Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Smaller kit for 16" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:36 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
With the work complete on the 13" rotor kit for the Mini, I'm wondering again the value/interest/feedback on offering a smaller kit for the use of 16" wheels.

Are folks really that interested in this? How many people run 16s who may benefit from this? I've spoken to a few people and the levels appear lower than I'd have guessed. Seems most of the owners are dealing with the larger 17" wheel to begin with and perhaps production of the smaller unit may be a waste of time.

Anyone wish to comment?

Old 05-23-2004, 11:16 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Can you give us more infor on the 13" rotor kit you have for 17" wheels?
Details, price, installation costs. Which brake pads are possible?

Any estimate on the 16" wheel kit for price and any differences with the other kit. Which brake pads?

Some of us have MC and do autocross in 15" wheels and do street driving in 16"
Some of us have MCS and do autocross in 16" wheels and do street driving in 17"
Those with MCS with pulley are in Street Mod class and can use any wheel
Those who go on the track can use any wheel.

So the 13" rotor limits wheel size to 17" and is OK for anyone with an MCS with Pulley
or doesn't care to autocross and sticks to street driving or track events and driving school.

The advantage of the smaller kit is for MC owners that autocross and for MCS owners that autocross with 16" rims or for anyone that has more than one set of wheels including some that are smaller than 17". We like the 15" and 16" rims due to the lighter rim weights.

-----------From the website----------
Application: 2002-03 Mini Cooper
FRONT Brake Kit

Vehicle application: BMW Mini Cooper
Special applications: Base Street Sport kit fits stock 17s with supplied minimal wheel spacer. Wider Road Race kit requires ample spoke clearance to accommodate the wider rotor and caliper combo.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...Kits/Mini.mgi2
Base kits:
Street Sport 13.0 x .81 with FSL calipers $1,059
Road Race 13.0 x 1.10 with FSL calipers $1,099

Options list/price (per kit)
Gas slot rotors $55
Zinc plate rotors $65
Drill or drill and slot rotors $125
Pad wear spacers $25
Earl’s Solo Bleeders $20
Substitute drilled ‘race bolts’ $20

Old 05-23-2004, 01:54 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I'll surely try to answer most of your questions if you have specific ones. Much of what you asked you then printed from the web page.

The car's in my driveway right now so it's not lost and forgotten on some customers car.

The concept was to offer an alternative to what is out there now of course. There's room for another one I feel and for the cost it's a pretty tough act to follow. The choice of rotor size as well as the options for finish leave it up to you as to how you want it and for what application. The Street kit using the narrow rotor is more than adequate for any owner who is looking for improvements, but not a heavy track user. And wants to not have big-ol wheel spacers in there either. The fatter rotor offers more head room for heat but comes at the expense of spoke clearnace as the rotor is pulled outward more. And it could be done in even 1.25" if one wished. Prettty over the top for this car in my opinion and a lot of added weight. The Street Sport offers you the best of both worlds.

Pads are offered by me in up to 9 compounds for variuos applicatoins. The base pad is the Q pad which is of low dust/noise and wear. Not really a track worthy pad however. From here you'd do well to consider the E pad next. Then for extreme use perhaps the J pad. Still this car could be 'over braked' with the J. Don't like the pads you see? That's fine; you can choose from more pads to fit this caliper than ANY other caliper on the market. The full line of pads for the Superlite line of calipers can be easily modified to accomodate the single bridge bolt of this FSL caliper. Example: see the Hawk HB101 and envisoin removing the center cotter pin hole. Not rocket science to do so with a Makita grinder and about 20m. As manufactures pick up steam on this pad plate I suspect they'll offer it off the shelf too. All they'll do is mill the cotter pin tit out as I do here as needed if I don't have the plate in stock.

Install was done on this car with straight from the shelf parts. No monkey business to put it together for show. The only things different on this one is that we modified an existing wheel spacer for the Focus to fit this car. In the near future you'll have the Mini specific spacer. And I also fee that given the spacer we need to look at longer wheel bolts. No spacer, no problem. A contact for these or source would be helpfull.Any suggestion? The grinding of the knuckle is pretty simple; Makita and maybe 5m per side to clearance the caliper ears to the spindle ears. The steel bracket and its washers make a good template to where you remove a bit of iron.

As for the smaller kits, the fit of 15s is pretty much out of the question but not 16s. I don't really feel that if you are running 15s that I can promise return value for the money on this set up. And not sure of the mounting radius of parts to do so on perhaps a 11.25" rotor. At that point I'm not sure I'd spend a grand to buy one so I'm not sure I can take your money on one either.

The smaller package may well alter pricing a bit and not be quite as friendly on choice of pads either. I'll probably finish it up and post it to be offered anyhow. More info to follow. Sadly one thing I don't see offering is the ability to mix and match the sizees, meaning you can't pull off the larger rotors and brackets, install the smaller ones and put on the 16s. On many of my kits, yes. This one, no.

The rear looks to be the next stop and I hope to have them on this car within a week or two max. Again no earth shattering set up; just a two piece rotor assembly to match that of the fronts. Tie it together a bit more add some mass, and make it look down right nifty with the fronts.

Any specific q's just fire away.