Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

185/55 R15 for 15" holies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:52 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can get, for free, some Pirelli 6000's that are about 4-5 years old, have tons of tread (saw only 2 laps at Summit Point on a vintage car), but are a teeny bit hard. Not cracked or visibly deteriorated.

I want to use them on the track on my MCS. I already have the wheels with the Continental all season touring tires, they were my "snow" wheels and tires.

My father suggested using some tire softener to soften them up, not for the purpose of going crazy on the track! In fact, I'd use the stuff and do some street driving to let it sink in. Will it benefit the condition of the tires, or does the effect wear off after the stuff wears off?

Thoughts on size of tires, condition, and the tire softener would be much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>I can get, for free, some Pirelli 6000's that are about 4-5 years old, have tons of tread (saw only 2 laps at Summit Point on a vintage car), but are a teeny bit hard. Not cracked or visibly deteriorated.
When I search for P6000s in that size I do not find them available. P6000s are OEM for Porsche and are very sticky but also very hard riding. Over 5 years they have hardened and my have lost those sticky qualities so handling may not be a strong point now. Best to check with Alex@tirerack as they do sell P6000 (now discontinued).

>>I want to use them on the track on my MCS. I already have the wheels with the Continental all season touring tires, they were my "snow" wheels and tires.

The 15" holies are 15x5.5" so the tires will technically fit. Rim range is 5 to 6.5" and best rim size width is 6". But overall tire diameter is small at 23" so your speedometer will be off. Worse is that load rating is a very low 81 with max load of 1019 pounds which is barely enough for the axle weight and one driver only. Usually for the track we like 1100+ pounds load rating per tire and for street driving closer to 1200 pounds when possible.

>>My father suggested using some tire softener to soften them up, not for the purpose of going crazy on the track! In fact, I'd use the stuff and do some street driving to let it sink in. Will it benefit the condition of the tires, or does the effect wear off after the stuff wears off?
Mostly you get drying out of the tires and the effects of age and ultraviolet light on the rubber. Although you cannot see visible cracks I think the rubber compound is altered not to mention flat spots from sitting for so long unless it was stored properly dismounted or in a tirerack overhead. I'd say performance will not be as good as you think.

>>Thoughts on size of tires, condition, and the tire softener would be much appreciated.
Best to talk to Alex on this one.
At tirerack.com a search for tires in ultra and high performance or competition for 205/50-15 yields-
Bridgestone Potenza RE750 (Ultra High Performance Summer) for $90 each
Dunlop SP Sport 8000 (Ultra High Performance Summer) for $85 each
Dunlop SP Sport FM901 (Ultra High Performance Summer) for $68 each
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (Ultra High Performance Summer) for $61 each
Yokohama AVS ES100 (Ultra High Performance Summer) for $77 each
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport (High Performance Summer) for $64 each

Overall for street use the Potenza RE750 looks good but costs more. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 is not bad for the lowest price. Yokohama ES100 are good for street and autocross use with a lower wear rating and lower price.

Another idea is just to get Falken Azenis Sport in 205/50-15 ($62 per tire but tirerack doesn't sell them)or any other track tire in that size which will fit the holies. You didn't mention what you want to use these tires for. Street, autocross, track?
In autocross with an MCS you can use these tires only if you are in a class that doesn't restrict wheels. Classes like Street Mod that allow any wheel are OK but no stock classes will allow an MCS to use a non stock 15" size wheel.
The 15" wheels can be used on the street but the speedo is inaccurate and the ride quality with the wider tires will be harsh. On the track it should be OK but with limited load capacity.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:01 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>I can get, for free, some Pirelli 6000's that are about 4-5 years old, have tons of tread (saw only 2 laps at Summit Point on a vintage car), but are a teeny bit hard. Not cracked or visibly deteriorated.
The price is too high. Tires will deteriorate over time and will not be visible. I would not trust old tires on the street let alone the track.
Chirs

Old 05-27-2004, 10:17 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your comments. I was planning on using them for the track.

They were removed from the car shortly after use and stored properly.

The load rating index is a concern, as well as the other concerns. The load rating is 82 on these tires, with a V speed rating. I saw the load rating index requirement for the MINI to be 84 minimum.

Thank you for all of your research, minihune. I was only considering using those wheels at this time because of access to the tires. I also have V-spokes and a few sets of S-lites.