Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Is a brake "transplant" possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 01:21 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that one of the weak points of the MCS is the relatively small brakes. I am thinking about getting EBC pads, rotors and SS brake lines cause I can't afford the 2k brake kits. Is there a way to take the OEM brakes off of another car that has a 4x100 bolt and same hub size yet bigger brakes or am I just dreaming. I am trying to think of a compact front driver that has good brakes but nothing comes to mind. Maybe something like a Honda S2000 will work?? Any thoughts...

Old 05-31-2004, 02:04 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>I know that one of the weak points of the MCS is the relatively small brakes. I am thinking about getting EBC pads, rotors and SS brake lines cause I can't afford the 2k brake kits. Is there a way to take the OEM brakes off of another car that has a 4x100 bolt and same hub size yet bigger brakes or am I just dreaming. I am trying to think of a compact front driver that has good brakes but nothing comes to mind. Maybe something like a Honda S2000 will work?? Any thoughts...

I don't know of any other stock calipers you can fit onto a MINI but the brake calipers themselves are actually OK.
Just change out the pads and upgrade the brake fluid first (ATE super blue is a good start).
For street pads- Mintex redbox. Auto cross- EBC green front and rears.
Some track use- Ferrodo DS2500
Rotors can be added later but you don't really need them unless you do more track events- try powerslot rotors with no dimples (higher cost, lost surface area)
Stainless steel brake lines- may increase firmness of pedal feel- optional, not that big a deal to keep it stock for now.

A good option for half the price of a name brand big brake kit for the front is the new TCE brake kit with 13"x 0.81 rotors. Be careful since a bigger caliper will fit 17" rims only.
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...Kits/Mini.mgi2
From $1059 plus labor. You have a wide selection of brake pads from TCE.

Other big brake kits are more like $1800+ plus labor.

Here's another thing to consider. If you have an MC with any 15" rim there is simply too little room left for anything but the stock caliper. Go take a look- it's pretty darn close. If you have a 16" or 17" rim then there is more play for something larger.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and support. And if it was missed; there is an update in the Vendor section regarding this and the 'latest' offering which might be of interest to folks.

Old 06-13-2004, 10:13 AM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I am also thinking about getting the EBC rotors, green stuff pads, SS lines, and ATE or Motul fluid, cause that only runs around $550 total, plus install. Tire Rack has the EBC rotors and pads really cheap.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:04 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Stage One brake upgrade

Originally Posted by npartist
Thanks, I am also thinking about getting the EBC rotors, green stuff pads, SS lines, and ATE or Motul fluid, cause that only runs around $550 total, plus install. Tire Rack has the EBC rotors and pads really cheap.
EBC sport grooved rotors- Slotted and dimpled
Front $150 a pair
rear $150 a pair

EBC green pads
Front $79 a pair
Rear $69 a pair

SS brake lines- about $120 a set of four
ATE brake fluid about $12
Labor to install all.

Powerslot rotors are
$136 each for the fronts
$124 each for the rears
Available at Tirerack.com and Webbmotorsports.com

Although the Powerslot cost more they also perform better so if you want to autocross and track your MINI then they would be a good choice. If your use will be primarily on the street and you want to go for looks over performance then the EBC Sport rotors are OK. The presence of slots and dimples will decrease the surface area of the disc and would increase the wear on the pads.

Careful never to spill any brake fluid on your exterior paint- it will eat the paint.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 AM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have some other MINIacs near you, perhaps you could organize a DIY session. Then you can attack such projects as brake upgrades as a team. Brakes are one of the easiest things to do on your MINI and once you get it down pat, you can do a pad and rotor change in under 1 hour. Last time I did this it took 35 minutes.