Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake pad replacement????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:35 PM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has you had your pads replaced by someome else OTHER than the dealer? Just curious if a Midas, Pep Boys, etc., are equipped to replace the pads? I live soooooo far from the dealer, and NEVER want to return there for many reasons not to mention the high cost of dealer brake replacement. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-16-2004, 02:21 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
You can search for info on replacement brake pads which most of us do to cut down on the nasty and excessive brake dust. Also some change for autocross and need better stopping power.

A common choice is Mintex redbox pads which are inexpensive- they stop good, wear fine and make less dust- you can get them at Helix13.com and many other vendors for about half the price as EBC green pads which some use for autocross (they make the least dust but some do squeak).

Buy the brakepads on your own and ship them to you. Then either do it yourself with the help of the how to posts on NAM or take the pads to any garage or shop nearby. I had a Goodyear Gemini shop in my area do mine along with replacing the brake fluid with better fluid (ATE super blue-has a higher wet boiling point), cross drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines.

Old 05-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 18,000 miles I had Greenstuff pads put on at Helix.....$355+ tax. I'm just hitting the end of the 350 mile break-in period.....for a bit I had some minor sqealing when coming to a stop.....can now feel the breaks really tightening up.

The best part is the break dust......much less of it and the build-up is very even. Keeping my V-spokes clean is much, much easier and the wheels look OK much
longer.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:52 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were in Hawaii, you could come to one of our DIY sessions. Yesterday we changed out the pads and rotors on a buddy's Z3 and he said it took us about 35 minutes for all four corners. He joked that we looked like a Pit Crew with one guy at each corner.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would you be willing to return to a dealer if the brake work was free?

I recently had my rear brakes and rotors replaced free under warranty when a single pad wore down to the metal at around 24k miles.

Your best bet would be to find a local independent BMW mechanic to handle any of the small, routine jobs that are not worth a trip to the expensive dealership.

I live far from any dealer but am very lucky to have a local BMW mechanic who also has a MINI to maintain my MINI

I think that if you bring in the correct parts yourself, any local brake shop could do the work. It is really quite simple. I've done it on my Land Rover and previous VW, but these days I have decided that I am leaving very important safety stuff like brakes to a professional I trust.

SE Regional, BAMA Club Moderator: PM me