Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need help on front brake kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on front brake kits

Does anyone have firsthand experience with either the UUC (Webb Motorsports) front brake kit or the TCE Special brake kit. both have similar pricing at $1300 a set and will fit 17" wheels without spacers. This will be for aggressive street fun and occasional track use (2-3 times a yr). Thanks for the help.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:38 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Do the fronts, Do the rears.

If you decide to install a big brake kit for the front brakes,
what are your plans for upgrading the rear brakes/rotors/pads/brakelines and fluid?

Also you have 17" aftermarket wheels so that is good. With the UUC, Webbmotorsports reports that you can still use rims like the SSR Comp in 16" or the AK monza 16x6.5" with 44mm offset. Check with randy to be sure. Also the UUC can come with a rear upgrade for the brakes for a four brake upgrade cost of about $1275 but again check with randy.

The UUC will fit under stock 17x7" rims and uses a C5 Corvette brake pad.

The TCE comes in various front brake kit forms (rear kit coming soon).
----------------
Quote from the TCE website:
Base kits:
Street Sport 13.0 x .81 with FSL calipers $1,059
*SPECIAL 12.2 x .81 with DP calipers $1,269
Road Race 13.0 x 1.10 with FSL calipers $1,099

Notes: Installation will require minor grinding of the front spindle ears to clearance the caliper ears, except on the Street Sport SPECIAL

Base Street Sport kit fits stock 17s with supplied minimal wheel spacer. Wider Road Race kit requires ample spoke clearance to accommodate the wider rotor and caliper combo. The TCE SPECIAL is designed for both the stock 16” wheel as well as fitting the 17s without a wheel spacer. It is available ONLY in the DP caliper/12.2 size- very nice street kit utilizing the radial mount DynaPro caliper incorporating fully ‘booted’ pistons.
----------------

Options are available for various TCE brake pads. Lots of choices there and pretty flexible for having pads good for street and others good for autocross or track. For TCE there are two thicknesses of rotor and two rotor diameters (Street sport is probably just fine). You'd have to design your own rear brake mod kit consisting of better brake pads, maybe a rear Powerslot rotor, Stainless steel brake lines and fluid upgrade (or wait for TCE's rear upgrade kit).

Picture of sample TCE front brake caliper/13" rotor.

TCE is pretty new, not sure how many have got it yet. Randy can let you know about any MINIs with the UUC so far. You might contact Randy Webb to ask if there are mounting issues and grinding needed to install the UUC.

I don't like headaches so I still have my stock calipers but did change out my front and rear rotors to Zimmerman Crossdrilled, added SS brakelines, Mintex redbox pads and upgraded to ATE super blue fluid.

Last edited by minihune; 06-11-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:23 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
FYI, the first 'special' or radial mount DynaPro kit is spoken for at this time and will be the basis for the test fit of final brackets. I don't expect any problems with it but certainly don't want to have a batch of brackets that are not correct!

I may also do some quick test fit on a car here in Phoenix to see what is required for the 16" wheel fit.

My expectations are that this package will be a very, very good mix of performance, fit, and value despite it costing a bit more than the 'normal' kits of slightly larger size. It may simplly have some limitations for all out track use only applications. Still quite worthy of about anything you can throw at it short of racing Long Beach maybe.