Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Will these wheels be fine on my CVT cooper???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Panganiban
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Falken wheel circuit spec 17x7

The only thing I'm worried about is that they're 22.5lbs each. How much will this affect my car??? I also plan on throwing on H-sport springs. Will there any rubbing or scraping?

Old 06-03-2004, 04:03 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will fit fine ... look good.

Just picked up new wheels from EdgeRacing also this week. Will install them this weekend. The Flik Wasp 17" ... 19lbs each

Old 06-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Panganiban
3rd Gear
Sounds good, but like I said they're 22lbs each. That's 10lbs. more than the stock 7 hole wheels that I have at the moment.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 PM
nfo
6th Gear
i'd find some other wheels man, but
i'll be able to give you a better answer if you tell me how much those cost?

Old 06-04-2004, 01:12 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>i'd find some other wheels man, but
>>i'll be able to give you a better answer if you tell me how much those cost?
17x7 rims et 40 so they will fit OK, 22.5 pounds and on special from edgeracing.com for $120 each.
That's not bad.

Panganiban,
The biggest problem with a big rim is the big weight. For every one inch larger diameter rim you add about 2 pounds to the rim weight or more. 15" rims can weigh as little as under 10 pounds or about 12 like the stock 15x5.5" holies (7 holes). 16" rims about 15 to 18 pounds and 17" rims from 13 to 25 pounds.

At 22.5 pounds each these rims are no light weights and that will hurt performance in the MC with CVT because there is simply not ample power. In essence they will be sluggish. If you want to simulate the effect try this.

Lets compare the stock 15x5.5 holies plus Continental tires 175/65-15 which together weigh 27 pounds each to your 17x7 rims at 22.5 pounds and some average non runflat 215/45-17 tires which commonly weigh about 22 pounds (Bridgestone S-03s weight a hefty 24 pounds!) for a total of 44.5 or about 17.5 pounds more for each wheel or 70 pounds more overall for wheel weight savings/excess.

The rough conversion is for every pound saved in the wheels it equals about 4 pounds saved on the car itself so 70 pounds on the wheels equals about 280 pounds in your car. So drive your MC with just you and get the tire pressure correct. Then drive the same roads with 280 pounds of your friends in the MC and see how well it handles and accelerates. If you cannot tell any difference then buy these rims. If you are not happy with the results then look for some nice 16x6.5" rims which are more economic, still has a good selection and saves some weight. 15x7" rims would be my choice for an MC with something in the 10 pound rim weight and you can load up with 205/50-15 tires

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll immediately notice more braking distance needed...or more stomp
on your right foot. :smile:

Old 06-04-2004, 10:54 AM
minihune
Panganiban,

What is your budget?
Do you have the stock suspension? If so then you can choose rims from offset 37mm to 48 mm
4x100 bolt pattern

What styles and colors do you like?
What are you going to use the wheels for? Street, autocross, track, driving school? Everything?
Are you looking for performance in cornering or a smoother comfortable ride and all weather handling?
Are you going for looks only or you want some performance and practicality (not too rough ride).
Are you keeping your stock wheels for snow tires?
Lets go shopping!

Old 06-04-2004, 11:29 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
>>
>>The rough conversion is for every pound saved in the wheels it equals about 4 pounds saved on the car itself
>>

Hey minihune, how come a pound saved at the wheels is about the same as 4 pounds in the car?
Thanks

Old 06-04-2004, 11:40 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Hey minihune, how come a pound saved at the wheels is about the same as 4 pounds in the car?

>>because there is simply not ample power

I didn't say it.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:47 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
>>>>Hey minihune, how come a pound saved at the wheels is about the same as 4 pounds in the car?
>>
>>
>>>>because there is simply not ample power
>>
>>
>>I didn't say it.

Yeah, believe me...I know the CVT lacks "ample" power. I was just wondering why - regardless of how many HPs you've got under the bonnet - why adding 1 pound on the wheels feels like adding 4 in the car.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Panganiban
3rd Gear
Primarily, it's just going to be driven for day-to-day on the street. As far as color goes I'm currently running on stock suspension, but was planning on getting the H-sport springs maybe within the the next three months.

What is your budget?
---Hmm...the cheaper the better, but I'm willing to spend if I can get a good price.

Do you have the stock suspension?
---Yes currently running stock, but I planning on getting H-sport springs within the next three months.

What styles and colors do you like?
---As far as style goes, I'm still trying to do research on the different type of rims. 17's would be cool, but nothing too heavy. Well at least ones that my CVT Cooper can run on without risking too much power. Stylewise, I'm liking the racing style ones a bit. As far as color goes, I like the gunmetal and silver. I'm not too into the bling bling looking ones!

What are you going to use the wheels for? Street, autocross, track, driving school? Everything?
---Just day-to-day street driving.

Are you looking for performance in cornering or a smoother comfortable ride and all weather handling?
---smoother comfortable ride!

Are you going for looks only or you want some performance and practicality (not too rough ride).
---performance and practicality

Are you keeping your stock wheels for snow tires?
Don't really have snow in So Cal, but I'm probably gonna keep em just so I have a spare set.

Old 06-04-2004, 06:26 PM
minihune
>>Primarily, it's just going to be driven for day-to-day on the street. As far as color goes I'm currently running on stock suspension, but was planning on getting the H-sport springs maybe within the the next three months.

OK this sounds fine. We can keep the costs down a bit with the right tires. We can go for moderate to longer lasting tires.

>>What is your budget?
>>---Hmm...the cheaper the better, but I'm willing to spend if I can get a good price.

Everything is relative. A solid price is a good way to contain costs. It's easy to spend $1000, $2000, over $2000 when you are looking at 17" wheels esp if they are lightweight. 15" rims are cheaper and lighter due to the smaller size and 16" are in between.

>>Do you have the stock suspension?
>>---Yes currently running stock, but I planning on getting H-sport springs within the next three months.

Stock suspension will allow us more selection of rims with a wider variety of wheel offsets from 37mm to 48mm. The lowered springs will limit offset to 42 to 48mm range but if H-sports are what you want later then you must plan for the wheels that will fit for the future or you will have rubbing in the wheel wells in the rear at about 2 o'clock on the left rear and 10 o'clock on the right rear.

>>What styles and colors do you like?
>>---As far as style goes, I'm still trying to do research on the different type of rims. 17's would be cool, but nothing too heavy. Well at least ones that my CVT Cooper can run on without risking too much power. Stylewise, I'm liking the racing style ones a bit. As far as color goes, I like the gunmetal and silver. I'm not too into the bling bling looking ones!

What color is your MC? Silver or gunmetal- OK. What about anthracite? Two tone like black or anthracite with silver edge?
Racing style rims?- I need more info like-
5 spoke
6 spoke
wire mesh
more than 6 spoke
double spoke
deep dish

>>
>>What are you going to use the wheels for? Street, autocross, track, driving school? Everything?
>>---Just day-to-day street driving.

Just street- OK

>>Are you looking for performance in cornering or a smoother comfortable ride and all weather handling?
>>---smoother comfortable ride!

OK- we can choose 6, 6.5 or 7" wide rims. Something to match the tires and not bee too expensive.
>>Are you going for looks only or you want some performance and practicality (not too rough ride).
>>---performance and practicality

OK- not a problem
>>Are you keeping your stock wheels for snow tires?
>>Don't really have snow in So Cal, but I'm probably gonna keep em just so I have a spare set.

For tires I'd say go with all season ultra or high performance tires and replace the stock brake shoes with Mintex redbox or EBC green pads front and rear.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>>>
>>>>The rough conversion is for every pound saved in the wheels it equals about 4 pounds saved on the car itself
>>>>
>>
>>Hey minihune, how come a pound saved at the wheels is about the same as 4 pounds in the car?
>>Thanks
>>

I think it's because the rapid rolling of the wheels creates centrifical force from the wheels center hub to the outside of the tire, a heavy wheel transmits more centifical force than a light wheel. It's just like if you tie a rock on a string and spin it around your head. The faster you spin it the heavier it will feel to you. If you spin it really fast the string will break and the rock may damage something...................

What was the question again?

Old 06-04-2004, 07:54 PM
minihune
>>>>>>Hey minihune, how come a pound saved at the wheels is about the same as 4 pounds in the car?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>because there is simply not ample power

>>Yeah, believe me...I know the CVT lacks "ample" power. I was just wondering why - regardless of how many HPs you've got under the bonnet - why adding 1 pound on the wheels feels like adding 4 in the car.

FIrst the MC with CVT has power. IF the right light wheels are used then the power of 115 HP+ is "ample". How do I know this? Because there are some MC with CVT doing excellent at SCCA autocross events across the country in H-stock class racing.

To answer the question about weight and it's effects there are some basic things.
Since power from the engine is not unlimited, one way to get better performance is to lighten the load or weight of the car. Two places are available to loose weight. First is the weight of the load the wheels carry- the body of the car, the engine, the passengers. The second is the wheels- rims and tires, the hubs and rotors, lug nuts or anything that is moving round in circles.

Since the car is started with the wheels in place and still it will take energy to start spinning those wheels to get them to turn. The heavier the wheel the more force it takes to make the wheel turn faster. You use the same energy to keep a wheel moving at a constant speed but you use more energy to accelerate a heavier wheel to a faster speed. Also if you want to slow the car down you can quickly decelerate a lighter wheel with less force than with a heavier wheel- this helps the brakes not get overworked.

So if you want performance you should always look to see if you can loose weight in the rims and tires first if at all possible and the rough estimate of what difference it makes is about one pound of wheel weight saved equals 4 to 5 pounds of car weight saved.

You can read more about all this on this old thread as we have discussed this topic many times in the past- (good links to articles as well)
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=19082

Old 06-04-2004, 08:07 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Thanks for the info and links, minihune. Very interesting. :smile:

Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Hi guys - this is ny first time posting so forgive my mistakes. I just ordered some 15" konig heliums for my MC with CVT. I currently have the stock 16" - 5 spoke and runflats.

I'm hoping to get better performance and handling from the 15" set up. I'm going with falken azenis sport 205/50-15 tires.

I've always heard the reason for the weight difference is "unsprung weight." I should have it in about a month.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:20 AM
minihune
>>Hi guys - this is ny first time posting so forgive my mistakes. I just ordered some 15" konig heliums for my MC with CVT. I currently have the stock 16" - 5 spoke and runflats.
>>
>>I'm hoping to get better performance and handling from the 15" set up. I'm going with falken azenis sport 205/50-15 tires.
>>
>>I've always heard the reason for the weight difference is "unsprung weight." I should have it in about a month.

J-Didi,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.
Konig Heliums in 15x6.5" rims with offset 40mm and weight of 11.25 pounds each for $121 at 1010tires.com should be fine for an MC with stock suspension but if you lower the car you may run into some rubbing with any set of springs that lowers more than one inch front and rear.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 AM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info! Are there any other GOOD tires out there in the same price range that are 205/50-15??? I've found other 205/55's but not 205/50's :smile:

Old 06-05-2004, 10:52 AM
minihune
Wheels are kinda tough to shop for because you have to like the design but here are some criteria-

MC comes with stock 7 hole (12 pounds) or 8 spoke (15 pound) 15x5.5 rims with et of 45 mm or 5 spoke 16x6.5 rims et 45mm (about 15 pounds per rim).

Good places to start would be Rspeed.net in the MINI section on wheels and look at Rota wheels in 16x7 with packages like this one-$849 for a set of four
http://rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?dept...p;prod=405-295
These are for any 16x7 Rota wheel that they carry plus Nitto tires (might be able to get better tires for a little more)
Or this more performance package with Falken Azenis sport tires (good for autocross but rougher on the street)
http://rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?dept...p;prod=405-298 for $975 a set of four
Rspeed has mostly 16x7 and 17" rims but for rotas they might be able to get 15x6.5" rims in similar styles et 40mm weight about 12 pounds each for about $445 a set of four rims. Or 17x7.5" rims with et 45mm weighing 16.5 pounds costing about $545 a set of four rims.

The 40mm offset is fine if you run only stock suspension while the 45 offset is safe for stock and lowered suspensions.

Some info on rota wheels-
Circuit 8 (replicas of Mugen MF-8 wheels)

In gun metallic finish
15x6.5 et 38mm 12 pounds About $440+ per set of four
16x7 et 40mm 16 pounds $495+ per set of four
Both in Gun metallic, Silver, Bronze, White, Flat Black , Steel Grey, Sports Bronze, Royal colors with polished lip-gun metallic, black.

Slip Stream (replicas of Spoon SW-388 -light racing wheels)

Gun metallic finish
15x6.5 et 40mm 12 pounds About $445+ per set of four
16x7 et 40, or 45mm 13.5 pounds $500+ per set of four
Both in Gun metallic, Silver, Bronze, White, Flat Black , Flat Gun Metal

Sub zero (replicas of Racing Hart CP035 wheels)

Bronze finish
15x6.5 et 40mm 12 pounds About $440+ per set of four
16x7 et 40mm 14.5 pounds $485+ per set of four
17x7.5 et 45mm 16.5 pounds $520+per set of four
In Gun metallic, Polished Silver, Bronze, White, Flat Black , Steel Grey, Gold or
Royal colors (with polished lip) Silver, Gun Metallic, Bronze, Black, White, Steel, Grey

Tarmac (replicas of Prodrive P-1 wheels)

17x7.5 et 45mm 19 pounds $540+ per set of four
Steel gray, Black, Bronze, Gun Metallic, White, Savannah Gray, Silver

Attack (replicas of Volk racing Gram Light wheels)

Bronze finish
15x6.5 et 40mm 12 pounds $445 per set of four
17x7.5 et 45mm 16.5 pounds $540 per set of four
Silver, Bronze, White, Steel Grey

Battle (replicas of Advan model 5 wheel)

Bronze finish
15x6.5 et 40mm 12 pounds $440 per set of four
17x7.5 et 45mm 16.5 pounds $545 per set of four
Silver w/polished lip, Gun metallic, Bronze, Black, White, Steel Grey, Gold

Grid (replicas of Volk TE-37 wheels)

Silver finish
15x6.5 et 38 or 40 mm 14.5 pounds $445 per set of four
16x7 et 40mm 16 pounds $500+ per set of four
Polished silver, Bronze, white
With polished lip- in Silver, gun Metallic, Steel Grey, Black

Circuit 10 (replicas of Mugen MF10 wheels)

White finish
15x6.5 et 45mm ? weight $450
16x7 et 45mm ? weight $500
Steel Grey. Polished silver, Sports Bronze, Bronze, White, Classic white, Gen Metallic

Source of Rotas listed above
http://www.jaydm.com/c8.htm
One special at jaydm is
Rota Group N rims (replicas of Mugen RNR wheels)

silver finish at a special price of $395 for set of four includes shipping

Black with red lip!
15x6.5 et 40mm 12 pounds $445+ per set of four
Silver, Gun Metallic, Flat Black, Flat Black with red lip, Bronze

Edgeracing.com is also a good MINI source of wheels- check out the Flik wheels
they are well priced but not as light weight. good selection of styles and colors.
They sell tires too.

If you like 17" rims and want a good all season tire this Falken ZE-512 is worth a look at $110
http://rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?dept...p;prod=405-718

Otherwise other good tires for all season would be-
Toyo Proxes 4 see this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ic=27651&4

Kumho Ecsta MX from tirerack.com see this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ic=27734&6

Old 06-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by resmini

I think it's because the rapid rolling of the wheels creates centrifical force from the wheels center hub to the outside of the tire, a heavy wheel transmits more centifical force than a light wheel. It's just like if you tie a rock on a string and spin it around your head. The faster you spin it the heavier it will feel to you. If you spin it really fast the string will break and the rock may damage something...................

What was the question again?
The 1 lb unsprung weight is "percieved" as 4 lbs above the springs. Its based on location of the the mass, if the weight bearn by the springs or not. Eveything below the spring level, wen lightened feels much more dramaic, as its not carried by your springs. Hence the 4 lbs to 1 in the seat of you pants!

Alex