Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Turning Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning Rotors

Is anyone against turning oem rotors? Even if it's the first time and it's leaves room for minimum thickness?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:59 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RHcoopers
Is anyone against turning oem rotors? Even if it's the first time and it's leaves room for minimum thickness?
Unless you are changing pad compounds there is no need to turn the rotors unless you are felling a pulse in the pedal. Just put new pads on and enjoy. If you are switching compounds then either turn them or buy new rotors. If you start to get some pulsing in the pedal then buy new rotors at that point.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Unless you are changing pad compounds there is no need to turn the rotors unless you are felling a pulse in the pedal. Just put new pads on and enjoy. If you are switching compounds then either turn them or buy new rotors. If you start to get some pulsing in the pedal then buy new rotors at that point.
I going from metallic to ebc ceramics and the front rotors have grooves. Figure that is good enough reason!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:48 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI does not specify why but they do not recommend turning the rotors.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 AM
animal1
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change them either way it's not worth it. Even if you are "near limits" after turning you lost heat soak ability and you should have a new true surface
to really enjoy those new pads and get the "best" out of them.

Brakes, I don't take short cuts. Get it? lol!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
One thought....
You can get decent NEW rotors (if you look around) for $30-45 each, free shipping....
Turning is kinda rare these days...mostly cause there is not much "meat" on rotors to cut...they are made thinner to start with...guess if you don't mind starting New $$ pads on a minimum thickness rotor that may warp and turn your $100 pads into paperweight to save $15 a side it is worth the risk....
My math...the hour you save not leaving your car on jack stands while getting them turned AND starting with a nice thick rotor that should last the life of the pad is with it...
Pads are the $$$ parts these days....rotors are cheap..the reverse of when rotors were commonly turned.....

Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
I have cryo slotted rotors, so I didn't want to change them while they still had lots of meat left on them,
and I didn't want to take them somewhere to be turned.
Last brake pad change I measured very little wear on the rotor with a micrometer, and not too much
grooving, so I just spun them by hand (in place on the car) while taking a file to the rusty lip on the
outer edge of the rotor, then scuffed and cleaned the rotor surfaces well for the new pads.
The new pads actually smoothed out the grooving quite nicely after a few hundred miles.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:31 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
The MINI rotors are made thin to save rotating weight and cost so they are not meant to be turned as that will make them to thin and effect. Braking performance. New rotors are not that bad as we keep many affordable options in stock.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/brakes/rotors/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-14-2013, 01:11 PM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The MINI rotors are made thin to save rotating weight and cost so they are not meant to be turned as that will make them to thin and effect. Braking performance. New rotors are not that bad as we keep many affordable options in stock. http://www.waymotorworks.com/brakes/rotors/
I was looking to save money and figured if they are still thicker than the minimum thickness printed(after being resurfaced) in the rotor that I would be in the safe zone. Not true? I turned the rears, since the rears get less abuse maybe I'll just go with new fronts and call it good.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
One thought.... You can get decent NEW rotors (if you look around) for $30-45 each, free shipping.... Turning is kinda rare these days...mostly cause there is not much "meat" on rotors to cut...they are made thinner to start with...guess if you don't mind starting New $$ pads on a minimum thickness rotor that may warp and turn your $100 pads into paperweight to save $15 a side it is worth the risk.... My math...the hour you save not leaving your car on jack stands while getting them turned AND starting with a nice thick rotor that should last the life of the pad is with it... Pads are the $$$ parts these days....rotors are cheap..the reverse of when rotors were commonly turned.....
Zippy, I'd probably want rotors with the means of occasional performance/street use though. Do you mean eBay rotors? Also see my response to way.... What do you think?