage space for owning two sets of MINI wheels/tires, one for three season use and one for winter.

If so, then one option is to keep your current OEM runflats and wheels with TPMS and buy from tirerack.com (check with Alex extention 4294) a set of winter wheels and snow tires - these can be smaller diameter than your OEM wheels. You don't need TPMS for the winter wheels. Your TPMS dash light may come on but just reset it later on.

This plan is easy and creates minimal hassle. Tirerack will do the mounting and balancing and has a large choice of good snow tires for the area you live in. Winter wheels can be cheap alloys, small diameter keeps the cost/weight down.

Also your good OEM wheels are not exposed to harsh winter conditions.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aldito2
what part on NJ are you in? I have a tire shop, and I know that I usually have better prices than tire rack (after you factor in Shipping and installation charges)

Do you track the car? Do you race?

I recommend Conti DWS for any and every car. They are solid tires for snow and dry and summer. If you really want performance and a winter tire (what I have on my jcw) is the bfg sport comp 2, and I will be getting blizzak for winter.
in Glen Ridge (near Montclair)

Don't track the car *right now* but it is something I have interest in doing in the future (probably not worrying about it with these tires). Of course, I planned on doing that in the past with other cars as well, but never had the opportunity. Know of any local clubs areound to do that? I was thinking of check out that track in the Poconos. I haven't really looked into it yet

So you are suggesting just the one tire (Continental DWS - for all year) and then a separate race/track tire? I know the winter here in Jersey is spotty and inconsistent at best, but I do take trips up to Vermont so snowboarding, so that's why I was thinking a true winter tire.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Do you have the storage space for owning two sets of MINI wheels/tires, one for three season use and one for winter.

If so, then one option is to keep your current OEM runflats and wheels with TPMS and buy from tirerack.com (check with Alex extention 4294) a set of winter wheels and snow tires - these can be smaller diameter than your OEM wheels. You don't need TPMS for the winter wheels. Your TPMS dash light may come on but just reset it later on.

This plan is easy and creates minimal hassle. Tirerack will do the mounting and balancing and has a large choice of good snow tires for the area you live in. Winter wheels can be cheap alloys, small diameter keeps the cost/weight down.

Also your good OEM wheels are not exposed to harsh winter conditions.
I have a storage unit to keep a set of wheels in. I could probably fit 2 in. Although - I don't really *love* the look of the OEM wheels, but I just don't want to get rid of them. Maybe There is a cheaper wheel to look at for winter and just keep the oem in storage. Hmm...

Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
oh, and if I get rid of the TPMS, should I also buy a donut (knowing my luck, I WILL get a flat...)

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM
aldito2
3rd Gear
oh, and if I get rid of the TPMS, should I also buy a donut (knowing my luck, I WILL get a flat...)
I suggest a spare if you get rid of run flats even if keep tpms. If you have storage and can spend the money then yes get true winter set. This will allow for a true summer set which you can track... If not then I would recommend the dws for year round. Winter is best if you're going to Vermont. How does the mini do up there? I always want to go but never have.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aldito2
I suggest a spare if you get rid of run flats even if keep tpms. If you have storage and can spend the money then yes get true winter set. This will allow for a true summer set which you can track... If not then I would recommend the dws for year round. Winter is best if you're going to Vermont. How does the mini do up there? I always want to go but never have.
don't know yet - I've only had the Mini a little over a month. Just planning ahead!