Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Got rid of the run-flats, now what....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:35 PM
BrtshRceGr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all of your advice on this board a few months ago, I ditched my euforias in favor of Pirelli PZero Neros....absolutely love them, and I'm amazed by the difference in ride and handling. But without the runflats and no spare, I'm little afraid of flats now.

Next month I'm going to be driving from my home (Cleveland) to orientation at George Washington University (D.C.) and then onto Winter Park, Florida. All in all, over a couple thousand miles round trip. I dont think I want to rely on a can of fix-a-flat and an air compressor for the entire trip, so I'm wondering what my best options are for picking up a spare wheel and tire and throwing it in the back. The stock17" Minilites are on the car, and also two of the euforias that are still in good condition are in my garage. Should I go for a 17" rim and mount one of my old tires, or would be going to a smaller size steel or alloy and getting a cheap tire work as well? It would certainly save on room, but I wasn't sure if it would be okay mismatching sizes like that in case I do get a flat.

Thanks in advance for all of your anecdotes, help, and advice.

Cheers, Brian

Old 05-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I carry a full size S-lite with runflat as my spare on long trips. I rarely have more than one passenger on such trips so space is not a major concern.

Chances are, you should be able to pick up a cheap scratched used MINI wheel to mount one of your better remaining runflats. . .

I was able to come across 2 extra S-lites and tires. Kept one and gave the other to a friend so he would have a spare too

Old 05-20-2004, 10:03 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally wouldn't bother with more than a can of fix-a-flat. If that. No compressor. Why?

1) How many flat tires have you actually HAD in your life? In my 30 driving years I think one when I was actually driving.
2) I spent my money on a AAA membership. I have gone back and forth with this for years. Carry it for a few, then drop it. But they will come and fix your flat. And the card in the wallet is much smaller than a spare tire. Weighs less, too.
3) Fix-a-flat works. I know it is not the best thing and it is dangerous for the guy removing the tire to actually patch/plug it properly (always tell them if you have used it-it is explosive). But it does work.
4) You aren't supposed to need to add more air than is in the can, so no compressor. I guess some of the small cans you might need to.

Those are my reasons. I accept the risk. But it is not for everyone. If you do get a spare, be sure to check this thread below. Jerseygirl has done a great job making and offering a bag to keep your spare in. She mentions in the thread somewhere that she got her compact spare from Classic MINI for $80 or so. Read through it. And buy a bag from Robyn.Spare tire bag

Enjoy yours!
John L

Old 05-21-2004, 12:56 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Unless you have a compact spare from an MC I think you might want to get a matching wheel for your spare.
Since you have stock 17" S-lytes then that is the rim you want with maybe one of the spare runflats for a spare.
Ask Alex@tirerack. I know you can mix non runflats with runflats but I think you should have them the same on each axle not three non runflats and one runflat. Also you'll need to run tires that have the same outer diameter or very close to it.

I have AAA club to help if there is ever a flat. I have had one flat while driving and about 5 flats when checking my parked car. Most of the time I catch it early enough I drive to costco for a flat fix and all is good. The only exception would be for a side wall nail.

My wife ran over a large metal piece on the freeway and it tore up a minivan tire and she lost two hubcaps at the same time.