Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

205/45/16 on a 40os and lowering (???)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 11:47 AM
ugly_duckling
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
205/45/16 on a 40os and lowering (???)

:smile: Hello NAM community,

I'm always lurking and reading the forum when I supposed to be working. This forum is most definitely the best source of information on the web. I have done plenty of searches and now it time I think i need to post a question. I have a IB/W MCS w/ sunroof and S lites. I want some new wheels within the 6 months.

So far I have my mind set on some 16 inch Rota Circuit 8 wheels. I want something lighter with a smaller diameter for better performance and ride. The wheels I want have a 40os and from what I have heard is that with that I would have rubbing if I lowered the MINI 1 inch.

Questions are:
Can I lower my Mini with H-Sports lowering springs and pair the wheel with 205/45/16s' and not have rubbing issues?
But will the thin sidewall of the 45 be susceptible to durability treadwear issues?
And will the wheel be susceptible to light to moderate pothole damage?
Will this setup look dumb? (your opinion does matter)
Does anybody have Pics of a set up similar to this?
Will I notice any acceleration improvement due to the smaller diameter?

whew!!!! lots of questions

I welcome any facts/opinions/experiences/suggestions/ PICS and shop talk I can get.

Peace be with you,
ugly_duckling

Old 06-09-2004, 10:10 PM
ugly_duckling
2nd Gear
oops

I realize that the tire size I want does not exist in the 205 width. So I guess I mean 205/50/16. Im tired thinking about wheels . Will I have rubbing with this tire and 40 os?

ugly duckling

..any comments?

Old 06-09-2004, 10:28 PM
RSpeed
Former Vendor
One of our most popular combo
is Circuit 8s with 215/45/16 Falken Azenis.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Rotas are good

Originally Posted by ugly_duckling
:smile: Hello NAM community,

So far I have my mind set on some 16 inch Rota Circuit 8 wheels. I want something lighter with a smaller diameter for better performance and ride. The wheels I want have a 40os and from what I have heard is that with that I would have rubbing if I lowered the MINI 1 inch.

Questions are:
Can I lower my Mini with H-Sports lowering springs and pair the wheel with 205/45/16s' and not have rubbing issues?
But will the thin sidewall of the 45 be susceptible to durability treadwear issues?
And will the wheel be susceptible to light to moderate pothole damage?
Will this setup look dumb? (your opinion does matter)
Does anybody have Pics of a set up similar to this?
Will I notice any acceleration improvement due to the smaller diameter?

Peace be with you,
ugly_duckling
The Rota 16x7 with offset +40mm (15.8 pounds/rim) is OK and won't rub with 215/45-16 tires if you don't lower your MINI but with H-sport lowering springs (usually +42mm offset is safe) you might be really close. Also depends a little on which tire you choose. Check with Rspeed and let them know you have an MCS and which springs you might go with. They do alot of wheels for MINIs so they should know.

The 45 series tire should be fine if you keep the inflation pressure correct for the MINI and you are not abusive. The tire wear will depend on the thread rating for the tire you choose. Falken Azenis Sports are more aggresive and sticky so they don't last quite as long. Ask Rspeed about their Toyo tires.

Potholes are always the enemy. I'd say your stock tires and rims are more prone to damage than Rota circuit 8 rims and non runflats. You still have to be careful. If you are really worried then opt for 50 series or 55 series tires for the comfort but they will not be a good handling and responsive as 45 series tires.

Does it look dumb? Uh. Nope.
See for yourself-

http://rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?dept...6&prod=405-506
Finishes-Silver, Bronze, Gunmetal Gray or White.

Performance on acceleration will have to do more with the total weight difference of your wheels per corner. Your S-lytes and runflats are about 48 pounds per wheel. The Rota circuit 8 rims are 15.8 pounds and the Falken Azenis tires in 215/45-16 are about 22.8 pounds (38.6 total). Lighter wheels (almost 9.5 pounds each) allow quicker acceleration and braking and in this case much better performance and with the Falkens about the same or better smoothness.

Complete rim and tire set of four is $975 with $85 for shipping
http://rspeed.net/mini/item.asp?dept...6&prod=405-298

The Falken Azenis Sport tire.
Treadwear 200 Z rated about $100 per tire.
From Edgeracing.com
"Just a notch below a dedicated race tire, the Falken Azenis Sport is the tire to have if you wish to dominate your SCCA Street Tire class. Maximum dry grip, good wet performance (but not good over standing water). The Falken Azenis Sport runs wider than most tires with the same size specs and has very stiff sidewalls."

If you want a more comfortable ride with still good performance then the 205/50-16 size allows for these good tires from Edgeracing.com (and some also at tirerack.com)
Toyo Proxes 4 300 treadwear V rated $78 per tire
http://edgeracing.com/tire/891/
Yokohama AVS ES100 280 treadwear W rated $84 per tire
http://edgeracing.com/tire/606/
Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03 220 treadwear W rated $144 per tire
http://edgeracing.com/tire/616/
(Great grip/heavy tire at 24 pounds compared to 21.5 for the ES100s)

At tirerack.com
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 $137 each (nice tire) 280 treadwear Z rated
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 06-10-2004, 10:45 AM
ugly_duckling
2nd Gear
Thanks minihune I appreciate the useful reliable information?

I think I have to go back to the drawing board . Why do I have to care about getting different wheels !!!!

My options now are:
  1. 17 Flik Wasp in anthracite w/ 42mm os - I should have no problems with lowering them.
  2. ASA AR1in silver w/ 45mm os - Nice looking wanna be BBS
And my questions now are:
  1. Does a heavier wheel equal a stronger durable wheel vs a lighter wheel?
  2. What kind width options do I have if I want to choose a 45 series 16inch tire?
"This is so educational"......goldenboy

Muchos gracias,

ugly_duckling

Last edited by ugly_duckling; 06-10-2004 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-10-2004, 11:14 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ugly_duckling
My options now are:
  1. 17 Flik Wasp in anthracite w/ 42mm os - I should have no problems with lowering them.
  2. ASA AR1in silver w/ 45mm os - Nice looking wanna be BBS
And my questions now are:[list=1][*]Does a heavier wheel equal a stronger durable wheel vs a lighter wheel?[*]What kind width options do I have if I want to choose a 45 series 16inch tire?

Muchos gracias,

ugly_duckling
The Flik Wasp and ASA AR1 are fine.
Heavier wheel- gives strength by being built heavy and is cheaper to manufacture. Gravity cast rims are this way. You get what you pay for. But for the given weight there is strength for street driving and daily use. When using runflat tires more of the pothole trauma is transfered especially if using 45 seriers low sidewalls to your rims. Hence the MINI comes with relatively durable heavy BBS built rims but if you hit a big pothole hard and fast you will bend the rim.

"Stronger and durable wheel" is a relative term. All rims whether steel or alloy can be damaged if given enough of a reason. You cannot be too rough on rims especially lighter weight rims when using low profile 40 and 45 series tires. You should always be careful anyway since tires and rims are expensive.

Lighter and cheap wheels- may lack a little strength that the really expensive brand name rims provide (SSR, Centerline, RH Hart, etc). Again, you always have to watch in front and not follow too close any car or truck so that you have some warning of impending trouble. I have Centerline RPMs in 17x7 and stay away from potholes like the plague and they perform great. 45 series Yokohama ES100s and no trouble at all. I've hit a few minor potholes but not going very fast.

The advantage of the expensive wheels is they are made solidly with pretty good technology these days. They are as durable as can be made given their relatively lighter weight. You still have to watch where you are going and be careful. The advantage of the less expensive wheels is if you have trouble they are cheaper to replace. They cost less and may not be quite as light but durable enough for autocross and street driving.

If you live in an area of bad roads and lots of potholes go with moderately light rims, not the lightest and consider 50 series tires.

For 45 series tires consider 215/45-16. Availability varies so check with your sources. Good performance but stiffer ride.