Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Screws vs. Screwless

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:38 AM
dlaugh
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps an obvious observation, but I notice that some wheels..

Have screws:

and some don't:

Aside from aesthetics, is there a difference? Is one sturdier? (I know that there are differences between the two examples I linked to above, but I picked those arbitrarily -- my curiousity is general.)

Old 05-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
(Your links dont work outside of your browsing session, try linking to a search page or list the model numbers)

Screws appeared first on 'modular' two- and three-piece wheels. These allowed racers to select the rim sizes and offsets and wheel centers in a mix-and-match style. Modular wheels were, and are expensive. Many wheel manufacturers have installed 'cosmetic only' screws to a wheel to make them look like the more expensive modular style, as well as come out with a one-piece non-modular wheel sans screws to save on costs, but with similar benefits to the modulars.

Unless a wheel is advertised as being 'modular', 'two-piece' or 'three piece', the screws you see are most likely cosmetic.

Old 05-24-2004, 11:59 AM
dlaugh
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Post edited to correct pictures. Thanks, GreatBear.)

Old 05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
The screws are partly for looks (associated with being more expensive as in the two part rims) and partly for strength.

For MINIs only the R90 rims are two piece and they have the screws.
They tend to be harder to clean compared to those designs with no screws.

Many of the non screw designs are either cast or forged which are less costly methods of production but still relatively strong and light.

Many of the very expensive rims costing above $300 per rim will feature a two piece design with a deep lip and screws. These rims are usually strong.

If the screws are in a one piece cast or forged rim then they offer no added strength- just for looks.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:48 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i recommend you purchase a boar's hair brush if you intend to buy
a mesh type wheel regardless of one or 2, 3 pieces.

Makes your washing 10x easier and faster! :smile:

http://www.griotsgarage.com about $30.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many of the non screw designs are either cast or forged which are less costly methods of production but still relatively strong and light.
minihune, I thought wheels were either cast or forged (or some modified version of either method). How are the "with screws" wheels like the R-90's made?

Old 05-24-2004, 04:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>minihune, I thought wheels were either cast or forged (or some modified version of either method). How are the "with screws" wheels like the R-90's made?

From the tirerack-
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&...h/construc.htm
Quote-
There are now many options for 2-piece wheels in the market. The 2-piece wheel design does not offer as wide a range of application that a 3-piece wheel allows, however they are more common in the market and the prices start well below the average 3-piece wheel. Some 2-piece wheels have the center bolted into a cast or cast/spun rim section and other manufacturers press centers into spun rim sections and weld the unit together. When BBS developed a new 2-piece wheel to replace the previous 3-piece street wheel, they used the special rim-rolling technology (originally developed for racing wheels) to give the rim section the weight and strength advantages similar to a forged rim. On the high-end of the 2-piece wheel market you can find wheels using forged rims and forged centers. Since these are only sold in small volume and due to the high development and production costs associated with the forging process, they tend to be on the high end of the price scale.
-----------------------------

BBS makes the R90. I don't know which method they use to make it but they are known for advanced rim manufactoring. Probably Alex@tirerack would know for sure. I would guess that it is a forged rim and center.