Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Pad/Rotors options

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
TBgator85
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pad/Rotors options

Greetings all,

I am looking to replace my brake pads and rotors in the next coming weeks with my car-conscious buddy(since I don't wish to pay the 1100 my dealership quoted lol) but I really am in the dark about what I am actually going to need as far as size and what type.

I have a 2009 Hardtop S with OEM brakes and rotors now.
17 inch wheels after-market wheels.
I don't go any racing or anything crazy.

Looking for something on the cheaper-side but not so cheap that quality diminishes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
EBC Redstuff pads and rotors from Way Motor Works...
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-red...-cooper-s.html

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber
Like he said the EBC Reds are great.

But if you need rotors go with our package with our WMW rotors, it's great value for quality products
We also have FREE SHIPPING on these kits this month with coupon code NAM when you check out.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Just another option for you - I went with EBC Greens and Centric Hi Carbon rotors (125 series). Cost about $350 including shipping all from Amazon. I'm not trying to steer you away from Way - the EBC reds are a step up from the Greens I think - but if you're interested in an inexpensive setup, I've been running this for about 1k miles now and the brake feel is pretty much like OEM and I really like the brake feel. The rotors are really cheap but Centric makes Stoptech and they're a pretty well known brand. I wouldn't question the quality of these centric rotors based on what I received

Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber
+1
Much less brake dust than OEM too. Be sure to follow the break-in instructions closely for best results.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with Centric rotors especially for a DD.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my Cooper I just installed Akebono pads from Way Motor Works - am very pleased. Performance = OEM or better. Little to no dust. When I need rotors & pads, I will go with Way's recommendations! Plus, I may throw on a set of Way's stainless lines.

Thanks to Way - good product, super-fast shipping!

I found that messing with changing out the wear sensors took as much time as the mechanical part of the brake job - primarily because I didn't know what I was doing with the inner fender liners. Now that I've done the job once I believe that the sensors can be replaced without completely removing the inner fender liners [L-front,R-rear] - just displace, bend back the forward portion and fish the sensor plug and wire and remove the old one.

Another tip - get a few of the plastic fasteners that hold the inner fenders in place - you will probably not be able to reuse some of the ones that you take off.

Get or rent the tool for retracting the rear caliper pistons. It probably possible to do without... but, is a pain.

Couple of spray cans of brake cleaner will come in handy. I went by the coin car wash and tried to pressure wash the rotors before I started the job but they were still nasty.

Might want a couple of extra blister packs of brake caliper lube - my pads came with one tiny pack per axle and you have to be really frugal to make this small amount work.

Also, a thin 15mm open end wrench is needed to counter-hold the caliper bolts. I happened to have a 15mm bicycle wheel cone wrench that worked great.