Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

bubble in sidewall on runflat safe to drive on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 05:12 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hit one of the many potholes on my way home from work the other day and when I got home I look at the tire and there is a bubble in the sidewall. The bit of tire closest to the wheel is also not flush with the wheel anymore. I looked this morning and it seems to be in the same condition it was yesterday and just to be on the safe side I rode my motorcycle in to work but they are calling for rain tomorrow and I won't get my new wheels and tires until probably Friday, possibly monday. (something I was going to do anyway... this just made me do it sooner rather than later)

Is it safe to drive on or is the only reason it's not flat now because of the runflats? The tire monitor did not go off on my way home but I have not driven it since I got home yesterday.
-Chris

Old 05-20-2004, 05:19 AM
jsun
6th Gear
You do have a tire pressure gauge, right? Check the pressure to see if there's air in there. Never rely on the idiot light (documented inaccurate and no substitute for checking pressure manually). Still though, if it were my tire, I'd not drive on it even if there was pressure. A bubble is always bad news...and quite unsafe. Sorry.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:30 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris,

A bubble in the sidewall generally is indicative of a rupture in the cords (kind of like a tire hernia). It significantly weakens the tire, and is an unsafe condition that should be changed. Although the runflats have the extra protection that allows them to work for some time without air, it is at best a limited protection. Get thee to a tire store and replace your damaged donut.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:58 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well im the king of bad tires here in michigan ryan can quote me on that !

but i have driven on my runflat for literaly months with a bubble that went the whole width of the tire and i hit pot holes again with the tire and it still worked now im not saying drive on it but i was in a pinch with money and had no real expendable cash to buy a new tire so just wach your speed and dont go over 50 with it, when we took off the tire (i have new ones now) the whole tire was split on the inside frankley we where inpressed it didnt blow up but the runflates are horrable with bad roads and your garanteed to wreck it if you drive on them!!!

Old 05-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire cost vs. Insurance deductable?

Sooner than later imho.

Alex

Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM
C4
Banned
>>I hit one of the many potholes on my way home from work the other day and when I got home I look at the tire and there is a bubble in the sidewall. The bit of tire closest to the wheel is also not flush with the wheel anymore. I looked this morning and it seems to be in the same condition it was yesterday and just to be on the safe side I rode my motorcycle in to work but they are calling for rain tomorrow and I won't get my new wheels and tires until probably Friday, possibly monday. (something I was going to do anyway... this just made me do it sooner rather than later)
>>
>>Is it safe to drive on or is the only reason it's not flat now because of the runflats? The tire monitor did not go off on my way home but I have not driven it since I got home yesterday.
>>-Chris

What kind of wheels/tires size do you have?

Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
runflats suck switch to non-runflats
especially if you have real bumpy roads in your area
also: runflats cost too much anyway & the ride/performance is better on non-runflats

Old 05-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
I currently have the 17" S-Lites with the Pirelli runflats. I was planning on replacing them after my wedding which is coming up soon (June 6th) with 17" SSR Comps and the Yokohama AVS ES100. Since this happened I ordered them and they should get here either Friday or Monday. I was just concerned because it looks like it may rain tomorrow and monday and I'd rather not drive my truck because it consumes a lot of gas and I have about a 50mile commute in the morning. (each way)

Hopefully the SSR Comps with the ES100 will hold up a little better.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
MGear
5th Gear
It is not safe to drive the car with a bubbled tire, run flats or no run flats, it is very dangerous. Its also possible that you may have damaged the rim as well given the location description of the bubble. How do I know this, because I had the exact same problem with my wife's 900SE Saab in the same location and the wheel was toast too!
If your tire dealer or Mini dealership isn't too far away that should be the only place you drive your car in that condition. Now don't get too scared, just drive over to the dealership carefully not putting too much stress on the suspension and you'll be okay.
But you need to get that fixed ASAP :smile:

Old 05-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
Woohoo!!! Got my new wheels/tires today and put them on. The SSR Comps look incredible! Still a little slippery (new tires and wet ground) but after my ride to work tomorrow that should be cleared up. Fortunately I did not have to drive my car any further than up and down the driveway (at very low speeds, <5mph). I rode my motocycle 2 days and the one day it rained I borrowed my Father in-law's PT-Cruiser. (The MINI is a much better car )

Anyone interested in 4 S-Lites, see the marketplace for more details.
-Chris

Old 05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
C4
Banned
I don't think the problem is because of the runflat themselves, but rather due to the low profile nature of the Pirelli 17" rubber. Low profile tires will always be more vulnerable to road hazard damage regardless of them being runflat or not.

Low profile tires look cool, but they do have their drawbacks and that is the reason why I stuck to the standard (Higher profile) 16" Dunlop SP5000 runflats with the factory R84 V-spokes and in 8,000+ miles, no problemos.