Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014 | 09:17 AM
laforze
4th Gear
Here's a better angle.

Name:  20140413_092200_zps9amwbkp0.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  76.3 KB

Old 04-25-2014 | 10:07 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Here are photos with Black and Silver wheels on my Clubman.
[IMG]

Old 04-25-2014 | 10:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Those are very nice , really like the Factory BBS R90's . They look great.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-25-2014 | 10:21 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Those are very nice , really like the Factory BBS R90's . They look great.
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
Coop3r,

those R90's look OUTSTANDING dude! Wow....wow....
Thanx Guys - I really should of took before pictures as they were BTS (Beat to Stuff) it was a lot of work, but I am really happy with the outcome.

Old 04-25-2014 | 12:27 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
On my 135i, I had both. On my JCW, I have both. On the 135i, the black went well with the white car and shadowline trim, but the alloys looked awesome too. On my JCW I prefer the alloy as the car is already black and I hate the murdered out look (especially since I have removed as much chrome as possible). My wife has a blue JCW and the black works well on her car.

My vote, silver on my black JCW and black on my Blue JCW!

Old 04-25-2014 | 08:19 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
I like black wheels with silver accents and I think my color looks good with both my winter black wheels and my summer silver ones. It really comes down to how the car is styled.

Attached Thumbnails Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?-image-3973513560.jpg   Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?-image-1490154581.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014 | 01:31 AM
MiniKar
|
5th Gear
Maybe the answer is everyone should have 3 sets of wheels; black, silver and gunmetal ?

I agree that Chrome is alittle loud, but silver is easier to get used too.

I also agree that it depends alot on the Mini's body color and Roof color !

Black wheels don't show brake dust, but Silver wheels give the Mini contrast.

Lets hear more thoughts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Old 04-26-2014 | 04:29 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
If you have a very nice wheel/spoke pattern (BBS RS type and Work wheel comes to mind, and even the cheaper Rota MC in 18) that you want to show off then silver/chrome is by far the best choice. Unfortunately silver is also the standard color of OEM wheels, so you have to have a really nice unique looking wheel or it will look like every other car out there. Otherwise, black is a good look for most, simply because they don't look like standard silver wheels, hide brake dust, and just look plain sinister.

The problem is I just saw a Nissan (?) commercial and it looks like they're now showing off black wheels (albeit with white trim) as standard equipment on their economy models. Once you start seeing this, you know it's getting too popular and its time to run for the hills.

Last edited by DrewN; 04-26-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2014 | 06:15 AM
JCWBlu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
If you have a very nice wheel/spoke pattern (BBS RS type and Work wheel comes to mind, and even the cheaper Rota MC in 18) that you want to show off then silver/chrome is by far the best choice. Unfortunately silver is also the standard color of OEM wheels, so you have to have a really nice unique looking wheel or it will look like every other car out there. Otherwise, black is a good look for most, simply because they don't look like standard silver wheels, hide brake dust, and just look plain sinister.

The problem is I just saw a Nissan (?) commercial and it looks like they're now showing off black wheels (albeit with white trim) as standard equipment on their economy models. Once you start seeing this, you know it's getting too popular and its time to run for the hills.

"Sinister" is the perfect word to describe the look of black wheels. I have a Starlight blue JCW Paceman coming soon with the OEM black with silver outboard faces. I plan on removing the run-flats, use these OEM wheels for my dedicated winter snows and purchase 19" all black wheels for my summer high performance non run-flats.

In my opinion silver is too mild and doesn't bring out an aggressive personality I'm looking to achieve with my car. Again it depends on the owners personal tastes and personality.

Old 04-26-2014 | 10:14 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Dare to be different. I went with white.

Old 04-27-2014 | 08:48 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Love white , but having had them on a Ducati and
How fast they dirty up and how hard to clean never
Again . But they do look great when clean.

Old 04-27-2014 | 09:14 AM
turbofun
2nd Gear
Both but I opted for silver both times I purchased a MINI because I feel the black rims are more suited to the younger generation. I think black looks great but for me it would not be acting my age if that makes sense. I am 47 for what it's worth. The black wheels shows curb rash more prominantly if you don't touch it up too.

Old 04-27-2014 | 11:47 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Love white , but having had them on a Ducati and
How fast they dirty up and how hard to clean never
Again . But they do look great when clean.
+1. The Mini white spoked wheels are very nice. Love seeing them particularly on red Minis....

I can only imagine how difficult they are to keep clean based on how quickly my OEM alloys get dusted !

Old 04-27-2014 | 06:06 PM
JCWBlu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by turbofun
Both but I opted for silver both times I purchased a MINI because I feel the black rims are more suited to the younger generation. I think black looks great but for me it would not be acting my age if that makes sense. I am 47 for what it's worth. The black wheels shows curb rash more prominantly if you don't touch it up too.

You make a valid point; black wheels are more suitable to a younger generation. Although I'm 54 I do like the aggressive "Sinister" look the black wheels provide. Although I do keep my cars relatively clean; hiding brake dust is a plus when I'm unable to wash the car for more than two weeks.

Old 04-27-2014 | 09:59 PM
kabukiken
1st Gear
A little comparison of my MCS with silver + white roof
&
Black with black roof

In the end I went with the black black to bring out the Horizon Blue color more.

I left bits of white on the spoiler and wordings on the brakes and rims to give it a little subtle contrast.

White roof + silver rims
Name:  photoe_zpsa0cea04a.jpg
Views: 2740
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  IMG_6627_zpsc7121946.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  79.6 KB

white roof + black rims. An example of how black rims doesnt really work.
Car looks abit confused.
Name:  1_zps3a52785d.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  165.9 KB

And then ended up with black roof + black rims
Name:  photo1_zps13b21bc9.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  92.9 KB
Name:  photo5_zps1af4c853.jpg
Views: 4472
Size:  70.5 KB

The following users liked this post:
Zillon (12-05-2021)
Old 04-27-2014 | 10:12 PM
vetsvette
I'm ordering gloss black wheels with a polished rim for mine.

Old 04-28-2014 | 02:21 PM
Mark97xp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniErik
cars chili red with black roof and all chromoe blacked out. i like mine with black wheels.

really depends on the car
I went back and forth on my choice and like you have chili red with black roof so i went with nuespeed RSe05 in Black.
Not to mention these cars shed a lot of brake dust on your rims so black works nicely covering that up.

Old 04-28-2014 | 09:43 PM
turbofun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCWBlu
You make a valid point; black wheels are more suitable to a younger generation. Although I'm 54 I do like the aggressive "Sinister" look the black wheels provide. Although I do keep my cars relatively clean; hiding brake dust is a plus when I'm unable to wash the car for more than two weeks.
Good point likewise on the brake dust. If you can do it, that's great. I really liked the smoked headlight lenses, black stripes and black wheels theme but I just couldn't do it myself and was afraid I might regret it. So I just went for the black stripes and silver wheels, & clear xenons. Love what I got but I admire the black wheels and black/smoke color combo too. If you can get away with it and are happy with it that's awesome.

Old 05-07-2014 | 06:04 PM
RazorV
2nd Gear
No one has posted these yet. Just bought them completely refinished. Please share thoughts. Not sure of the gun-metal centers. I think I like silver better but I will give it a month or so.

In my signature line are the s-lites that came with the Mini.

So, opinions welcome.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?-img_5866.jpg   Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?-img_5867.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014 | 06:42 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Love gloss black wheels not matte or flat black wheels. Overall though silver is better.

Old 05-11-2014 | 02:10 PM
turbofun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RazorV
No one has posted these yet. Just bought them completely refinished. Please share thoughts. Not sure of the gun-metal centers. I think I like silver better but I will give it a month or so.

So, opinions welcome.

Greg
Sweet Ride! Awesome wheels!

Old 05-11-2014 | 02:41 PM
dfwallace48
2nd Gear
I don't have a Mini YET, but if I still get to contribute....

My feeling on this, to this point, is on the light and medium color vehicles I like the black wheels, and on the very dark colors I like silver.

Old 05-12-2014 | 02:29 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RazorV

So, opinions welcome.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Love that wheel style from Mini. It's simply fantastic. I also like the gun metal. We went through the same thing recently. My wife's CM JCW has your exact color combo, chili red with white roof. We put some Neuspeed 19" gunmetal wheels on her car, and really like them.

The white and chili red make a bold visual statement for the car. The gunmetal wheels brings the brightness level down just a tad below the belt line of the car, which provides a very nice balance to the overall appearance, IMO. the color of the wheels also gives the car a very aggressive stance.

Not sure about your wheels, but her's have a slight metallic content and in the sun give off a champagne color. Very nice.

Old 05-12-2014 | 08:15 AM
RazorV
2nd Gear
Thanks for the vote of confidence (if you will). Ja they are stating to grow on me and I have gotten quite a few nice remarks from people that see the car. Yes, the Gunmetal does have a slight metallic look to it also.

Thanks again,
Greg

Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
Hi Greg,

Love that wheel style from Mini. It's simply fantastic. I also like the gun metal. We went through the same thing recently. My wife's CM JCW has your exact color combo, chili red with white roof. We put some Neuspeed 19" gunmetal wheels on her car, and really like them.

The white and chili red make a bold visual statement for the car. The gunmetal wheels brings the brightness level down just a tad below the belt line of the car, which provides a very nice balance to the overall appearance, IMO. the color of the wheels also gives the car a very aggressive stance.

Not sure about your wheels, but her's have a slight metallic content and in the sun give off a champagne color. Very nice.

Old 05-12-2014 | 10:23 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minikar
i have seen lots of mini's with both silver and black wheels and i can't choose which looks better.

What do the nam members think ?

Lets get this pole going and see if we can get all the nam members to voice their thoughts on this subject.

I'll go first.

I have a 1st gen silver mcs, i started with 17" silver challange wheels, and then tried a set of 17" drag dr-31's in black.

I think a silver mini looks better with silver wheels . . . . . .

Ok nam members, lets hear what you think
black

Attached Thumbnails Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Do Mini's look better with Silver wheels or Black wheels ?