Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best plan for street & autox tires/wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 03:12 PM
WebWerker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've had my MCS for over a week now so its time to ditch the runflats and gets some sticky rubber.

My situation:
I currently have 550miles on my 16" runflats on V-spokes.
I'm planning on running autox in SCCA GS, and in the San Diego BMWCCA - which of course have different rules for what's stock or not. I'd like to spend as little as possible but still be competitive in class, and I also need something to run on the street (spiritedly).

So:
GS requires a stock sized wheel but allows R compound tires.
SD-BMWCCA stock says you can run any size tire/wheel but no R-compounds.

After extensively reading through the tire/wheel posts I'm thinking that I should:
1. Pick up a set of lightweight 16x7" or 16x7.5" (Kosei F-1 ??) wheels fitted with Falken Azenis for use on the street and in SD-BMWCCA events.

2. Unmount and sell my almost new runflats to help offset some cost.

3. Re-shod my V-spokes with either Kumho Ecta V700s or Hoosiers 04s exclusively for use in GS.

I'd like to go as high performance as possible for my street/BMWCCA set since weather is not much of a problem. Any advice or feedback on this plan is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
WebWerker

Old 05-28-2004, 03:33 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Webwerker,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.

Do you have autocross and track experience? If so then you plan is OK although you could wait and just use up your runflats as is in G-stock of SCCA. I take it that you have access to both BMWCCA and SCCA events. One allows only stock sized rims of 16x6.5" and 17x7" for your MCS while the other is any size with limits on the tires.

Falken Azenis Sports are good for autocross and for street (a little bit rough riding). The sizes are rather limited to 15" and 16" rims for the MINI.

The Kumho Ecta V700s or Hoosiers 04s are track only tires so you'd still need street tires.
You can try to sell your runflats nearly new but I don't know if you can get much for them as people need them more as replacements for OEM tires. You can try to sell them on Ebay.com.

Old 05-28-2004, 04:24 PM
WebWerker
1st Gear
Thanks Minihune!
Its been a few years since I autox/time trial'ed with PCA (Stock 911 & modified 914) so I'll classify myself as a novice until I get my racing legs back.

It may make sense for me to just use up my runflats in GS but they are so diappointing performance-wise that I think they take some of the thrill out of the MCS. I used to run Yoko A008 (G on street, R on the track) and boy do I miss that grippyness.

So maybe I'll go ahead and get a set of wheels and Azenis for the street and burn up the runflats (quickly) in GS events and then replace them with Kumhos/Hoosiers.

Hmm... still undecided...

Old 05-28-2004, 06:12 PM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM! I also race in the San Diego Region, but with the SCCA crowd only. While I was dropping off my car for service, I read through the BMWCCA magazine and saw the classification rules for their events and it got my mind racing. I am planning on doing some BMW events. So we can plot against all the high dollar high hp cars and laugh at them when they get toasted by MINIs. As for your situation- Buy some different wheels for the street and BMW events. I would suggest Enkei RPF-1s in 15" shod with Falken Azeni. Mount some Kumho V700s on your stock wheels for SCCA G stock. Sell me your runflats.
Chris

Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 AM
rory
3rd Gear
I just ran the BMW event on the 15th of this month. Besides myself, there were two other Mini's. All three of us were S models. I ended up winning the Mini class and came in about 11th or 12th overall (from what I could tell from the results board).

The next event is July 31st and you have to make sure you get there by 6:30am or you may not get to run as they limit it to 80 cars. Also make sure you're a member of BMWCCA.

It was my first autocross so I just ran with the Yoko Spec 2's on my Alessio 17" boat anchors, oops, wheels. My car is set up neutral and I didn't have too many problems turning eventhough my fronts were rags when I got there and were down to the cords when I finished the day. I'll try the Yoko's again cause they seem to work pretty good and they work really good on the street and in the canyons.

See you guys there!

Old 05-30-2004, 08:19 AM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Our region of the BMWCCA allows R compund tires, they just run in a different class. They have set up a point system that classes the cars to allow cars with similar capabilities to run together, but the R-compound shod cars in a different class.

In your case I would think the Falken or maybe the Kumho MX's would be a good way to go. If you decide to get competitive and want the R-compound tires for the SCCA you could always the BMWCCA "street tires" on the street (now there's a novel idea).

Old 05-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking about getting Randy Webb's (Webb Motorsports) wheel/tire combo with Azinis. Looks pretty darn good!

Old 05-31-2004, 12:18 AM
WebWerker
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone for their advice on this.

Chris - I think I talked with you maybe 2 months ago at an SCCA event at the Q. I had my MCS on order and was sooo jealous watching you guys run that day. Now that my MCS is here I can't wait to join the San Diego MINI contingent in both SCCA and BMWCCA autox. BTW there's a Dyno Day with the BMWCCA this Saturday. I'd like to dyno my MCS then but I'm not sure I'll get past the 1250 mile mark by Saturday but I sure am trying!

Rory - I look forward to seeing you at the July 31 event. I heard they were limiting cars so I'm planning on getting there early. I've already sent my BMWCCA application in so I think I should be all set. I'll probably make a fool of myself but I'll try to at least provide some entertainment for the corner workers...

ColoradoMark - Our local BMWCCA doesn't allow R compounds to run in stock at all. I could run them but they'd automatically put me in the 4-cylinder modded class and I know there are some very heavily race-prepped cars in that class (bleh).

Anyway, it sounds like you guys are saying that the best plan is to run 1 set of tires/wheels (Azenis/Enkei or Kosei's) for SD-BMWCCA and street use, and then use my stock V-Spokes/Kumho's for SCCA. So far so good. Now Chris has introduced the whole 15" versus 16" issue into the debate for the street/BMWCCA use.

I wish I could find a definitive answer on whether the (supposed) tradeoff in handling of the 15's (more sidewall flex/smaller contact patch) actually offsets the advantages in braking and acceleration of the 15's versus the 16's. Would love to hear comments on this. Chris, those Enkei RPF-1s sure are light (and look sharp) for the $$$.

Also with the 15's I'd probably want to put on some lowering springs (at least for looks) which again would force my out of MINI stock in the SD-BMWCCA events. It sure would be nice if the SD-BMWCCA would use SCCA-type classing rules - the current rule set really makes it tough to campaign a competitive car in both series.

Again thanks for all the help and keep those comments coming!
-Marty (aka WebWerker)

Old 05-31-2004, 09:48 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Marty-
I am sending in my BMWCCA stuff tomorrow, and will try to be at the next event. I will be at the event this Sunday running the RCompounds. Now for the 15 vs. 16 debate- this thread sums it up nicely https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...c=27174&19
If you want, you can try my 15" Azeni this weekend.
Chris

Old 05-31-2004, 11:20 AM
WebWerker
1st Gear
Chris -
Thanks for the generous offer. I'll definitely come down to see you run on Sunday and check out both of your setups. I still won't be past the 1250 break-in so I'll have to wait another couple of weeks before my first event.

I am liking the idea of going to 15s more and more, especially when you factor in the price difference of that combo vs. the 16s. Seeing how they look on your car will probably solidify my decision.

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.
-Marty

Old 05-31-2004, 12:04 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Marty (and all),

Mini's all run together at the BMWCCA SD events. Doesn't matter what mods you have, what tires you're running or what you have done to you motor. If enough Minis show up, they're talking about separating the S models from the Coopers. So if someone shows up with a full race Mini and they know how to drive, we'll get or asses handed to us.

See ya there!!!!!

Old 07-04-2004, 12:28 AM
squid2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FWD-MX5
Marty-
... Now for the 15 vs. 16 debate- this thread sums it up nicely https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...c=27174&19
If you want, you can try my 15" Azeni this weekend.
Chris
This link is broken.
Note for SCCA GS, you cannot downsize an MCS to 15 inch wheels.