Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Just Purchased Yoko AVS ES-100 but....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:52 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenchan
>one side effect of running higher pressures is better fuel economy.

...and increasing the chance to actually damage your tires upon impact.
I've run three sets of tires at higher than spec'd pressures and have had no damage upon impact.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:16 AM
squid2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokos also in 195-60-15

My Yokos are 195-60-15 on 15 x 7 Kosei K1.
Good summer commuter tire, grip well even though
nearing the wear bars.

I will be looking for new 15 summer tires soon, it's hard to search
of max/ultra performance tires in 15 inch size on Tire Rack.

Old 07-31-2004, 02:54 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rotated my tires today--after passing 3,000 miles. Wasn't too hard. It did take me a couple hours though---had to carefully wash each wheel, and spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to put my spare tire back--I took it out to put air in it--and couldn't figure out where all my tools go back in the tool kit.

I'm still happy with my tires. =)

Old 08-03-2004, 09:57 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
I've noticed in skimming through this thread that those with the 17's don't complain of tramlining, but Octane on the 16's does. Does anyone know if there's a reason that the 16's might tramline more than the 17's?

I'm planning on replacing my runflats (16's) with non-RF, probably the same tires that Octane has. I don't mind the tramlining as it stands with my stock tires, but I certainly don't want it to get worse! I also really like my stock white V-spokes and don't really want to replace them with 17's.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
OctaneGuy
Hey Jenn,

It really depends on where you drive mostly too. When I was down at the WCM run, I really didn't experience the tramlining that I feel when I'm in the Los Angeles area. I've got 3,500 miles on them now, and more or less gotten used to it. It's still there and I notice it every day, but knowing how great they are in the Canyons, I don't mind the wobbling/weaving so much.

Richard

Originally Posted by SCoop
I've noticed in skimming through this thread that those with the 17's don't complain of tramlining, but Octane on the 16's does. Does anyone know if there's a reason that the 16's might tramline more than the 17's?

I'm planning on replacing my runflats (16's) with non-RF, probably the same tires that Octane has. I don't mind the tramlining as it stands with my stock tires, but I certainly don't want it to get worse! I also really like my stock white V-spokes and don't really want to replace them with 17's.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Panganiban
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I rotated my tires today--after passing 3,000 miles. Wasn't too hard. It did take me a couple hours though---had to carefully wash each wheel, and spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to put my spare tire back--I took it out to put air in it--and couldn't figure out where all my tools go back in the tool kit.

I'm still happy with my tires. =)
Sorry about this newb question, but what as far as tire rotation goes, are you just swapping wheels from front to back? A friend of mine told me that I have to bring it to a shop to have them remove the rim and flip the tire inside out. Just has to ask cus I plan on doing a rotation in about 2,000 miles.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:24 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
I've noticed in skimming through this thread that those with the 17's don't complain of tramlining, but Octane on the 16's does. .
We are running 16s and there is hardly any tramilining, even on our crappy Northwest highways. Currently I've got 28lbs front and rear.

My only complaints with these tires is that they are rather loud and heavy.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:26 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Panganiban
Sorry about this newb question, but what as far as tire rotation goes, are you just swapping wheels from front to back? A friend of mine told me that I have to bring it to a shop to have them remove the rim and flip the tire inside out. Just has to ask cus I plan on doing a rotation in about 2,000 miles.
Panganiban, I've had my tires rotated by a shop every 5000 miles and they've never taken them off the rims to 'flip them inside out'. All they do is swap front to rear and vice versa. If you don't have directional tires (who has those these days?) then you can also cross-rotate them.

Thanks for the input above Richard! I'd still like to know if there's a real difference in tramlining between the 16's and 17's and why that might be...

Old 08-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Panganiban
3rd Gear
Panganiban, I've had my tires rotated by a shop every 5000 miles and they've never taken them off the rims to 'flip them inside out'. All they do is swap front to rear and vice versa. If you don't have directional tires (who has those these days?) then you can also cross-rotate them.

Thanks for the input above Richard! I'd still like to know if there's a real difference in tramlining between the 16's and 17's and why that might be...
Thanks SCoop!

Old 08-03-2004, 10:49 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
I went from worn out ES100's in 205-50-16 on stock rims to 215-45-17 on Centerline RPM wheels and noticed much less tramlining on the same road. This could be from the tires being worn, the out side edges were rounded compared to the squared off edges of the new tires. I like the grip but they could be a little quieter.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
I like to hear an answer on this too. I just had my tires rotated and at the same time I had my new wheels put on. Since I'm a curious mind I watched them do the whole process (and to make sure they didn't scratch my new wheels...grrr!). I could see the wear on the outside of my tire and they flipped them to the opposite side of my car so it would wear even. I'm guessing that they criss-crossed them. Is this normally what is done when rotating or is it usually switching front to back?

To me just switching the tires from front to back really doesn't make a big difference...especially the way we drive in the twisties.

Knowing my luck with this 'Tire Company' it'll be extra to rotate my tires.

-Cyn

Old 08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Cyn, if you have 'directional' tires, they only rotate front to back. If you have non-directional tires they can cross-rotate. From what I gather, most modern tires, especially performance tires, are directional. You rotate front to back because the fronts will wear faster than the rears on a FWD car.

Hope that helps...

Old 08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
OctaneGuy
Yep, just swapping back to front. I hadn't heard about this flipping them inside out, but I suppose if the wear were uneven this might be necessary. I'm no expert, so I don't really know.

When I rotated my tires at 3,500 miles they still looked new with all the printing still intact, so I would guess it depends on your manner of driving. After rotation, and a couple hundred miles, I did do some vigorous canyon carving as can be seen here in this video.

They should all be even now!

(PC)
http://store.northamericanmotoring.c...ibu_8_1_04.wmv

(MAC)
http://store.northamericanmotoring.c...ibu_8_1_04.mov

Richard

Old 08-05-2004, 07:27 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
To me just switching the tires from front to back really doesn't make a big difference...especially the way we drive in the twisties.

Old 08-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rotation

Aysemetrical tires will say "this side out" on one sidewall. These can be rotated cris cross!

Directional tires will say "~> rotation direction" These get rotated front to rear.

Directionals can be cris crossed, but the water handing capability is totaly negated if not reversed. Some choose this for a dry lapping day set up - even out the wear.

Alex

Old 08-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Aysemetrical tires will say "this side out" on one sidewall. These can be rotated cris cross!

Directional tires will say "~> rotation direction" These get rotated front to rear.

Directionals can be cris crossed, but the water handing capability is totaly negated if not reversed. Some choose this for a dry lapping day set up - even out the wear.

Alex
Thanks Alex! That's what I thought.

-Cyn